Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a female catt, approx 5 years old, whose nose is contiuously stuffy. I never see any discharge/snotmucus, only hear it. I've taken her to the vet several times for this, and the vet always listens to her lungs, tells me it is not in her lungs.
She has been tested for all the bad kitty viruses, and was clear before we brought her to our house. We have many cats, none of them have ever "caught" her ailment. Her third lid is not showing, and she has no other symptoms, she eats well, normal poop, and is usually pretty lively and up for play and/or running around.
Over the past 2 years, she's been to the vet a few times for the same problem. She gets antibiotics, and is better for about 3 weeks, then the stuffy nose is back.
I don't want to keep cycling her on antibiotics, as I am afraid it will eventually wear out her immune system.

Someone once mentioned it might be an allergy, but that it's very expensive to find out what she might be allergic to. We have had limited success with temporarily clearing her nose with a plain sterile saline solution, and have occasionally used Little Noses with decongestant with some success. She will occasionally take a big deep breath and sort of sneeze, but nothing ever comes out.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Chronic stuffy nose is difficult to diagnose; could be a number of things from Herpes Virus to allergies. I would investigate allergies first as it won't cost you anything. It could be any number of things.....cigarette smoke, perfumed air fresheners, laundry dryer sheets, floor cleaners. Eliminate anything perfumed, smoking, use pure soap in laundry, water and vinegar for floors. Do this for a month or more and see if there is any difference. She may have some kind of chronic sinusitis, and sometimes probiotics and L-lysine can make a difference---there is a gel form called Viralys, or in treat form Enisyl-F Lysine. I hope you find something that works. Good luck!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I have acquired some viralys powder and am going to try to eliminate possible dust sources.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts