Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two cats have had urinary tract infections in the past, so I know what signs to look for. Now, im not 100% sure, but I think one of them might have one right now. Bringing them to the vet is too stressful on them, and if nothing is wrong then a UTI could possibly develop from the stress of going to the vet. My vet usually gives me some clavamox if I feel they need it, which has been a while. So my question is, would it be okay to just give each cat two weeks worth of clavamox just in case there might be an infection?

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
The unnecessary overuse of antibiotics is what has bred the superbugs that now plague the human population ... and I would dare guess are also jeopardizing the health of our companion animals. Antibiotics should not be given unless a verified bacterial infection is present.

FYI, UTI and interstitial cystitis can have identical visual symptoms (a urinalysis and/or urine culture is required to differentiate one from the other). From what I've read, interstitial cystitis is far more common in cats than UTI, and interstitial cystitis won't respond to antibiotics.

Laurie

Laurie

1 - 2 of 2 Posts