Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay ,,,i bought 3 lbs of ground chicken meat from a buther, he siad it was the whole chicken, plus bones..i am thinking it was dark meant...forgot to ask....okay...this is the receipe i used.

3lb chicken , ground with bone
2 eggs, used the yolk raw, and lightly cooked the whites
5000 mg salmon oil
400 iu of vitamin e
50 mg vitamin b
3/4 tsp of iodine salt
4 oz liver

what do you think, is it good????
i am wondering about the bone, if its sufficient....

·
Registered
201 Posts
There's probably more bone in there than what your cat needs and not enough organ meat. You'll be able to tell by the frequency and ease of stools if it's too much bone. Any constipation or going longer than 4-5 days without leaving a deposit may mean there's too much bone.

If your butcher has hearts, add about 7-10 oz of that and up the vitamin B to 100 mg. If the heart is being ground rather than cut by you, also add about 1000 mg of taurine. Some recipes also add psyllium husk powder (~2-3 tsp) to help with constipation, or you can substituent a tablespoon of canned pumpkin if that's an issue.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
dr pierson at catinfo.org, suggested that i not feed the catfood..i emailed dr pierson and told hime it was chicken backs, and he did not like it....he said to stop feeding it...so i might just buy some meat, grind it, and add some bone meal until i get a grinder...penquin dreams...sorry , i did not mention in the receipe, that i did add the taurine, 2000mg....the butcher i bought the ground pet food, said that he had been feediing it to his cat for 1 yr, and did not add anythings eles, no vitamins, nothing...poor cat.

·
Registered
201 Posts
dr pierson at catinfo.org, suggested that i not feed the catfood..i emailed dr pierson and told hime it was chicken backs, and he did not like it....he said to stop feeding it...so i might just buy some meat, grind it, and add some bone meal until i get a grinder...penquin dreams...sorry , i did not mention in the receipe, that i did add the taurine, 2000mg....the butcher i bought the ground pet food, said that he had been feediing it to his cat for 1 yr, and did not add anythings eles, no vitamins, nothing...poor cat.
I'm sorry, I'm a little confused and if you made an introduction topic about the age and current diet and eating habits of your cat I missed it. What were Dr. Pierson's objections? Was it the part of the chicken, because your first post gave the impression it was the whole chicken which would contain both white and dark meat, but then you said backs and is that even something you can buy? (I've only just started buying meat so I'm unfamiliar with a lot of the cuts and terminology and such.) But if it is, I'd imagine it would be dark meat, since the breast is dark, and would have a very high rib bone to muscle meat ratio. Or was it the recipe you described?

I'll be the first to admit that I'm horrible with math, but the proportions look like it would be about right to me based on the recipes I've seen starting with a 4.5 lb portion of muscle meat and working everything else out from there, and given that a lot of vitamins only come in certain sizes of capsules.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts