Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has come up before and I tried searching through old posts with the search feature and haven't found it, but here it goes...

Ok, I am probably going to get a cat tonight or in the next few days and I was wondering what are good signs in a cat and some things to do to see if they are a good choice that is affectionate and such?

·
Premium Member
8,186 Posts
I agree with Padunk. No matter what cat/kitten you pick out, you'll become attached to it right away so you'll never regret your decision. The cat you pick will be the right one.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I third the motion. :lol:

There where about 5 cats in the pet store when I got Drizzle. Yes, I know, "pet store!? Why not a shelter?" - simple answer is, timing. Hehe. I wanted a cat NOW. :D

Anyway, there where 5 in the store. Drizzle, two of his siblings, and two other cats in another cage. All I knew was I wanted a boy (since we had Boo, a girl) and that I wanted him (if possible) gray. That last bit was not a requirement. So anywho, the guy just picks one out, hands him too me, the little guy digs his claws into my coat, holding on for dear life, meows at me in that heart-wrenching tone I've come to know and love and "aww" at, and it was love at first sight. I've never had a regret. Even when another kitty caught my eye, and was meowing at me, looking right at me, seeking my attention, I knew in my heart the little man in my hands was for me. It was the right choice. I LOVE HIM SO MUCH! :D :D :D

He's my little baby guy. The light of my life. I can't imagine it without him. So go with your heart, no matter what. It's the best bet.

:wink:

·
Registered
917 Posts
i looked at a few cats before i got cujo. the first was waaaaaaaaayyyy too timid, but he'd also just been neuterd and was only 8 weeks old or so. the second was waaaaaayyy too crazy hyper, the third bit me, but when i picked up cujo and held him for the first time and he rubbed his cheek on my chin, it was instant love.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
If you get a kitten many people come to this forum with concern that their new family member won't eat and hides all the time. This is normal, especially for a kitten. Once they get comfortable with their new surroundings, they will come around so don't be too concerned about that.

Also, have you considered getting 2 littermates? This assures that they will always have each other for company and play time. This is much easier than trying to get another cat later on.

I would be nice to adopt an adult cat from a shelter because they stand less of a chance of being adopted than the kittens, but an adult cat will tend to be more set in its ways. However, if it is friendly to you at the shelter that is a good sign.

Good luck to you and let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
181 Posts
YEAH! GET TWO KITTENS!

Duh, how'd I not say that first off. It's way better with two, and no where near as tough as you think. Cats are so much easier to care for than dogs, and getting two is critical if you even just work a normal 9 to 5 job. They get lonely alone. :(

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree with "you'll know which one when it happens"... however, if you see one you're interested in, I'd say don't let it being shy or hyper fool you. I think everyone can agree cats are like Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde. They'll sleep 50-70% of the day and won't wanna be bothered, then when they wanna play and crave attention they'll bug ya until they get it :twisted:

My search lasted a couple months going to local animal shelters, and even there I'd notice one day a cat would be playful while the next day the same might seem not. I was a little worried about my little devil girl the first time I took her into their interaction room, she was bouncing around everywhere not paying much attention to me. But after being cooped up in a 1x1 foot cage wouldn't you wanna stretch your legs too?

Anyway good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So far, me and my mom and sister have been going to a lot of animal shelters. I am really concerned about the price because I am only 14 and its harder to get money and I don't have as much as you all as adults obviously must. We have been searching and searching and I don't know if we have just been trying too hard to find the perfect one or what. I guess it may also be because once before, my sister had a cat and we had a bad experience and now I may be looking for the best one that i can.

Richo said:
If you get a kitten many people come to this forum with concern that their new family member won't eat and hides all the time. This is normal, especially for a kitten.
That is so nice to hear because at the shelters it seems like they all use some kind of standard cages and i don't know whether they have the same where you are. They sit on wheels which rise them some (maybe like 3/4 of a foot) and EVERY single cat that we have let out to observe its behavior goes underneath and hides and runs around under the cages! Its always trouble getting them back to their cages too! Anyway, we always let them out and see how they act and whether they will be trying to rub up against us and that they will be people friendly, but I guess that they won't do this right away as former strays.

For choosing the right cat i have seen on a website that it said to pick it up and if it is purring when you do, then take that one. Also, from someone we know, they said to try to touch their paw and if they don't let you, then don't get that one.

About pricing, we are also looking and liking the ones that have the cat altered and with vaccinations for a low price. I have seen a nice looking deal at this one shelter and others have similar prices.
Adoption fees: Cats $75 kittens $65
Our adoption fee includes:
spay/neuter, avid microchip, shots, rabies vaccination(3 months and older), a dose of intestinal worming medicine, and 2 months of shelter care health insurance! ( Approx. total value $150)
A lifetime of love, entertainment, and affection from your new cat or kitten is priceless!
Today, we left and drove a long way out to this small hick town full of old people but only got there when it closed! We had been searching online the night before for kittens and fell in love with the way this one kitten looked.
Tuffy, the kitten we were looking at.

BTW, what is the youngest age that would be best to adopt a kitten in everyone's opinion? Thanks and sorry if this is long :lol:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Good luck on your search for a kitty. I think it's great that you want to adopt one from a shelter. The youngest a kitten should leave it's mother (emergency situations aside) is 7 weeks. Here's my advice on what to look for in a kitten. The eyes should be clear and bright with no discharge,ears should be clean and have no funny smells coming from them,nose should be clean with no discharge and the hair coat should be soft and shiny as this is a reflection of good health. As for personality look for a friendly kitten that enjoys being handled, purring is a good sign. You can also flip the kitten over on it's back and if it lets you hold it that way it *should* grow up with an easy-going attitude.And of course, follow your heart ,your new kitten is just waiting for you to show up and claim him or her.Keep us updated! :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
PolishKid - you actually in Poland?

If so, I might just get my Grandmother involved. She's here in the states, born and raised, but speaks fluent polish, has been there two or three times, and might be able to search the net and give you a hand. Who knows...

Best age: NEVER younger than 6 weeks. Ever. They are too young to be seperated from thier mom at that age or younger. Best age is 8 weeks. That's "Normal" adoption age in my experience.

As for the price, if your mom and sister are in for this cat (or two cats, which is best) then would not they be footing most of the bill? :)

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Please don't take a kitten away from mother and littermates until twelve weeks. This is the age breeders and the CFA recommend. The public usually expects a 6-8 week kitten, but this is far too young. The kittens have much to learn from mother about being a cat and socialization from mother and littermates. Although the kitten might seem cuter to you at the younger age, you would be denying it the interaction it needs. You're in for a great experience! Have fun. :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Jeanie said:
Please don't take a kitten away from mother and littermates until twelve weeks. This is the age breeders and the CFA recommend. The public usually expects a 6-8 week kitten, but this is far too young. The kittens have much to learn from mother about being a cat and socialization from mother and littermates. Although the kitten might seem cuter to you at the younger age, you would be denying it the interaction it needs. You're in for a great experience! Have fun. :)
CFA?

I got Drizzle at 8 weeks, and he's fine...

I admit, he didn't know how to do some things: he didn't jump at first, because he was so small he couldn't reach counter tops, so I'd life him. He also had no idea how to climb the steps. I taught him. I taught him lots. So did Boo. So did my Sis. He's fine. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
PolishKid said:
For choosing the right cat i have seen on a website that it said to pick it up and if it is purring when you do, then take that one. Also, from someone we know, they said to try to touch their paw and if they don't let you, then don't get that one.

BTW, what is the youngest age that would be best to adopt a kitten in everyone's opinion? Thanks and sorry if this is long :lol:
I can say from experince that the paw thing is untrue and the purring thing I wouldn't put too much faith into either. The purring is going to be more of a reflection of the kittens environment than itself unless you are getting an adult cat.

As far as age it depends more on you than the cat really. If you want to put in the time to nurse it and be its mother for a month or 2 you can get them straight out of the womb if the mother died or ran off and they have nowhere to go. If you are looking to train it and spend a quite bit of time with it 6 or 8 weeks is acceptable. If you're looking for a finished product then 10-12 weeks is ideal.

If you get one early you're going to want to pick up some kitten milk replacement to help with feeding and weaning.

If you get your cat at a pet store you'd be well advised not to get too attached to it before you get it into a vet for a checkup because pet store cats frequently have serious health issues that you don't want to have to suffer through.

Other than all that, you should just go with your heart and pick the one that touches you the most. Because when everythings said and done thats all that matters.

·
Registered
656 Posts
hi polishkid! I am so glad you have decided to adopt a kitten. Will this be your first cat? It will be a wonderful adition to your family I am sure.
I read you mention cost, I dont know how it is in poland but some shelters in the US are farly low priced. I tried to search around some of them for you, however I cant read Polish :wink:
The reason the shelters charge the price they do is because the kitten will already be spayed or nutered and also have had his first shots when you take the kitten home from the shelter. If you adopt a kitten from a private individual, the kitten will not have had these things and you will spend much more paying a vet to do them than if you are to pay an adoption fee from a shelter.
Let us know when you pick your kitten! I am sure when you find him or her you will know right away that is the perfect kitten for you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, I am getting a lot of information and I thank you all for that. Seems like what everyone is saying is go with your heart, but that's hard when you are looking at so many kittens at a time. My mom keeps going for looks and i do like pretty kitties, but its really a matter of personality. I have seen some adult cats that i would love to adopt because other people may not be likely to adopt them and they are so nice, but this is my first cat and i want to start fresh with a kitten.

The number of kittens out there at the shelters is decreasing as it is the end of kitten season and the next kitten season is long away (at least to me it seems like it is). I really don't want to wait at all for the kitten season and i want my kitty NOW!!! LOL. It seems like such a great experience to have a cat and i love animals. I have a dog, but he is too loyal to my mom/dad and i can't stand it. What i love about cats is that they don't care who you are, they just love you because you are someone.

OK, LET ME CLARIFY THIS, I AM NOT IN POLAND!!! Sorry if i may sound kind of mad, but everyone keeps saying that i am in poland and they don't know how it is in poland. My parents are polish and i am like 100% polish in the blood, but I was born here in the states, texas. I put it in my location so all of you will remember :wink:

Thanks everyone. I hope to be getting a kitten soon, but i will be kind of busy with school so i will have less time to look but i will just have to see how everything works out. Thanks again! <<))

·
Registered
656 Posts
I am sorry to have thought you were in Poland! I read it in an earlier post and just assumed! However that is so great you are in the states because you can look on petfinder! I once saw a cat from a shelter close to me that was being adopted for only 3.00 on petfinder!! I will keep my eye out for a kitten in Texas. Here is the link to petfinder, http://www.petfinder.com . I am positive you will find a kitten here for inexpensive. Look in the classified ads as well as the shelters in your area.

·
Registered
656 Posts
P.S. when you go to classified, click search by state and sort by animal. Then you will have to scroll down alot to get past all the cats and dogs to get to the kittens. The kittens start right after the dogs. Just look for a kitten who is current on shots and inexpensive. A kitten who has already been fixed is a plus to.
Also click on pet search to search for a kitten, and look into the shelter and rescue groups. Let me know if you find one ok!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts