Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently having cat food problems. My kittens are on a FAST growth spurt and are eating everything, lol So I am hoping to find a lower-priced, still good qaulity food. I use Wellness now, but I'm considering Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers soul. What's your thoughts on this particular brand?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Great food if you can get it. I'd highly recommend it for your average kitten. They even have a new kitten formula out now, instead of just the adult :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I ordered a 2 pound bag from my local feed store today to try for my cats. They had the dog food samples in stock so I bought a bag for my dogs and they LOVED it! I hope my cats receive it that well.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I recently switched Angel over to Chicken Soup and she loves it.

And I wasn't the least bit upset about it, since it is a much higher quality food than I was feeding her and it is also considerably cheaper! I was like Octoberdana, my local feed store had 2 lb. bags for dogs, but none for kitties. I needed to get food, so I took the chance on a large bag. See if somebody in your area has the 2 lb. bags and then you aren't taking the big gamble with it.

I free feed dry food and Dr. Jean has convinced me to increase her daily wet food feeding, as well. Yet Angel is still eating more dry now than ever before. Maybe my 4 lb. featherweight will need to go on a diet? :wink: Tubby she isn't!

Peace,
Mike

·
Registered
305 Posts
Coco and Wittles both love it! It is considerably cheaper than what I had expected..............like $1.99 for a 2lb "trial size" bag. I found it first at a local (30 min away) feed store. Since then I have found a closer source.

Definitely recommend.

My $0.02.

Bryon

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah when using wet food, be sure to brush their teeth ;) I alerady have a store(actually 2) that has it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The pet store that carried Chicken Soup has discontinued it. The feed store is also discontinuing the cat food but will still carry the dog food. They can order in the cat food though.

·
Registered
676 Posts
As it's dental month for Banfield, I will also echo in here. :D

Regaurdless of their diet, it's good to brush their teeth daily, just like we do for ourselves, and getting dental work up is a good idea too for your cat or dog.

Dry food "cleans" the teeth about as much as us biting into a pretzle would for us. There is still debates. Though in my own and several other peoples experiences, a diet of all or mostly wet food brings on more dental problems, specially with out doing routine dental work at home and during doctors treatments.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Numerous studies have shown that at best, dry food produces slightly less tartar than canned food. In my experience, genetics has a lot to do with how much tartar a cat will form. I've seen cats eating the same food have little tartar to horrendous amounts, whether dry or canned. I would guess that I have seen more than 12,000 kitty mouths in my years in practice, and that's my observation.

One experiment showed that even tube-fed cats, who never had any food in their mouth at all, still produced tartar.

The only food that actually reduces tartar is Hill's t/d, and it's main method of action is its size, because the tooth has to pass completely through it.

If dry food really cleaned the teeth, then I would floss with Triscuits.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Personally, I'm agree totally to feeding both canned and dry. I did that all my life. I also used variety. I never ONCE had a stomach problem due to different foods. However, my dogs were on a wet-food only diet. they have nothing but teeth problems; however, they didn't have chew bones or anything.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I also like the variety canned food often. I'm very impressed with the ingrediants in Chicken Soup, and would probably feed it if it where more available where I live, but the closest place is 45 minutes away, and that's to far for me to drive for a bag of cat food. Since I know my cats, and they won't over eat, I leave dry food out all the time, and mix some canned in with the dry in the morning for all the cats on my property(we care for about 20 feral cats on top of the 3 house cats we have). I agree that brushing a cat's teeth shouldn't matter weither or not they're fed dry or canned.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
What is better, Wellness or Chicken Soup? I also know that there are many varieties of Wellness dry -- which one is best out of those?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well, when I did a grading test on the dog food brands of Chicken Soup versus Wellness Chicken Soup got more points.

Mostly, because it has 4 meat protein sources, and the Wellness dog food only had 2.

They are both very good quality foods from what I understand. Chicken Soup is less expensive.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Taste is not a reliable of food quality. If I based my diet on taste, it would be mostly Fritos and ice cream! :oops:

I recommend picking two or three brands that your cat likes and does well on (i.e., good appetite, good energy, stable weight, glossy coat, normal stool), and rotate among them every 3-4 months. Also, supplement with plenty of wet food.

For complete info on how to pick a good food, see "Selecting a Good Commercial Pet Food" at http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=library. By knowing what goes into pet food, you can evaluate any new food that comes along. Knowledge is power! :)

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
34 Posts
After this bag of Euk, that's what I plan on switching my cats to. It's just become available here again, so with all the good things I've heard about it, I'm looking forward to trying it with them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts