Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that ever since I switched over to Vista that my C drive is all used up. It is so annoying & it keeps having a pop up saying that the C drive is full & to do a cleanup. I did the disk cleanup & it only cleared a tiny amount of space which it is full again. I have about 30 gigs on my C drive & have cleared all the unecessary programs out. What else can I do besides having it reformatted to a larger C drive :?:

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I've heard some bad things about Windows Vista. That's why we only use Windows XP for our computers. Although that probably didn't help much... :roll: I'll see what I can find doing a google search. :D BTW Kim, you have WAY more memory available on your computer than I do on my own computer. :lol: But, you probably don't have your computer all junked up with pictures of your favorite baseball players, do you? :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I bought a Western Digital 500 GIG (yes 500) external drive for about $120 a few months ago.

External drives are brilliant. Keep all your music and pics etc on it, and free up space. Plus you can back up important files, so if you DO need to format, then it's less of a hassle.

·
Banned
12,197 Posts
Kim, when you say you might need to reformat it to a "larger C drive" do you mean to say that you have your drive partitioned? (ie two or more logical drives on one physical drive - usually C:\, D:\, or more) If that's the case, you can buy programs that can move the partition and make your logical C drive larger without having to reformat.

The external drive is a great idea also when you use it for backups and also stuff that takes up a lot of space, like image files.

Last suggestion -- I don't know if this applies to Vista, but in XP when you do a disk cleanup, on the Options tab there's an option to delete all restore points except the last one. These restore points take up a HUGE amount of disk space. I delete them about once a month and usually in a month accumulate about three GIGs of restore point files (they're in a hidden directory; you can't see them) Do a virus & spyware scan, a checkdisk, and then a manual restore point before you say goodbye to all your previous restore points (just in case)

·
Registered
203 Posts
A couple of years ago, I began kicking my Microsoft addiction, and I now use GNU/Linux almost exclusively.

It's much more transparent than Windows, so you can more easily manage disk space.

GNU/Linux is free, and so are almost all the applications you need.

That means I can spend all that money on the kitties. :D

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tim - I have a partitioned drive. 30 Gigs on my C drive & about 90 on my D drive. I will have my bf move things around so I can have a larger C drive later. Oh & I did do some disk cleanup & it barely cleaned any large amount of space.

As far as external hard drives, I have 2 just in case. On this laptop, I haven't moved anything over from them & it's a good thing I didn't because I feel like space is already being maxed out.

Who would've thought 120 Gig hard drive is big? I think my next computer has to have at least 200 Gigs minimum lol. :lol:

·
Banned
12,197 Posts
Ya, 30G is too small for a system partition. I think the partition software is the solution to your immediate problem.

News flash: I went away to google partitioning software because I haven't kept up to speed and it looks like Windows Vista has the built-in capability to resize its partitions:

http://www.vistarewired.com/2007/02/16/ ... dows-vista

How well it works, I dunno. Partition Magic used to be a pretty good piece of work, but it was bought by Symantec, which is not good news, and worse yet this article says it doesn't work with Vista.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
WELL.......Huh???

Who gave you guys the right to speak in a foreign language on
here anyways???

I am completely lost.
This kind of computer talk is beyond me.....

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Wow 8O I thought I had tons of videogames, pictures, weird programs, songs, all the original Microsoft applications, chat servers...just tons of stuff on my computer. I have 56 gigs, and I'm only using 14 of them! I feel very small, suddenly.

How did you decide which programs were unnecessary? Are you going to the add/delete programs list, or just looking in the Start section? If you have large stores of stuff, such as pictures, have you copied everything to disks and then deleted the original from your computer?

Isn't there a thingy somewhere that shows how much space each sort of file is taking up? I.e., 12% of your space is taken up by media and pictures?

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Huge said:
heh, I always forget that as well. I have it set to 10% of my hard drive, Which is 12 gig :D.
Hmm, you can set your trashbin to a certain amount? Or am I misunderstanding? :oops:

Yep, I went through my control panel & deleted unecessary programs. I moved all my pictures to my D drive & emptied my trash bin.

I will have to wait for my bf to look at my computer & move some more space to the C drive. Meanwhile I will have to live with that popup that says my C drive is full :evil:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
If I had Vista, the first thing I would put in the recycling bin IS Vista. Nothing like Microsoft creating a bug-laden OS and then force feeding it to anyone who wants to buy a computer. I don't own a computer with Vista and if I can help it, I never will....but my Vista rant is another thread.... :wink:

·
Banned
12,197 Posts
Right on, Richo. I bought a new laptop earlier this year with Vista preinstalled, and it irritates me every time I use it. I'm going to put Windows XP on there. At least I'm used to its faults, and they're not really all that bad. Vista just seems to get in the way of everything you want to do. You know what upset me the most? No "up" button on Windows Explorer. And I looked all over where to add it and it appears there is NO up button. And nothing even mentioned on the Microsoft website. Grrrrr!! :evil:

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
kitkat said:
Huge said:
heh, I always forget that as well. I have it set to 10% of my hard drive, Which is 12 gig :D.
Hmm, you can set your trashbin to a certain amount? Or am I misunderstanding? :oops:
Right click on the bin and go to properties. Under the 2Global" tab, there is a slider which you can set. If you delete a file that is larger than the capacity of your bin, it will just delete, there's no "going back" option.
Deleting is a bit of a misnomer anyway. I watched this doccumantary the other day on forensic computer science... It was incredible. If needed they can retrieve ANY file they want from your hard drive, even AFTER it's been reformatted!

I'm going to get Vista when they've fixed it. Probably when they stop supporting XP.

·
Banned
12,197 Posts
Microsoft's support policies are to give five years of support at the service pack level and 10 years of support at the security update level. Windows XP SP2 was released in 2005, so they stop supporting that in 2010. They didn't give a date for SP3, but since that was released, when? last year? that support would end in 2012-2013. Lots of life left yet in XP.
SP2 support: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean31
Support policies: http://support.microsoft.com/common/int ... RDPATH=gp;[ln];lifecycle&pr=lifecycle

1 - 20 of 22 Posts