Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
...and I have a 7 month old whirlwind!

Does anyone have any tips for making my Christmas safe and (possibly staying upright).

I have an artificial 5 foot tree which I love and can't keep smudge out of the room it will be in due to way my house is set out.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
In you are putting the tree where you normally have some hanging pictures, uses those screws to help hold the tree upright. I have a corner where the tree goes and when I take the pics down I just wrap a string around the tree and tie each end to each screw. Once the tree is up it's really does not show. My cats are older now so I don't have an issue with it anymore. Just a thought.

This will be Lacey's first Christmas with us. Wondering what she will think of the tree....probably not much, she is about as laid back as they come.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
So this is my first christmas with both cats....new SMALL apt...don't have room for a full tree...but they sell these half fake trees.(It goes against a wall...its actually genius!)...for small apaces...I'm wondering how it will stay upright and how the kitties will react to it

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
I have a 6 foot tall skinny tree! I put it in a 5 gallon bucket with rocks wedged around the trunk and its very stable!! Then I camouflage the bucket with a tree skirt and all my ornaments are break proof that go on the tree...
My breakable keepsake ornaments on displayed on a garland, out of the reach of kitties and doggies!!
So far, so good....!!! :D

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I'm not even going to try. Munch would destroy everything!
Exactly!!! Same here!! except it would be Sadie at it! Holidays are stressful enough!!

I'll put up things like the cards on the dinning room mirror, hang a couple of little ornaments in the bottom of the chandeliers in the lounge. A nativity on the mantle, seasonal placemats, etc. Little things that at least bring on a holiday feel to it but the 'menace' won't even pay attention to.

P.S. I've now officially reached Cat Addict status!! :yellbounce

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Ditto, Sara and Cat Face - Nala is curiosity in high gear.

After I decided to not put up a tree, I bought a little wire ornament holder as a (sad) substitute. That did not last long either.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Christmas trees are just giant cat toys. We usually have an artificial tree (easier to deal with in Florida) but one year my genius husband decided to buy a 15 foot real tree. A tinsel decorated stick of dynamite would have been less destructive.

The cat climbed up the tree. (It's a tree indoors, who can resist?) The tree fell over. Water drenched the presents underneath and the tree itself broke our ceiling fan. Remarkably not a single ornament was broken.

Weigh the tree down (we put bricks on the tree stand and covered it with the tree skirt) and only use ornaments that you are not afraid of losing and won't hurt the cats if they decide to play with them.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Don't be scared - just go with the inevitable!! I have some lovely pics from last year - especially of Becky peering out of the tree.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Hahaha I have a 1/2 tree...(Its for apts...small spaces). They can only hang on it or climb it :( repeat 3 times...they WILL be good, they WILL be good, they WILL be good ;)

·
Banned
422 Posts
I wonder how my brother has managed to keep both of his cats out of the tree - I've only ever seen them lay underneath it. One year when I was up visiting the younger cat never came out from under the tree the entire time I was there.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I think we are going to try with a small real (6'?) tree, few ornaments, kids on stand-by watching for delinquent the kittens and see what happens. The kittens are 9 months old. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
When I was younger, our cats never messed with the tree..they just laid underneath it on the soft skirt cover. Kitty presents!!!!! :)

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
I would just see how things go, use minimal decorations... avoid putting breakables on the tree and of course no tinsel! Keep the tree away from breakable objects or remove the breakables while the tree is up. Sometimes the tree getting knocked over will only happen once and the cats are scared for life...other times it's a game. A friend's cat sits in their tree and runs off with all the decorations...

Some cats just like sitting under a tree, too. Others ignore Christmas trees entirely!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a fiber optic tree that I don't put any ornaments on - it's pretty enough w/ just the lights and some garland. Desmond only knocked it down once last year, but no harm done. Any ornaments I hang (on the bookcase) are unbreakable.

After I was married and out of the house, my dad and sibs had a cat that used to sleep in the manger under the tree! :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts