Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I figured I would start a new thread as the other one was kinda asking if she was pregnant. Now that we have confirmed that I started this one.

Chloe has not had them yet. I have had her locked in the bathroom 24/7 for the last two days. I have not noticed anymore discharge and she is still producing milk. I swore last night while petting her belly I felt something move..LOL. Cute and creepy all in one. I think she has soft poop and sometimes a normal poop. Shes eating today although not as much as she normally does.

Ugh, I hope these kittens hurry up already I wanna cuddle them :)

So, when shes delivering should she be watched? When do I need to assist the kittens?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, tho she will only go in the box if shes locked in the bathroom. If the door is open she will jump the gate and go hide.

A couple of questions. Before labour does their water break like ours does? Will she scream and cry while having them? (not that I care but I would rather be prepared them wake up having a heart attack lol)

·
Banned
123 Posts
She's a pretty kitty. I hope everything goes alright, I too have been reading and following closely. I'm not sure on the noises, I've never heard of them like full out howl like they would if you were giving them their first bath. Lol.
But I'm sure she might make lil grunts maybe.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The only time I ever saw kittens being born was when I was a kid (like 10 years old or so), so I really can't remember. I don't remember the momma being noisy at all. I do remember one of the kittens started coming out backwards, and she needed help with the birth, so I'd definitely be there for it if you can. I'd also keep her confined to the bathroom, because we also had a momma cat at the time (our unspayed females had gotten out at the same time), who had kittens ALL OVER THE HOUSE. I remember getting home from school and finding them scattered around the house. It was her first/only litter, and she was not a natural... We got them both spayed after that.

·
Banned
470 Posts
This is the information age! :)

Bunch of videos on the net of kittens being born. Watched a few, and appears to be a messy, but quiet affair.

Kinda makes me glad I'm a dude.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The mama cat will know what to do naturally but if this is her first litter and if she's attached to you she most likely will want you there with her the whole time. When Khaleigh was in labor last month she needed me there the whole entire time, if I tried to leave the room she would follow me with her baby halfway out! I had to cut 2 of the kittens umbilical cords for her and assist her in cleaning them and then positioning them to find her nipple. After that, maternal instinct kicked in and her babies are now 5 weeks old! It differs for each cat on how vocal they are but both Khaleigh and Mama were pretty quiet except when it came to the final pushes they would let out a howl. As far as the messiness, you're going to need plenty of towels handy! The ones she will be laying on will be covered with blood and all that good stuff, so you're going to have to switch them and then give it a day or two and the towels will get pretty dirty again with poop and pee and other good stuff. For the most part it's an easy process that the mama should instinctively know what to do, but it also depends on how attached and needy she is to you. Good luck!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will mom still use her own litter box or will she pee/poop in the nesting box? I know she will clean the kittens herself in that region..She is due tonight as I calculated from the day I brought her home, she was out for 4-5 days, so will she go into labour tonight or is it different for each cat?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Yes, momcat will use her litter box and will not mess her kittening box. Most torties make excellent momcats.
It's best not to intervene during the process, just be there and observe. Best of all stay relaxed and calm, but do have a carrier ready to go in an emergency (take any kittens born with her).
If she doesn't chew off the umbilical cord, it's best to tear it with your fingernails in a sawing motion than to cut it as it may continue to bleed--leave 1" of cord; it will dry up and fall in within a week.
Breech presentations are not uncommon, and usually don't present a problem but may require a more contractions to expel them. Occasionally one might get stuck, wrap a cloth around portion of kitten and very gently try to wiggle it out----it you can't budge it, best to take her to a vet.
Most kittens are born within a 3-4 hr. period, but some can come fast one after another, and sometimes one can be born the next day.
Momcat usually settles to nurse them when she's finished.
Labor is different for each queen---some start urgent meowing just before delivery, some pant, some are silent during the pushing/contraction phase, others may grunt, some may even scream out in pain when kitten is born.

Just speak to her softly and encouraging; most don't like to be petted during contractions.
Good luck, hope everything goes tickety-boom.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
My posting time ran out to add some additional info.

I would use several sections of newspapers as liner in the box, rather than a blanket or towel. These are easily removed after all the mess of fluids is finished. Then put in fresh newspapers. Sometimes blankets get bunched up, and a kitten can get squashed by momcat lying on it and not realizing it's a kitten. I wouldn't put in a blanket until kittens are in their second week.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well hopefully nothing goes wrong because I dont have the money. I will be saving it up while the kittens grow to get them fixed.

I have a blanket in there now only because I do not get the paper in the mail as I dont pay for it lol. Once they are gross and dirty I will take them and wash them and put down a door mat thats clean a just purchased. So they have something soft but not something that can bunch up.

Shes due tonight, will she have them tonight? Or could she have then in a day or so?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I wouldn't use newspapers because the ink can bleed from all of the wetness that will be caused and you certainly don't want the kittens covered in ink, also the newspapers will stick to the box and create more of a mess. I would just stick to towels or sheets. I have always used two different sheets one on top of another and always folded the corners inside so that it's neatly folded and made, and then I put either one or two towels on top of that, I've never had problems with using towels or blankets, just make sure the blanket isn't just in there loosely but rather tucked in. It differs for each cat but more than likely she should have them at the 9 week point, the time is where it differs. Mama went into labor at midnight and this time at 8pm, it just differs so keep an eye on her. When she starts pacing a lot and acting nervous, laying down and moving, licking her "area", and crying then you know the time will come. The first kitten will always take the longest to come out, so just be patient with her. Yes, the mama cat will use her own litterbox, but the majority of her time will be spent in the box with her kittens. Don't wash the kittens yourself, the mama cat will take care of everything. You can't wash kittens at such a young age because they can't regulate their own body temperature at this time and can get hyperthermia which can lead to death. I hope all goes smoothly! Feel free to message me if you have any other questions/concerns!

·
Registered
751 Posts
When the farm cats were not fixed, and therefore having kittens, the queens much prefered straw over anything else to use for nesting. Blankets, towels, etc where never appreciated by them. But, when I think about it, straw is a very good choice to use as bedding. It holds heat very well, is absorbant, and tiny kitten claws can't get stuck in it. Plus, for the human, it is very cheap to get:p

Typically, at least with the barn cats, they don't make much noise when they are having their kittens. They don't want to alert any preditors of what is going on. The queens also will eat the afterbirth as a source of nourishment, as well as to not draw attention to the nest because it smells like blood otherwise. Most of the time, they will stay in with their newborn kittens 24/7 for the first couple of days and slowly increase the time they will be away.

Cats don't neccesarily have kittens on their duedate, it can be a few days before or after. The kittens will come when they are ready :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
@furryfriends251, the straw is a very good idea actually! Easy clean up, and just like you said holds heat and little kitten claws can't get stuck in it! There should be one placenta for each kitten that is born, it will either come right after each kitten or at the end. It's basically a bloody sac. The queen will eat it just like furryfriends251 said for nourishment. If she has a litter of 5 kittens you might not want to let her eat every single placenta just because too much will cause her to be sick and have diarrhea. Don't be alarmed when the queen doesn't want to touch the placenta either, some want to eat it and others don't. Mama ate it like it was candy, and Khaleigh tried her best but just couldn't handle it. Just like with humans every cat is different even in their birthing process.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I feed my dog his raw liver tm night for his dinner, I will not be able to help but to think about eating placenta....at least the cat will eat it, hopefully..

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
She still hasnt had them. Shes super super affectionate and tries to dart out of the bathroom when I open the door. Shes still eating etc. She would be 66 days along right now if she bred the last day she was out. Ugh, why cant they just come, I can feel them moving around. I dabbed a kleenix on her female bit and there was a tiny tinge of brown to it. Not loads came out.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts