Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be moving out of this apartment soon and unfortunately will have to do a little more in depth cleaning. Does any one know of a good cleaner to use to clean out the oven and also something for those little metal things that go underneath the stovetop?
Also, what should I use to get rid of rust? We have BRAND SPANKING NEW expensive Oneida silverware (wedding gifts) and one of our butterknives has rust on it! :evil:

·
Registered
672 Posts
I dont know abut the silverware, but I use Easy-Off to clean my oven and it works great.

About the little silver things on the stove, those are pretty cheap, so if all else fails to clean those you can just get new ones at walmart.

·
Registered
260 Posts
We have a steam cleaner, and it has this dinky little attachment to clean stoves.

However if you don't have one of them there are some good oven cleaning products out there that do work. Can't reccomend(sp?) you a brand name because I live in NZ.

Good luck.

Sam

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
GREASE LIGHTNING!!!! I swear that stuff will remove anything from anywhere! I use it for everything :)

Anyway, there's also a product called CLR that I've seen on some infomercials (the same guy that does OxiClean I believe) but I don't know if you can get it in stores. Its supposed to remove rust and other things like lime deposits, soap scum, stuff like that.

I've heard you can use toothpaste to clean sterling silver... I don't know if it has to be a special kind or not though. Maybe even jewelry cleaner?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I don't know how to get rust off silverware, but if I was you, I would be writing a letter to Oneida. There's no reason for your silverware to rust.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The silverware was put in the dishwasher and we had it on air dry instead of heat dry. Somehow the water sitting on them caused it to rust along with the semi-expensive JA Henkel knives that we got (although not much). :(
Maybe if I wrote Oneida or went a place where it was sold, they'd give me a new one? I just don't want a repeat of this! My cheapo silverware has not had problems with rusting.
Now, of course, we make sure to have the dishwasher on heat dry.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I don't know how to get rust off silverware, but if I was you, I would be writing a letter to Oneida. There's no reason for your silverware to rust.
I would agree, there is no reason for Oneida to rust, it is supposed to be high quality. Does the Oneida web site have instructions and tips for cleaning?

I also have JA Henkel knives and I do not put in them in the dishwasher at all.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Dawn power dissolve worked well for my little metal thingies under the stove. But as mentioned -- you could just buy new ones, they are cheap. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts