Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have another question. Yesterday I stepped in a (clear) wet spot near my cat's litter box and looked down to find what looked like a small, soggy clump of hair on the carpet. She was acting fine so I didn't think much of it.

Just now (a day later), I watched her vomit a large amount of clear liquid with another small clump of hair in it. She's also freaking me out a little because she tried to dig in the dirt of a cactus plant we have on the floor, something that she has completely ignored for the 8 months we've had her. She seems restless, but not sick.

I looked up a description of a hairball and it sounds like what I saw was too little hair to be a hairball. She has an appointment Monday morning for her vaccinations. Am I okay to wait until then?

(edit to add: she's still eating fine and I saw her drinking water earlier this afternoon)

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
It does sound like a hairball, tho she hasn't vomited it up. Some just pass through. As long as she's lively and eating well, I wouldn't worry about it, but you can ask your vet what s/he recommends. If it's a longhair cat you may have to give it something periodically particularly during spring when they drop a lot of coat. Combing regularly will help to remove loose hair that won't get licked up.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Sounds like a standard issue hairball to me, too. A little gross, but nothing to cause alarm. Pick up some CatLax or other hairball remedy when you're at your vet's or a pet store, and administer it according to the directions. My cats always start blowing their coats about now, so this is prime hairball season.

Laurie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts