Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You be the judge.

Tonight I tried raw chicken wings on my Fab Four for the first time. The three guys went absolutely wild, though it doesn't look like they actually were able to swallow anything, even after I cut the three wing pieces into even smaller pieces. Hersh, as predicted, was up on the counter helpfully trying to wrest the whole chicken wing from me before I could cut it into three pieces. But lots of good chewing, especially from Hersh.

When I first put the small wing pieces down, an hour after their wet dinner, one per food dish, the guys grabbed and scattered out of the kitchen at first with their "booty", so excited were they, only to come back and try to eat the others', which they hoped would be easier to swallow than what they had grabbed. Snowby, who had a particularly delicate stomach her first few months with me that I finally got under control, went at her wing with gusto, feral background showing once again, and then proceeded to spit up her entire dinner--in several places. Whoops! She then watched the guys from her perch on the kitchen table. The guys went back and forth, and after I cut their segments into even smaller segments, they took turns trying them all, finally learning to leave them in place near--but not in--their food dishes. To no avail. I don't think any of them succeeded in swallowing anything, so it will be awhile before they will be in any danger of overcalcification.
I waited a half hour, then picked up all the pieces--by then they had moved on to other pursuits, like licking the Jenn-Air grill after I made turkey burgers. I gave Snowby a small, wet meal by herself, which should hold her over until morning.

So, I suppose that went as well as could be expected. After all, they have little jaw strength after two years of soft food, but the guys, and even Snowby for a few minutes, got jaw exercise gnawing on the skin. I don't know that I will keep subjecting Snowby to this, at least for now, since she really does have a sensitive stomach and has reacted badly each time I have given her even a small portion of raw food in the past. And she trusts me, in terms of what I put down for her agreeing with her, after being very reluctant, not picky, the first few months. But all in all, leaving aside the early chaos and having to clean up all over for Snowby, I think it was a positive experience. To be repeated again over the weekend.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I would try the chicken BEFORE the wet food. Make them more willing to work at it. Just my two cents. Sounds very successful for a first time with raw. :)

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I would also try gizzards cut into 1/2" pieces as treats 2-3 times a week. It makes them chew chew chew and they do get to swallow it after working it so it helps them strengthen their jaws. Once they are able to eat the gizzards whole, then go back to the wings and they should be able to at least eat the tips.

It will go faster than you think...don't fret!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, great suggestions, both of them! But the guys are already very willing to work at it. Still, I like the idea of chicken wing appetizers. Might even help poor Snowby, though it doesn't take much to set her off.

And small slice gizzards it is.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
When I started with wings I cut open the skin so that they could at least get some meat to keep the confidence up, I didn't want him to give up on it. I also smashed the wings at first so he still got bone, eventually it wasn't needed anymore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts