Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, there's alot out here about food!
I've been doing some checking and found that "Chicken Soup" is one of the better ones that's in my price range. However, Pro Plan didn't have any by-products added, either, but was actually more expensive. Which one would you guys favor?
Also, the store here in town does not carry the kitten version of "Chicken Soup" How important is it to feed specific kitten food?
Thanks!
Britta

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I'm not sure where you are getting your info, since chicken by-product meal is the major source of protein in ProPlan Kitten (dry food). The adult products are worse, not only do they contain by-products but they substitute the even-cheaper "corn gluten meal" for real meat! The canned foods are no better and feature the "we don't even say what it is" meat by-products as a major ingredient.

Chicken Soup dry food is okay; the ingredient list looks good, but the manufacturer, Diamond, is not known for producing quality foods. Most cats won't eat the canned version (it looks and feels like rubber!). One of my cats recently became very ill from the dry food. I don't recommend dry food at all for cats, but it was necessary for my sitter to leave dry food available while I was out of town for a couple of weeks.

If you must feed dry food, read the ingredient list carefully! Here's an article that will tell you how to read the label and how to pick a good food:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=004.

And here's one that explains why an dry food is bad for cats:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... cannedfood

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Chicken Soup dry food is okay; the ingredient list looks good, but the manufacturer, Diamond, is not known for producing quality foods. Most cats won't eat the canned version (it looks and feels like rubber!). One of my cats recently became very ill from the dry food. I don't recommend dry food at all for cats, but it was necessary for my sitter to leave dry food available while I was out of town for a couple of weeks.
Oh, nooooooooooo. Just when I thought I had FINALLY found a great food at a great price...........*collapses dramatically onto couch*

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Ya know, I noticed that too. I thought the ingredients looked good, but remembered Diamond from way back (buying some dog food) NOT being a great company.

However, there are some lines of food from companies that are FAR superior to the other lines they carry.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I guess it's just going to be Wellness for Halifax then - no chicken soup mixed in. I kinda thought I would just do that anyway - so I didn't mess up the vitamines and stuff.

Is Wellness good in your book Dr. Jean? *starts praying*

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
your killing me.. i though chicken soup was good.. i was so happy to finally have a food that i liked and was good..

Now what do i do..

I didn't like the wellness.. and neither did the cats...

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
*tries to raise herself off the couch, thinks again of all the food labels she has been reading, and collapses again*

OK.....I can take it.....what, exactly, is the problem with Chicken Soup? I was POSITIVE I had a winner.....POSITIVE! Tons of people here feed it, it is always mentioned in lists of the best-quality foods, it is well priced, and I have never heard anything bad about it......until now. :? And what is Diamond.......I thought Chicken Soup was made by Old Mother Hubbard???(I could very well be confused....I have read leterally hundreds of food labels in the last month or so). Oh, Lord......I am going to have to do MORE RESEARCH?????? And find ANOTHER food my cats will eat, is high-quality, and I can afford??? I am going to FREAK OUT in a minute!!! :roll:

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
No, chicken soup is not made by old mother hubbard.
Ya know, I'm not sure if you've ever looked at the ingredients on a *can* of regular old mother hubbard cat food, but the first ingredeints are meat by-products, etc. - so I would assume that a lot of these companies now are coming out with the there more *natural* and healthy versions of food because thats what people are looking for these days.

Ianthe, just like you noticed a significant difference between flavors in some foods, I think it's the same way with different brands made by the same company. Dr. Jean may have a better reason why Chicken soup isn't top on her list, but as far as the company, I'm inclinded to say that if the ingredients are good, than the food is probably good too. Though you should probably look into animal testing, etc. if you prefer not to buy frood from those companies.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Ianthe said:
I thought Chicken Soup was made by Old Mother Hubbard
Wellness is made by Old Mother Hubard and contains no meat by-products. The canned food labeled "Old Mother Hubard" (made by the same company as Wellness) does contain by-products. Chicken Soup is made by Diamond.

Ianthe, it's all going to be OK, I promise. :) Chicken Soup has good ingredients and it's far better than what you'll find at your local grocery store. I've been following all the effort you went to to find a good quality food for your cats and I think you should feel comfortable with this choice.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Wellness is fine. But of course, you know I don't recommend any dry food, some are just worse than others.

My problem with Chicken Soup is mostly because I know the company, Diamond. Diamond's niche is making cheap knock-offs of better brands. The did it with Science Diet, and now they are imitating the "natural" brands. The ingredient list "reads" fine, it all sounds good--but I guarantee they are buying the very cheapest grade of each of those wonderful ingredients. How else could they sell it for less? Believe me, pet food companies don't get rich by buying expensive ingredients and selling for a low price!

My cat evidently quit eating the food while I was gone, and consequently she developed hepatic lipidosis. Fortunately I caught it very early, and it was easily resolved. However, in my experience, it's been mostly cats on poorer quality foods that are more prone to this disease.

Really, it's just a feeling, based on the company's history and my one cat's bad experience. If your cats are doing well on it, it's probably okay. I do recommend (if you must feed dry food) that you switch dry food brands every few months anyway, to prevent just this sort of thing from happening.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Ok.....I am still trying to wrap my mind around this news.

Just for my peace of mind.....will anyone who has their cats on Chicken Soup and finds it to be a good food that their cats do well on please post your review here? (As well as any negative)

Or else it may be back to the drawing board.......arrrrgghhhh.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Oh man. I too thought I had finally found a winner with the chicken soup. I have even purchased some for my parents to feed their two cats and dog. I primarily feed my guys turkey and /or chicken breast that we buy at the grocery store deli counter......3 times a day. Always have. I let them free range on the chicken soup dry during the day and overnight. As an occasional snack I will give them the freeze-dried chicken livers. They don't eat much of the chicken soup as it takes a long time for them to finish a 2 lb bag. They grew up with Purina One during their first year of life, due completely to my ignorance, and yeah I feel horrible about that. I then found this site!!, and learned about what goes into cat food. 8O 8O They just turned 2 yrs old like 2 weeks ago, and they are both happy and healthy, so far......... * crossing fingers * and I hope they live to be 20+. Their fur is shiny and velvety soft. They don't even have bad breath.

I haven't heard anything bad about the chicken soup until just reading this post. I have been driving 40 minutes one way to purchase this stuff too :twisted: :roll: . Maybe I will just start weening them off of the dry. That will be hard because one of them has a food issue.....he was the runt of his litter.

There is my experience and my $0.02.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Okay, here's the deal...IF YOU ARE going to feed a dry food, Chicken Soup isn't bad. It is better than pro-plan, that's for sure. Since the manufacturer doesn't have a great reputation, one might wonder about the quality of each ingredient (as noted by Dr. Jean above). However, if you are basing things by the contents of the ingredients list, Chicken Soup is far better than a lot of other dry foods out there.

I guess we could really wonder about the quality of each specific ingredient for all the foods really, but this isn't going to get us far. I have always thought of a Diamond as a mediocre company at best. I think they also make Bill-Jac dog foods (i could be wrong, that's off the top of my head) and others similar to that and I have never been a Diamond fan as far back as I can remember. BUT, after looking at the ingredients and finding Chicken Soup very decently priced AND having it accessible to me, I will buy it again. I'd prefer to give my cats Wellness, Innova and California Natural all the time, but I'm not sure I can always afford to do that.

Felidae is another one that is in the price range of Chicken Soup and is pretty good to. Maybe you should take a look into Felidae?? If the choice is between Chicken Soup and pro-plan FOR SURE go with the Chicken Soup. But, I do hear more often than not, that a wet diet is better for your cat. I do a 50/50 mix at this time.

We have SO many threads on cat foods here at the forum and many of us have done everything we can to go through each of the foods and try to figure out which are better as well as the ins and outs of the pet food business and labeling requirements, but I'm starting to realize that there is no perfect solution if you are buying commercial pet foods.

Just don't beat yourself up for referring Chicken Soup to your parents cats ( i think you said your parents)...especially if they were eating something else that was comparable to Pro-Plan. If that was the case, I'd say you've done alright!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Exactly, AddFran.

I do want to emphasize that there is NO reason on earth why a cat needs to have food available 24/7. A cat who hunts for a living would eat a mouse no more than once a day.

Leaving food out all the time is a bad idea for several reasons:
1. the smell of the food causes the pancreas to secrete bicarbonate, which causes the blood (and therefore the urine) to become more alkaline, which can predispose cats to urinary tract crystals, inflammations, stones and blockages
2. the GI tract never has time to rest, as it should with a carnivore who hunts, eats, then rests until he is hungry again; this may be a factor in the development of food allergies, inflammatory bowel disease, constipation, and other tummy problems.
3. since housecats are not hunting for a living (and, let's say "partying" on the side like they would if they were un-neutered! :oops: ), many of them eat from boredom instead of from hunger; or in a multiple cat household, from competition. That plus lack of activity = overweight = big-time health problems
4. dry food itself is a poor choice because the high carbohydrate content displaces the protein and fat the cat needs, causing them to overeat to get the same nutrition, again = overweight . . .

I'm sure I could think of a lot more, but that'll get us started!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
428 Posts
Not sure Chicken Soup is better

Someone said that Chicken Soup was 'definitely" better than Pro Plan. I wouldn't put money on that. Diamond pet food is known for making food with poor quality ingredients.

When Chicken Soup first came out my cats went nuts over it, but as time went on I noticed they didn't like it at all. They won't even eat it if it's the only food they have. I never force my cats to eat something they don't like. I have had my cats on premium foods for a few years now. I switch up between Nutro, Pro Plan, Innova and Felidae. They love all of these foods. When I tried to get them back on the Chicken Soup food they refused to eat it. The Chicken Soup label of ingredients reads nice, but I'm nost so sure the quality is there. Who knows their source for their ingredients. I know sometimes food is overpriced, but for Diamond to list those ingredients and only charge $19.99 a bag for 16.5 lbs. when the other foods I mentioned are very much higher, seems a bit fishy to me. I will no longer buy the Chicken Soup food. Also, I recommended it to a friend of mine and her cats refused to eat it. I was so embarrassed. Now I'm convinced they started out with one recipe and switched after they had customers convinced it was a "quality" food.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Hmmmmmmm. I am a bit disheartened. Does ANYONE have good results with Chicken Soup??? In my other post, the poll on what everyone is feeding, Chicken Soup was the majority.....why????

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Re: Not sure Chicken Soup is better

lotocats said:
Someone said that Chicken Soup was 'definitely" better than Pro Plan. I wouldn't put money on that. Diamond pet food is known for making food with poor quality ingredients.

Yes, but Pro Plan is made by purina and they do NOT make good quality pet foods. Also, one of the first ingredients in Pro Plan is Corn Gluten Meal. It's a bag of by-products, grains and Corn residue.

First frew ingredeients Ingredients:Beef, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal, whole grain corn,

I asure you Chicken Soup is better than Pro Plan. It may not be the best, but it is better than Pro Plan.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
My cats apparently gradually quit eating it, until none of them would touch it. I gave the leftovers to my neighbor; her cats ate it for a few days, then quit. Hmm. Do I detect a pattern?

The first time I tried it I got the small "sample" bag, which is packaged differently and may have been fresher. The larger bag could have become spoiled or rancid, even though I put it in an airtight container. And Lotocats has a good point; they may have changed the formula--or because Diamond does not use a fixed formula, one batch of ingredients may be better, or at least different, from the next.

I was always a little suspicious because of the manufacturer's reputation for poor imitations, but so many cats seemed to like it, and seemed to do well on it...now I think we're seeing its "true colors".

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
My cats have done that with lots of foods. Even canned foods.
Eaten things for a few days and then stopped.
I'm not doubting that the ingredients may not be of the highest quality OR that the formula may have changed. And you make a good point about the packaging..because I did notice that the smaller trial size bags are in a more plastic like packaging.

However, the ingredients in pro-plan are pretty poor even if they ARE the best quality available...which being from purina, I highly doubt.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Chicken soup

Wow! Here I also thought that Chicken Soup was a good food. I have been feeding it for several months and it seems to be great! My cat seems to like it .. small firm poops etc. :roll: Go figure... The ingredients are great. and the cost is very reasonable. .. Im going to stay with it...
I say take everything you read with a grain of salt.. and make your own opinion. Best wishes and good luck with your kitty... me Im staying with the Chicken soup.... the only change I may do is go to the light formula if she starts to gain weight.
take care
Nwlily :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts