Cat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. It's been several weeks since I've posted. I've been insanely busy with work, and dealing with a sick kitty on top of that. But I have good news...

Magneto finally seems to be on the mend. His liver values have returned to normal. His chin acne, which was so horrendously severe for so many weeks, finally seems to be on the road to improvement.

I discovered the cause of his chin acne. Pay attention everyone!

It was the petmate drinking fountain that was the cause of it. For a while I considered it, but I didn't want it to be true because all the cats love it so much. But after eliminating ALL plastic food serving dishes in the house, with no improvement, I had to start thinking of different possibilities. Then when Binx came down with bad chin acne (which no one noticed for a while because of his dark coloration) I knew that there had to be a common denominator.

I removed the fountain last week, and since then there has been drastic improvement. Despite how much I cleaned it, it seems that the plastic fountain still harbored bacteria and was preventing Magneto's chin was healing. Watching him drink, I can see now how he rests his chin on the edge of whatever dish he's using.

So let this serve as an example to people buying these fountains! Just be careful... most cats have no issue, but some of them can!

In other news... Magneto has also finally gained weight. He's gained over a pound in the past month and is almost back to his normal weight of 10 lbs!

·
Super Moderator
26,806 Posts
Good news all around, Rachel!! :grin:

·
Banned
154 Posts
I had a problem with my Princess (RIP baby girl) developing chin acne and it was from the ceramic bowls - my vet said ceramic and plastic are usually the culprits with chin acne. I switched to all glass and she was fine. Mimi has glass bowls to eat from and stainless steel for her water - no problems there. Have you tried the stainless steel drinking fountains? Just a thought if your cats love to drink from the fountain.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Wow. That is great news and thanks for sharing the cause.

I had a problem with my Princess (RIP baby girl) developing chin acne and it was from the ceramic bowls - my vet said ceramic and plastic are usually the culprits with chin acne. I switched to all glass and she was fine. Mimi has glass bowls to eat from and stainless steel for her water - no problems there. Have you tried the stainless steel drinking fountains? Just a thought if your cats love to drink from the fountain.
I thought ceramic bowls were okay? I thought it was just plastic that had issues with lingering bacteria......

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
My cat Oreo also had a bad case of chin acne. But since eliminating the dry food and giving her only canned, she rarely drinks from the fountain anymore and no more acne! Didn't know about that ceramic can also cause acne. You learn something new every day!

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have researched the stainless steal and ceramic fountains and found reports of reactions just because they still run with some plastic parts. I think my fountain days are over. I am using a stainless steel bowl and I diverted some air from the nearby aquarium pump with a bit of tubing so it makes nice little bubbles in the bowl. I feed lots of canned food in my cat's diets but luckily they all seem to love fresh water no matter where it comes from. I was filling that fountain at least once or twice a day anyways so switching to the new system won't be a problem :)

·
Banned
154 Posts
The vet that mentioned the ceramic bowls as a cause indicated that it wasn't from bacteria but can be caused from cheaper ceramic bowls leaking dye from the paint causing a reaction. The plastic issues are from bacteria I am told.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've read about that one too, but all have plastic parts somewhere when it comes down to it... at the very least the motor. I think I'm just gonna stay away for now.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Rachel, nice to see your post, I had been wondering if everything was OK with you. Good to hear that Nito is getting back to normal also.
I have a ceramic fountain for my bunch. Haven't noticed a problem yet, but will be keeping a closer watch on their chins!

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Sue! I'll admit I felt like I'd lost it for a while when Magneto was really sick. I think I'm still adjusting to the whole being graduated and having a real career and being so much more independent than ever, and sometimes it's not easy. I am just so fortunate that Magneto is recovering... I think I was being a pessimist but for a while I was toying with the horrible fear that I might lose him to his illness. And even when things were getting better, he still hated me for being the medicine lady which really made me feel depressed... to see him cower in fear whenever I'd approach him. :-( But now the meds are done, and we are back to being as close as ever. And I'm breathing a huge sigh of relief!

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
And even when things were getting better, he still hated me for being the medicine lady which really made me feel depressed... to see him cower in fear whenever I'd approach him. :-(
I can so relate to that! Charlie has chronic problems with his eyes due to feline herpes and he also gets a pill every morning that helps with his IBD. He just KNOWS when I am going to come and get him to give him his eye drops and pills. You never saw a kitty run up stairs and hide as fast as he can! good thing he is a very forgiving kitty!

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'm so happy Nito is doing better! I was also wondering where were you.

Hugs for you all, and thank you for sharing, I wanted that "cat it" water fountain so badly but now I won't buy it.

Un abrazo

PS: "The Medicine Lady" baaahahahahahhaa! That was hilarious. But I've been there, sister, and I agree it just makes you wanna cry.
I'm glad that nasty woman is gone and Nito loves you again :thumb

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
What a great update! So glad Magneto is better. I was going to buy one of those water fountains, but now I won't and will stick with a stainless steel bowl my all my cats have been using for years. I hadn't heard that about ceramic as well....my cats each have a plate of an old set of 'fine bone china' that was my first set and it eventually got chipped and broken, and discarded except for these 2 plates which are still good.

·
Registered
683 Posts
What do you think about using an aquarium internal (underwater) filter in a big stainless steel bowl? Would that work?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts