Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so all of my cats are good groomers, mostly. Winston refuses to clean his bum. I have no idea why,there are no signs that he is ill...he just doesnt clean his bum. Ive even caught the other kitties cleaning it for him. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
My Celia doesn't clean herself either, and she never has. I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen her. I just wish Margaux would be like your other kitties, because Celia thinks the rugs are an excellent means of wiping her butt.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ok so all of my cats are good groomers, mostly. Winston refuses to clean his bum. I have no idea why,there are no signs that he is ill...he just doesnt clean his bum. Ive even caught the other kitties cleaning it for him. Any ideas?
My fiance's cat, Chinchilla used to be unable to clean her bottom. Her companion, TC would do that for her from time to time. I've had to wipe her bottom with a **** paper towel a few times. But since she's lost weight, she's been able to clean herself better.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
For those cats who won't clean their own bum, the best way is to have a groomer shave a "potty patch" if they're used to being groomed professionally. Or you can do it yourself with blunt-nose moustache scissors. Clip as close to the skin as you can a 2 in. circle around the anus. This will help to keep any poo getting caught in the bloomers, tho you may have to give them a little trim as well if you're getting "clingers" or poo there.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He is a big boy, but according to the vet not overweight. Just a tank compared to other cats I know. Winston is the Maine **** so he just comes from large ish cats. He can clean his butt, I have seen him do it. I dont know what the deal is with that but I will continue to wipe for him I suppose. Mercifully he is a medium to short coat and does not have the typical Maine **** coat. I dont know what Id do if I had captain dingleberries.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Even when Celia was svelte, she just never cleaned herself. Poo doesn't get stuck in her fur, but her anus is occasionally lightly decorated.

I'll try a damp tissue.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Sorry for my ignorance, I never knew cats cleaned their own bum because I have never witnessed my kitty doing that. But it does cross my mind before about whether there is a need to clean their bum. I have tried looking at my kitty's bum to see if there are any poop stains, and his bum looks clean. So, they licked their butt clean? so they swallowed the poop too?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Silly cleans Birch's bum, but Birch doesn't return the favor. Come to think of it, Silly cleans Birch much more than Birch cleans Silly. Funny kitties.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for my ignorance, I never knew cats cleaned their own bum because I have never witnessed my kitty doing that. But it does cross my mind before about whether there is a need to clean their bum. I have tried looking at my kitty's bum to see if there are any poop stains, and his bum looks clean. So, they licked their butt clean? so they swallowed the poop too?
They dont always have cliffhangers, usually its just a part of grooming. I just happen to have captain lazypaws, who also just has poor litter box etiquette in general. So he ends up with a dirty bum. The other two handle any issues they may have. Which amuses me because they are both DLH to Winston's DSH. Silly kitties.

·
Registered
786 Posts
One of my cats has frequent loose stools so I have to keep an eye out when she goes and I usually grab her and wipe her with a kleenex as it sometimes runs down her bum. My ragdoll cat I have to trim around her tail/bum area or else poop will get stuck to it and dangle around the house until it eventually drops somewhere :s. we just cut it ourself with scissors

1 - 11 of 11 Posts