Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I swore when my mom was diagnosed with colon cancer that if she lost all her hair I would chop off mine and donate it..... The first round of chemo didn't do it to her, but this second round has made it fall out in clumps and it's time for me to make good on my promise.

But I have absolutely NO idea what to do with short hair! If I go the minimum 8 eight inches to donate I'll have about 3 left on top to work with, and probably just about nothing on the lower half of my head since that hair is just over eight inches. I'll probably have to cut it in about six different ponytails to maximize what I can donate.

So I need ideas! Here's a pic of me, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Without knowing your personal style, it is hard for me to make recommendations, but I want to commend you for the wonderful support you are giving your mother!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So do you think the really short pixie style could still look okay as it grows out if I don't get it trimmed regularly? I'm thinking that when I do this I'll go for the more ruffled pixie since I don't want to use a lot of product to make it flat and perfectly placed. My long hair has always looked good with the unbrushed touseled look but I don't know if short will work that way as it grows. I want it to grow back out after this so I'm not planning to cut it more than once every 4 months or so, which is what I do now.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Is your hair kinda wavy? Go with some side bangs :) As it gets longer, you can be creative with some bobby pins; also, you could graduate to a sort of bob look after your pixie cut grows out.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's got a LITTLE bit of a wave in it but it's pretty much completely straight. It's very very thick so it won't hold a curl at all, although when it's short I suppose that might work better. A couple of years ago I cut it to chin length and hated it within hours because as it dried it fluffed out and I felt like a giant mushroom. I ended up wearing a headband for about six months until it got long enough to pull back into a ponytail again. I strongly suspect that as my hair gets to that point again I will absolutely hate it, but I'm willing to tolerate it to support my mom!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Ask them to use the thinning scissors & put a few layers in when your hair gets to that length. I don't know how you would feel about it, but I've seen some people get the lower layers of hair at the back of their head shaved so the top part wouldn't look so poofy; the shaved part would only be visible if you lifted up the top part.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Oh, and if you have a problem with poofy thick hair/frizz like I do, my favorite hair product ever is John Frieda Frizz-Ease hair serum. I just rub a small amount in my hair about 30min-1hr after getting out of the shower and it works wonders! I also use this kinda expensive intense conditioner from the Matrix Essentials line that helps a lot. When I was swimming, that conditioner was the only kind that helped, and now that I'm not, I just use about half the amount I used to. Lastly, if I can, I skip brushing my hair because that just creates even more frizz and hair damage.

·
Super Moderator
26,517 Posts
Ask them to use the thinning scissors & put a few layers in when your hair gets to that length. I don't know how you would feel about it, but I've seen some people get the lower layers of hair at the back of their head shaved so the top part wouldn't look so poofy; the shaved part would only be visible if you lifted up the top part.
My hair in back is undercut because it's so thin and fine. So the very bottom layer is cut shorter than the top ones. If that makes sense. Makes my hair look fuller, but it's not shaved, just cut shorter underneath.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My hair in back is undercut because it's so thin and fine. So the very bottom layer is cut shorter than the top ones. If that makes sense. Makes my hair look fuller, but it's not shaved, just cut shorter underneath.
I know what you mean Marie; your layers are sort of "stacked" to give more body. What I was describing would actually be a partial shave. The only problem is that she couldn't easily wear her hair up, and would have to wait even longer for the bottom layer to grow out.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Diana, you have a very pretty face so the very short pixie look would look excellent on you.

One thing you could do as it grows out is to keep the lower part trimmed short and blended with the top part. Almost like a modified Dorothy Hamill look. (Does anyone else remember the Dorothy Hamill haircut?)
I used to be a hairdresser when that cut was popular and many customers successfully grew their hair out by doing that because it always looked well kept.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Talk to your hairstylist - mine was very helpful both times I donated hair. She put a plan in place on growing out my hair, which worked well for me.
Congrats on doing this.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
I agree that your face shape would help a short cut look good. If you use a talented stylist, they will be able to remedy the 'pouf' and thickness with layers and thinning. Those techniques make all the difference in the world for people with thick hair and short hairstyles.
For growing out, I'd like to recomment Biotin and Folic Acid.
I take 2 chemos, weekly and monthly, and have been using 1000mcg Biotin twice daily (2000mcg, total) and 800mcg Folic Acid once daily to combat hair loss from the anti-folate chemos. It has helped tremendously to slow/halt the hair loss and I notice my hair/nails grow like gang-busters.
Will you post after pics?

·
Super Moderator
26,517 Posts
Diana, you have a beautiful face for a short, framed haircut. The right stylist will make you look stunning!

P.S. What a great picture! You can't look at it without smiling. :grin:

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did it! Still not sure if I like it but everyone else seems to. A lot of my coworkers have stopped short as they were about to walk by me and just stared. :p

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
It looks great, Diana! Even apart from your motivation for doing it, I must say I'm ready for trends to change from everyone's long hair. All this long hair on celebrities is really getting old. So you're a trend setter! Congrats.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone! My mom loves it, and loves that I cut off my hair for her. I'd love if we could actually have my hair made into a wig for her, but I don't get the impression that directed donations work with hair. I've heard it takes between 8 and 20 donations to make a wig, so even though I have really thick hair it's probably still not enough!

This is going to take a lot of getting used to - I walked outside the salon last night and was freezing right away because my neck is bare! And washing it this morning - holy cow, what a shock! Maybe I'll grow it back out and start donating it every couple of years when it gets long enough. :)

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Maybe I'll grow it back out and start donating it every couple of years when it gets long enough. :)
That's what I've cycled through and done 3x with my hair over the past 8yrs.

The *biggest* thing for me to adjust to, going from long-to-short, was using less shampoo and conditioner.
I *love* your cut! It looks effortless and stylish no matter what; however you style it, don't style it or whatever the wind does to it. Oh, and buy a nice scarf for your neck!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts