Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cat's microbiome is severely messed up. Lots of prevotella, lots of missing flora and the presence of campylobacter. I have switched to Blue Wilderness turkey High protein low carb canned food and started rx clay. Diarrhea has been seldom over the last 10 weeks, was liquid prior to. But for the last 10 weeks since changing foods to hills id (stopped feeding that a week ago) she has a very large bowel movement followed by cramping, pushing and small amounts of stool with some mucus. Has anyone had this issue before? Food recomendations? I may try fecal transplant pills to see if that helps. I habent tried metronidazole because I want the good bateria to stay but maybe I am wrong. Please help

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi J. Have you spoken with a Vet who specializes in GI issues? Your local SPCA may be able to advise you. I honestly don't know if this will help and certainly check with your Vet before starting anything new, but I do know some people who started their cats on a prescription probiotic for gastro issues and had some good results. I hope it all works out for you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She has seen two different vets. I am tryimg to fix the problem not mask it with more antibiotics and ateriods. I have not found a gi dr here unfortunately.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yes of course you don't want to just mask the problem, nor would I suggest that. Generally speaking, antibiotics are designed to eradicate acute infections for a limited course of treatment, and probiotics are designed to be taken on a daily basis to promote healthy bacteria (similar to the active cultures in yogurt and probiotics for humans but made specifically for cats and dogs) along with testing, proper nutrition, and exercise. Here's a link from what I consider to be a reputable source:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. I will take a look. Weve dome different food trials, upped exercise and tried fortiflora. Just ordered a different probiotic and may start the fecal.transplant pills soon. Everything seems great with her asode feom the cramping and pushing after bowel movements. And she only goes once a day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just started giving this after months of my cat having what I believe is colitis. Went from diarrhea to normal stools after a food change but right after she poops she goes around the house pushing with small patties. Anyways after starting this she now has diarrhea but isnt cramping so much after. Everything thing I read says it helps firm up stool? anyone else have these issues?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts