Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Friday I strained my back and on Monday, I was still hurting. So...I went to a Chiropractor. I was nervous about the prospect of someone cracking my neck, but I bit the bullet. He gave me an adjustment, and almost immediately I felt better. All the people I know who go to Chiropractors swear by them. But I did some research. some people say getting your spine cracked can cause brain damage?! So good thing? Bad thing? It worked! But an adjustment is intense-your back really DOES crack!

·
Registered
335 Posts
I started going to a chiro when I was young with frequent headaches. Always helped. I worked for a chiro for a number of years and my whole family used him. I can't say enough good things about them. So much better to get a few manipulation than to go get tons of pills. You need to know your body and the person you're entrusting your body to just as you should a physical doctor. There are good and bad on either side. You will hear horror stories about both. I've had regular doctors really mess up, but I can't say that for my chiropractor

·
Premium Member
7,095 Posts
Agreed larsan. I have a compressed disk in my lower spine, arthritis in both hips, and arthritis in my neck that causes nerve impingement. I've been going to a chiropractor weekly since about 2002 and recommend chiro to anyone who mentions neck or back pain.

I'm not buying anything about spinal manipulation per se causing brain damage. Any procedure that's performed incorrectly can cause damage, whether by an MD or a chiropractor or whoever. I just had a hip replacement, and I'd heard horror stories about people coming out of the procedure with one leg significantly shorter than the other. :eek: Mine's fine (actually, they had to lengthen one leg!).

My father is an MD and he scoffed when I told him he should see a chiropractor for his chronic lower back pain (stenosis). He didn't feel chiropractors were "real" doctors, and I've heard this same bias from many MDs. Then it turned out one of his golfing buddies is a chiropractor, and he's a believer now - goes once a week. LOL.

I don't know how I could get by without mine. I see my chiropractor more often than I see my family or my friends! :D

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Good and bad in everything. Let's face it, there are a ton of bad MD's out there that destroy people's lives all the time because of their incompetency. Chiropractors go through a ton of schooling, too.
Very much depends on luck. My sis-in-law told me, we must go the best and well known doctor/surgeon. But then, there was this very well known, best heart surgeon here, had a patient that died in his hand during surgery and the family sued him. No matter how well known or experienced, there are still risks, accidents, mistakes.

Anyway, I went to a chiropractor many years ago and the chiropractor discovered a dislodged shoulder blade, fixed it and within just seconds, my pain gone and its was gone immediately. It was also through this chiropractor, I discovered I have slip disc on my lumbar and neck area. He had also corrected my so-called slanted body.

I stopped going since, eh...not cos he's no good, but more cos, problem settled, no need to spend that kinda money, lol. He is sooo expensive.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I stopped going since, eh...not cos he's no good, but more cos, problem settled, no need to spend that kinda money, lol. He is sooo expensive.
I, too, only go when I need to. Most chiropractors will put you on a short cycle of maintenance to make sure everything stays put, but then tell you to come back if you need to.

When I worked in a chiropractors office, myself and my whole family got free adjustments, x-rays, everything! That was a fantastic job perk!

·
Premium Member
7,095 Posts
Wow, larsan, I wish I worked for a chiropractor! I currently spend about $170 at the chiropractor every month. :eek:

I haven't been able to go for a month now and probably won't be able to for at least another month due to the surgery, and the neck and back are already really feeling it. I have to keep up with it every week because of the severe arthritis in my neck. Otherwise, I get numbness and tingling into my fingers.

bluemilk, how'd the follow-up go? Do you think you'll continue?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Wow, larsan, I wish I worked for a chiropractor! I currently spend about $170 at the chiropractor every month. :eek:

I haven't been able to go for a month now and probably won't be able to for at least another month due to the surgery, and the neck and back are already really feeling it. I have to keep up with it every week because of the severe arthritis in my neck. Otherwise, I get numbness and tingling into my fingers.

bluemilk, how'd the follow-up go? Do you think you'll continue?
Oh goodness, so sorry to hear about your problems to say nothing of the cost. Most insurance doesn't cover chiro, either :mad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts