Cat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I have a kitty that is about 6 years old when he began to chronically vomit. After about a month and $800 of testing the vet says he has a food allergy that developed in mid-life.

So he is on science diet d/d, which he only will eat when he is desperately hungry. He doesn't vomit on that, but he really hates it (it's probably bland or tastes lousy to him). I have the other two flavors of the d/d on order, and am hoping one of them he likes.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and what you might have done with it.

He not only seems to be allergic to his old science diet, but now his treats, and even salmon.

Thanks!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I actually had this happen, too, back when I first joined (actually the reason I joined!). I was feeding her dry food and wet food. To this day I still don't know what caused the vomitting, though it was diagnosed as a food allergy to Wellness (clearly not). The vet blamed her diet. And told me she needed xrays, blood work, and all kinds of tests. Talk about expensive. Everything came back 100% normal. They scared me with calling it a pancreatitis flare up. Worried myself sick until I got the blood work back! She puked 2x a day (one after the other) every day for almost two months.

They put her on the a/d (for sensitive tummies) and I honestly took her off after a day. The ingredients are horrid! I put her BACK on what I was feeding her prior, just only wet food. Going onto a 100% grain free wet food only diet stopped her puking literally over night.

Now she happily eats 50% raw food and 50% wet food. Wet in the morning, raw before bed.

Crunchie/soft treats make her puke. So does freeze dried/dehydrated treats. She can't eat dry food. Beef. Or anything with grains. Each cat is different. Try a wet food diet and see if he pukes from it after a couple days.

Hopefully you can get him on a good diet for him! Those RX diets really aren't healthy... Vet's aren't nutritionists. They only get a course in it.

Wellness, Evo, Innova, Natural Balance, California Natural, there's a lot of good high quality brands to try. If you're willing to pay for the rx diet then their prices shouldn't be an issue (cheaper)! The RX diet cost me $2.10 per 5.5oz can. :(

·
Registered
188 Posts
I hope you get it figured out quickly! I know having to fiddle with your kitty's diet is no fun, I'm trying to figure out what is best for my kitten right now!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What did the vet say your kitty was allergic to?
I guess all the food he gets except science diet d/d. Doesn't sound right when I hear myself say it. I thought the salmon made him vomit, but he got alot of "treats that day too. Maybe the treats are like cheap lousy food like a big mac or chicken nuggets are for us.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually had this happen, too, back when I first joined (actually the reason I joined!). I was feeding her dry food and wet food. To this day I still don't know what caused the vomitting, though it was diagnosed as a food allergy to Wellness (clearly not). The vet blamed her diet. And told me she needed xrays, blood work, and all kinds of tests. Talk about expensive. Everything came back 100% normal. They scared me with calling it a pancreatitis flare up. Worried myself sick until I got the blood work back! She puked 2x a day (one after the other) every day for almost two months.

They put her on the a/d (for sensitive tummies) and I honestly took her off after a day. The ingredients are horrid! I put her BACK on what I was feeding her prior, just only wet food. Going onto a 100% grain free wet food only diet stopped her puking literally over night.

Now she happily eats 50% raw food and 50% wet food. Wet in the morning, raw before bed.

Crunchie/soft treats make her puke. So does freeze dried/dehydrated treats. She can't eat dry food. Beef. Or anything with grains. Each cat is different. Try a wet food diet and see if he pukes from it after a couple days.

Hopefully you can get him on a good diet for him! Those RX diets really aren't healthy... Vet's aren't nutritionists. They only get a course in it.

Wellness, Evo, Innova, Natural Balance, California Natural, there's a lot of good high quality brands to try. If you're willing to pay for the rx diet then their prices shouldn't be an issue (cheaper)! The RX diet cost me $2.10 per 5.5oz can. :(

You know when I think about how cheap and disgusting some people food is, like McD's, etc... It may be little wonder that alot of pet food is that much more so. Like from a corporate standpoint I can see them thinking "What's the cheapest stuff we can make that will sell?"

There are grains in science diet, and probably corn products - I'll have to check the label. Cats really aren't designed to eat grains, or corn. They are made to eat meat.

Thank you MissBoots, I think you might be on to something here. I will go buy some of these today, and see how it goes. Any idea which one is the best quality? I don't care how much it costs. Are there any treats that are high quality I can buy also?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Oh I know what you're going through.

One of my girls, Evie, has a food allergy too. She doesn't vomit (well she does if she eats pure chicken breast), but she gets chronic diarrhea.

We spent hundreds of pounds on vet visits, before they finally said it might be a food allergy. We put Evie on an elimination diet, but we chose the food ourselves. The vet wanted to put her on Science Diet, but I know how poor quality it is. So we researched ourselves and found cat food with a single source of protein. I live in England, so the brands are different, but she's on Integra Lamb and Kattovit Duck. They are the only two she can tolerate. We think it's predominantly a chicken allergy, but she can't handle rabbit or some lamb foods (I don't understand this bit, but I've seen the results!).

Evie has freeze dried fish and duck treats too, which she loves.

All of this isn't cheap, especially as we have two cats and both need to be on the special diet (as Evie will eat anything in sight), but they are worth every single penny. Evie is so much healthier- her coat is shiny and thick, her eyes are bright, she's got more energy, and her pooping everywhere had stopped.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

God Bless You!!!!!

I think this is the final piece of the puzzle. I got him some Blue Buffalo Grain Free wet food today. I got him kitten formula as he is just skin and bones. He sucked it down like there was no tomorrow, and so far no vomiting. It's been about 2 & 1/2 hours so far!

Yeah!!!
:catmilk

·
Registered
158 Posts
The best bet with wet food is to just go through the cat food isle and read all the labels, and find one you're comfortable with. Right now in my pantry there's Wellness grain free, Wellness CORE, Innova, Evo, LID Natural Balance, Newman's Own grain free, and Before the Grain.

The more variety I give her the happier she is, given she can't eat beef, turkey, or too much grain. A little in wet doesn't make her puke, but if I give her dry with grain that's it- up it comes, along with acne.

My vet pretty much said what you said yours said (said said said that sounds silly). He told me she's allergic to any and all food I've given her- and she needs to be on an RX diet, which has the SAME ingredients I was feeding her only they're by-products and have significantly more grains.

Hope your kitty does better! I also gave her some Laxatone (hairball treatment) on the first day just to see if it was a hairball. Lol. She puked up a hairball and never puked since. So who knows! And when I give her dry, she pukes too.

The only treats she'll eat are cooked chicken and Temptations (temptations, horrible ingredients, but she loves em like a druggie so we try to limit her). Everything else makes her puke. But again, every kitty is different! The only thing you can really do is give things a try!

·
Registered
67 Posts
He is also loaded with acne - But never had it before. Man, it couldn't be any more obvious now.

Yeah, I think one of the ingredients of Temptations is crack cocaine. My cats will hurt me to get at them.

It's been four hours now on the new food, and 100% vomit free. He wolfed down a can and a half (which is alot given he is like 9 pounds soaking wet) and has been passed out ever since.

It is so good to see him so happy and content. This has been a really tough deal.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
My Little Chiquita puked all the time, I took her off the Meow Mix dry and now she's eating Natural Balance dry mixed with Fancy Feast dry, only way I could get her to eat the Natural Balance and no barfing recently.

·
Registered
158 Posts
He is also loaded with acne - But never had it before. Man, it couldn't be any more obvious now.

Yeah, I think one of the ingredients of Temptations is crack cocaine. My cats will hurt me to get at them.

It's been four hours now on the new food, and 100% vomit free. He wolfed down a can and a half (which is alot given he is like 9 pounds soaking wet) and has been passed out ever since.

It is so good to see him so happy and content. This has been a really tough deal.
Bootsie had a bad acne breakout, too! All while the puking started. Hopefully the wet food only helps him! :) A week after the wet switch it was making significant improvements. Now she only has acne when I feed her beef raw, which I no longer do. That's actually how I discovered her beef allergy.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Sorry to hear about kitty =(

One thing I like to do is research what goes into pet foods. It is, I believe the main cause of pet illness in 80% of cases.

So with that said lets look at what is inside the D/D

Ground Yellow Peas, Pea Protein Concentrate, Duck, Ground Green Peas, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Powdered Cellulose, Calcium Sulfate, Chicken Liver Flavor, Fish Oil, Choline Chloride, DL -Methionine, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Glyceryl Monostearate, Iodized Salt, Potassium Sulfate, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Vitamin E Supplement, Dicalcium Phosphate, Cysteine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols & Citric Acid, Phosphoric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

The first thing is peas and they are by far the main ingredient in this food. Cats have a lot of trouble digesting plant life. They are strict carnivores. Ingredient splitting is also something sneaky pet foods do and its shown here with the peas.

Powdered Cellulose ~ This is ground up wood chips. yummy huh?

DL -Methionine- Methionine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Its an additive that changes the PH of urine. It can hurt the kidney's and pets no fed this live longer.

They also list 2 different salts. Potassium Chloride and iodized salt. Both cheap fixes to help flavor and that much salt is never good for a pet.

Dicalcium Phosphate- this is poultry feed

Ok those are off the top of my head. So now you are lovingly feeding your cat peas and wood chips and wondering why he is vomiting lol
Pet food and vets crack me up sometimes :?

This isn't solving the problem and making you spend tons of money and having a very unhappy cat. What you need to do is isolate what it was in his old food that he was having trouble with. What were you feeding him before?

I would suggest looking into grain free cat foods that use turkey or chicken. Turkey and chicken are more gentle on the tummy. There are some rare cases of cats having allergies to turkey and chicken but far more common that it was something else in the food. There are many grain free foods out there that cost just as much as that Science Diet Garbage the vets keep selling. EVO, Before Grain, Wellness, and a bunch of others I can't remember off the top of my head.

Read those labels like a detective. Google any and everything your not sure of or never heard before. Those big letters can hide something really dangerous. Once you can isolate what is causing the issue you will know how to handle it.

Think of it like human kids. If I know one of my kids has hives or an allergic reaction I am not going to 100% completely change their diet. This way I would never know what they had a reaction to. I would watch carefully and keep a record of the foods they ate that day. If I see the same reaction later, I can pin point what is causing problems. I had to do this when we found my daughter was lactose intolerant.

All pet food companies are EVIL corrupt and are not regulated. There are some out there less corrupt then others but suspect everything and don't trust what they say. Go forth pet food detective and always keep that in the forefront of your research :p

·
Registered
672 Posts
Also, keep in mind that what you are basically being told is that your human child MIGHT (or might not) be allergic to strawberries so you are never ever allowed to give your child ANY fruit ever again.

Kind of silly, huh? Be a detective and find out exactly what it is your cat has an allergy to.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
For treats we buy Natural Balance Perfect Bites: Rabbit. They have some grain but unlike Temptations they are free of corn, soy and wheat. Usually my cats HATE natural and healthy treats, only the crack like Temptation and Party Mix but they beg for these treats at the pantry door. I got them on sale at Petco for the first bag but are pretty expensive otherwise. They are totally worth it thought!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Over 26 hours with no vomiting. He's been snacking on chicken and salmon and looks so happy!

This was it exactly - Stinking Grain Based Food - Thank you guys so much!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Glad he's doing well! You're most welcome! :) I got my fingers crossed he remains puke free!

I know I personally got tired of hauling the "puke bucket" to each puke spot every morning when I got up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts