Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

A couple of months ago, I had ordered from Doctors Fosters and Smith the 4oz Chicken Liver treats which one of my cats absolutely went crazy over. I ordered it a second time, the exact same container 4oz, Chicken Liver flavor and noticed that the pieces were bigger and there was a very potent smell unlike the first container I received. The cat which went crazy over this treat, will have absolutely nothing to do with it. It seems that this new container of the same product smells and looks completely different. Has anyone had experience with this treat from Drs. Fosters and Smith? Do you think they would issue me a replacement or refund if I contact them?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I keep a constant supply of Drs. Foster and Smith 100% freeze dried Tuna Flakes and 100% freeze dried Salmon Fishies in the house, and I've been ordering from the company since I was a teen (dog, cat, fish, and small animal supplies). I've never had a problem with returns or refunds...I suggest giving customer service a call and let them know whats going on. :) Have you checked the expiration date?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the expiration date is 4/12 so it should be good. I e-mailed customer service and they informed me that I can get either a refund or a replacement. I just couldn't believe that the product looked and smelled so different the second time around. Especially since my cat would go bonkers every time I opened up the container. This time around she wouldn't even put her nose near it so I knew something was very wrong. Oh well, for now she will have to settle on eating Pure Bites until I get the replacement chicken liver treats.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Yeah, I think it's best to trust yer cat's nose when it comes to their own food. I'm glad customer service is going to help you get this taken care of. :)

Rochelle's favorite is the 100% freeze dried Tuna Flakes. She hates big chunks of anything food, so the thin paper-like tuna flakes are perfect for her. Sometimes I use them as a food topper for her, if she's being incredibly difficult for a meal.

Samantha and Alice prefer the 100% freeze dried Salmon Fishies. It's the only treat that Alice will stand on her hind legs for and 'dance' for me...it's also the only treat that she gets so possessive over she growls at the other girls if they get too close. XD

I haven't tried any of their other treats for cats, but next time I make an order, I'd like to try the 100% freeze dried Shrimp Snappies and one of the Liver ones (preferably not chicken, since thats all they get around here for raw).

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah my Oreo used to dance for the chicken liver treats but not with this batch. Customer Service said they haven't changed their formula so I pray that the replacement container is like the very first one I got. Oreo loooooooves those chicken liver treats the first time I gave them to her. She would jump on the counter and stand on her two hind paws and wait for me to open the closet to give her a piece or two. She still does this but I don't have them to give her and I feel bad. I give her the freeze dried chicken from pure bites instead but I know she rather have the chicken liver treat instead.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
UPDATE: Drs. Foster and Smith sent me a replacement container of their Liver Bites - Chicken Liver Treats and they are the ones that Oreo loooooovves. For some reason the last shipment looked and smelled entirely different for unknown reasons. But since getting the new container, Oreo is so happy, always beggin' for them and now my Little Pumpkin likes them too! Gonna have to stock up now.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Assuming those liver treats are made with real liver, it is important not to overdo them. Liver is very high in vitamin A, and it is possible to overdose vit A and cause toxicity. I feed a very small amount of liver to my cats every day as part of their raw diet, but it is carefully portioned to avoid vit. A toxicity. Just a heads-up.

Laurie

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I checked the directions on the container and it said to feed 1 (1/2 inch diameter) piece per 5 pounds of body weight daily.

On Dr. Smith and Foster's website the feeding directions state, "Treat your cat to 2-5 chunks per day depending on the size of your pet. Try adding small liver chunks to your cat's food to make dinnertime special. No refrigeration necessary. Store in a cool, dry location."

My cats are both a little over 10 pounds each and I feed them 5 pieces a day. I hope this is okay.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
If you're feeding 10 lb cats 5 pieces each per day, you're feeding 2 1/2 times the recommended amount according to the information you provided above. As I warned before, feeding too much liver may cause vit. A toxicity. Why would you risk that? Feed them each 2 pieces a day and leave it at that.

Laurie

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
You are right, I had misunderstood those directions. They are only getting 2 pieces a day from now on. They won't like it but it's for their own good. Thanks for pointing that out!!!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Without starting another thread can anyone tell me how much Weruva canned chicken liver to feed each week since liver has high amounts of vitamin A. The can contains a few chunks of chicken liver but has more sliced white meat chicken so I hope it is safe for my cats to eat. Just not sure how often.

Here are the ingredients:

Chicken (Boneless, Skinless, White Breast), Water Sufficient For Processing, Chicken Liver, Potato Starch, Sunflower Seed Oil, Xanthan Gum, Dicalcium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Nicotinic Acid (Vitamin B3), Ferrous Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Feeding instructions say to feed 1 oz per each pound of body weight.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Canned cat foods are nutritionally balanced (presumably), so I wouldn't hesitate to feed a canned food with liver in it every day as long as you're not feeding more of it than your cat needs to maintain a healthy, lean weight. HOWEVER, I would NOT feed a food with liver in it AND liver treats, so feed one OR the other ... NOT both.

Laurie

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, that's what I figured. Thanks for the info. I will not feed them the liver treats when feeding them the chicken liver canned food. I will give them freeze dried chicken instead.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I got the beef liver treats and my cats thought they were nasty. I lost my receipt so I gave the very expensive treats to the humane society with a few hidden gems that Nutmeg may have stuck her head in the container and licked and then walked away.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.