Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all,

It's been a while since I posted any photos, but rest assured that I have been frequenting this forum all this while. A bit of history, adopted 2 strays so far, Casper and Callie, and things have been very well. Recently, got a call from a fellow cat welfare volunteer who has a cat that is in urgent need of a home. I arranged for a meeting to see the said cat that needs to be rehomed. The stray, a female, apparently got lost and ended up in someone's home and refused to leave. Unfortunately, the home owner was not a cat person, so, it needs to be rehomed ASAP. My job was to have a look at her and then proceed to find a suitable candidate to take her in. That was the plan..........until I saw her.

Sweet Chloe.

Chloe reaching out.....

Chloe Relaxing.

Chloe Asleep.

She was such a sweet cat with a very pleasant personality. She was also very much a lap cat who simply loves human company. I was a little hesitant to take her in, due to the fact that I already have 2 cats at home, but she melted my heart and in the end.........she went home with me (after seeing the vet first).

Chloe was isolated from the rest of the gang in her own room for a month before being introduced to rest of the cats and family members. Chloe did not get along that well with my other female cat, Callie, but it is not that bad. It was just occasional hissing and swipes at each other. All's fine and well, but I noticed that Chloe was getting rounder around her belly. I passed it off as she is gaining weight from the food that she's been getting from us. Then, on the 9th of May..............

Surprise!!!!!

FYI, the kittens were an hour old in this photo.

Being a good mummy.

Kittens napping with mummy Chloe.

2 days old kittens sleeping.

At 7 days old.

What kittens look like when they are 9 days old.

The kittens are now at 20 days old.

Eyes have opened.

One of the sweet face.

The other sweet face.

How can I not love that face........

"Melt your heart" look.

So, now, I have 3 cats and 2 kittens. A nice surprise from Chloe, who incidentally, was already pregnant when we adopted her. The question now is......Do I keep the kittens? Originally, I wanted to put them up for adoption when they are old enough, but as days go by, I am having trouble sticking to that plan. Looking at the rate things are going, I'm just going to keep them all.

Anyone has any other ideas...............

From,
Diveraz

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Re: Chloe's Surprise.

How could anyone NOT be a cat person after getting a look at Chloe?
What sweet little surprises, too. I love the picture with the one kitten on its back. Can you tell yet if the kittens are going to have Chloe's beautiful markings?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

katlover13 said:
How could anyone NOT be a cat person after getting a look at Chloe?
What sweet little surprises, too. I love the picture with the one kitten on its back. Can you tell yet if the kittens are going to have Chloe's beautiful markings?
The kittens and Chloe have been to the vet for their postnatal checkups. They are all fine and healthy, confirmed that one of the kitten is a male, while the other one is not very obvious yet.

The kittens have similar markings as their mummy, Chloe. Also, it was mentioned by the vet that, the fact they retained their mummy's markings, the unknown father would most likely be of the same breed/kind as Chloe. I'll post more photos of them in due course. Currently, their eyes have opened and they are a tad more active.

·
Registered
12,673 Posts

diveraz said:
...it was mentioned by the vet that, the fact they retained their mummy's markings, the unknown father would most likely be of the same breed/kind as Chloe.
Yup. In order to get "meezer-markings", the kitten needed to receive a pointed (Sia-meezer :wink: ) gene from each parent. So, every meezer cat has two 'meezer genes', but cats with only ONE meezer gene can still sire/birth meezer pointed kittens when mated with another cat who also carries the recessive gene. Recessive means that they must inherit a matching recessive gene from each parent in order for the gene to be visibly expressed. So, it is even possible for two solid colored or tabby cats, who each carry a recessive pointed gene, to breed and have Siamese-marked kittens in the litter when those kittens received the recessive gene from each parent.
I find cat genetics to be fun and very interesting.
heidi

·
Registered
3,736 Posts

Oh my, Cloe is simply stunning! I would have a very hard time letting her go too! Wowzers! :luv The kittens definately push me into cuteness overload!

·
Registered
6,955 Posts

You totally didn't know she was pregnant until the kittens appeared? What a shock that must have been! They're all just beautiful and I can see why your "plan" would be changing.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts

October said:
You totally didn't know she was pregnant until the kittens appeared? What a shock that must have been! They're all just beautiful and I can see why your "plan" would be changing.
I didn't know Midnight was pregnant, either. Yeah, she was a little round, but it didn't click.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've put up some new photos of the kittens, now with their eyes open. Anyone has any idea what breed/type of cat Chloe and kittens are? Not that it makes any difference, coz I still love them anyways.

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
You're *still* gonna send the kittens to me, right? They look adorable.

Chloe is a siamese mix (homozygous for the recessive pointed genes), dilute (which accounts for her pale coloring at her points), no agouti (no clearly defined tabby markings) and has random white spotting markings obscuring parts of her coat.
The kittens will of course be half whatever she is and half their sire. At least one of the kittens appears to have some darkening on an ear, so they may be Siamese mixes (with hmz recessive pointed genes) and/or they could also have random-to-maximum white spotting obscuring their base coat. I'd need for them to mature a little more before being able to tell for certain.
h

·
Registered
187 Posts
Awe! What gorgeous kittens and a beautiful mama too! I wouldn't be able to give them up myself! Good luck with them!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi to all,

Thanx for all the lovely comments and compliments.

The kittens are now nearly 8 weeks old. Unfortunately, one of the kittens, named Miu Miu, has been diagnosed to have a condition called Cerebellar Hypoplasia (CH). She is unable to coordinate her movements and have trouble keeping her balance. She just rolls around and flops all over the place.

Due to Miu Miu being a special needs kitten, it would be nearly impossible to have her adopted out, so I have decided that she would just stay with me and so will the rest of the family (Chloe and sibling, Michiko). I do not have much experience with kittens, let alone a special needs kitten, so anyone who has had any experience with CH kittens, do share it with me. I must say, it is very challenging taking care of Miu Miu, because, she has to be hand-fed, can't use the litterbox yet and needs to be monitored regularly.

Will keep updating on her progress.

From,
Diveraz

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think it's wonderful that you're keeping them.

Will little Miu Miu ever be able to eat and use the potty by herself? I've seen adult cats with CH who were able to move about quite well, but are there varying degrees of the condition?

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
You are a very special person indeed to keep Mui Mui and the rest of the family. How are tey getting along with your 2 other girls?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I've seen kittens like that before- if I had to guess, I'd say they are going to have some lovely color pointing, just like mummy! Wow, you are so lucky that your sweet baby blessed you with... two sweet babies!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hiya All,

It's been 3 months now, and the kittens have grown. It was very testing and challenging for me for the past few months taking care of them, especially Miu Miu. Fortunately, both of the kittens are quite settled now and Miu Miu is fairly independent (uses the litter box and eats on her own). Below are some photos of the kittens now..............

The kittens, Miu Miu (in front) and Michiko.

The CH kitten, Miu Miu.

Michiko.

Another shot of Michiko.

This is how Miu Miu eats and drinks. She lays flat on her belly.

Miu Miu interrupted during her meals. Not too happy there......

Thanks for all the encouraging words and advice. It was very helpful and helped me go through the difficult period without much problems. I must say, hand feeding a kitten several times a day is no joke.....it's serious work.

From,
Diveraz

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
It's great to see how they've grown! What beautiful kitties. It also sounds like you've really knocked yourself out for them, so congrats on doing that.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts