Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I clean my cats' teeth 2 times a week with cotton buds. Today, I realise 2 of them have chipped the pointed tips of both of their canines.

What could be the cause? Could it be rough play? Or could they have chipped their teeth when their teeth knocked against the bottom of their stainless steel bowls?

Also, now what should I do? Do I need to bring them to the vet to fill the chips?

Thanks for the help!

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Oh gosh, both cats? Cleo, my three year old, chipped one of her canines about a month ago. You need to take the cats to the vet *right* away. It's not an emergency situation, but the less time you wait, the better. The vet will assess whether or not the pulp is exposed. If the pulp is exposed, the tooth must be removed (or you can get a root canal, but it is very expensive and often fails at a later date). Bacteria can infect the pulp and then the infection can spread to other parts of the body, that is why vet attention is crucial.

As for why their teeth are chipped, I'm not sure. To you ever play 'tuog-of-war' with the kitties? Apparently, pulling hard on the other end of a toy when the kitty has it between its teeth can cause breakage. Chewing really hard objects, such as rocks could also do it. I never figured out what happened with Cleo. One day her teeth were fine and the next, one tooth was chipped.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts