Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purina One and Nutro Max. They're the two best foods for our budget right now. Between the two, which would you choose if you had to pick?

I know they're not the absolute best, but they're the absolute best we can afford at this time. I do plan on giving them a higher quality wet food for their big meal, if that makes any difference.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
978 Posts
Purina One Beyond Chicken & Oat 6lb is $16.99 at Wag.com. That's $2.83 per lb.

You can get Earthborn Holistic Primitive Feline Grain Free dry for $2.21 per lb. You have to get the 14lb bag for $30.99 but it's still cheaper. You can also get Taste of the Wild Rocky Mountain Dry for $2.07 per lb. The 15lb bag is $30.99. They also sell a 5lb bag for $12.99. They're both completely grain-free and high protein with no by-products. The prices for these foods came from PetFlow.com. Both of these are better than Purina One [Beyond] and Nutro Max. Your cat probably won't want as much either because it is more nutrient packed.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We plan on purchasing the smaller bags. 6-10lb bag range. I did eyeball the Purina One Beyond, but for some reason it's significantly more expensive than the original Purina one.

Purina One was a 7lb bag for $11.99 and the Purina One Beyond was $21.99 for a 6lb bag.

·
Registered
978 Posts
We plan on purchasing the smaller bags. 6-10lb bag range. I did eyeball the Purina One Beyond, but for some reason it's significantly more expensive than the original Purina one.

Purina One was a 7lb bag for $11.99 and the Purina One Beyond was $21.99 for a 6lb bag.

That's probably because Purina One has by-products and corn whereas Beyond doesn't.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welp, if there was no baby, I'd be fine purchasing them whatever, regardless of price. Right now though, it's just not an option.

Baby still needs lots and we only have about 6 weeks left which is only 3 more paychecks... Yikes!

·
Registered
518 Posts
What about Petsmart's Authority brand? The 20lb bag is $19.99. It's not grain free but if I remember correctly it has chicken as the first ingredient.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's actually what my dog is on. She was on the lamb and rice, and nearing the end of the bag she got the runs. Started her on their grain free formula, she still has the runs.

We've got her on a bland diet right now until she gets herself settled. I'm praying she doesn't need to be on Hills I/D like my late Rottie/Dobie girl.

Anyway.. So off topic I get lol. The effects of the authority on Rose have made me skeptical to put the kitties on it. We're getting rid of whatever is left of the grain free that I just bought. Not wasting it isn't worth cleaning the trots off the carpet, wall, furniture, etc.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Yeah my dogs had soft poo on Authority too, and the pieces are big and one would choke sometimes...they actually used to do great on Purina One until the new formula with those chewy pieces.

The cats though, no probs on Authority. I'm not feeding it at the moment though.

·
Banned
603 Posts
My kitties eat Purina One Synsetive Systems. Mac is only 5 months but its all I can find that doesnt give him loose stools and afford it too.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm... Idk what it is about the Authority food that causes the trots... Our dog is fine with the size of the kibble, but who know. They actually make a mini-chunk now as well. I don't know what we're going to feed her now. My husband wants to put her on Pedigree... I disagree lol.

I guess since the two are pretty comparable, it comes down to kibble size. We need smaller kibble for our older girl. She's had her right canine and left molar removed. With her kibble I mix in some bottled water and microwave it for 15-20 seconds so it's softer for her but I still feel like smaller kibble would benefit her.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I feed my cat the Authority wet in with her other foods, as that's the only 'textured' food I can afford to buy, along with some of the Authority pate'. She loves it and has done great with it as a part of her diet (along with the about 4 other brands I feed 'sigh'). The rest of her foods I buy are pate'. I haven't tried their dry foods, however.

You can get Taste of the Wild 5lb bags for around 12.99. I think I would buy the next larger size up and save more per pound. You won't have to buy so often and you do save more per pound by buying a bit larger bag. I know 29.99 (15 lb bag) may sound like a lot but that's not that much difference comparing it to buying 2 bags of the Purina, which is what it compares to.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess you're right, but we're very budgeted so the $12.99 every two-four weeks is much easier for us to work with than taking a $30 hit. Every penny counts right now :/ stupid economy...

Back when I worked for a big wig law firm, it didn't matter what we bought. Agh I miss those paychecks so much. ****, I miss ANY paycheck so much, lol. But alas, no one wants to hire the pregnant chick.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I guess you're right, but we're very budgeted so the $12.99 every two-four weeks is much easier for us to work with than taking a $30 hit. Every penny counts right now :/ stupid economy...

Back when I worked for a big wig law firm, it didn't matter what we bought. Agh I miss those paychecks so much. ****, I miss ANY paycheck so much, lol. But alas, no one wants to hire the pregnant chick.

if it's any consolation, child care often costs more than a 2nd paycheck would bring home. A job that offers the flexibility to be a new mom often doesn't come with the lawyer-sized paycheck, and it ends up being a better financial decision to stay home anyway. I don't have kids, but I do have a close friend in that situation. She'd love to go back to work, but even with the tax breaks it would be more expensive to do so...this concept always boggles my mind.

All you can do is the best that you're able to with the knowledge that you have. There are plenty of people that have unlimited funds and feed garbage out of ignorance. Just by considering the possibilities, you're already doing more than many others are doing for their pets, and if your budget ever opens up a little bit, you know what's available...although something tells me the next 18 years or so might be tied up :p

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haha! Seriously.. And it's a girl so we're really in for empty pockets.

My husband said the same thing about child care. I do plan to go back to work, but only part time. We honestly can't afford for me to go back to work full time.

A family friend was taking to us about child care a few months ago. He has two boys. One 5, one 3. He said he was paying between $15,000-$20,000.00 a year in child care expenses... I about soiled my drawers.

It is nuts! how they charge such crazy rates for things. Between full time child care and the rising cost of healthcare, we would be broke before groceries at that rate.

I'd hate to see how much a nanny costs anymore...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts