Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried clicker training their cats? I clicker train the dogs but haven't tried the cats yet but am considering it.

Nettie

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I haven't tried but I'd be really interested to read some replies... Also where can you buy clickers as I have seen lots of books on the subject, but no clickers :(

·
Registered
366 Posts
I've never done any clicker training either, however from what I've read it can be done fairly easily - but you also need to give a food reward every time your cat responds to the clicker. I have a book at home (The Everything Cat Book) that goes into some detail on how it can be done.

Just last night, I was at my pet food store - small local place - and they had a whole rack of clickers for cats hanging on the end of an aisle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have clicker trained the dogs. The initial idea is that you 'charge' your clicker so you click and treat, repeat a few times until the animal associates the click with a treat. Then you wait, when your cat does a behaviour you like, you click (the idea is that it is easy to click at exactly the time the animal is doing the behaviour you want than to get a treat to it, in the meantime it might have stopped the behaviour you were looking for and you will end up treating it for doing something completely different so the click becomes the behaviour marker) and then you treat, if you click by mistake you must still treat, a treat must always follow the click. After a bit the cat will realise that if it does a certain behaviour then it gets a click and treat, you can then add either a verbal or action cue to that particular behaviour, after a few sessions the cat will then give you the behaviour on verbal or action cue. To get a new behaviour don't click for the old behaviour, you'll find your cat will try something different very quickly and once you have him doing something you want, you click and treat and go through the above process again.

Its quite important to do the initial training in the same place/room each time, until the behaviour is completely learnt don't move to a new location. 5 -10 minutes per session is probably long enough, they lose their concentration after a while and it is supposed to be FUN! You can do a few sessions a day. Its also easier to train one animal at a time.

Ok well that's how it works with my dogs, really should try it with the cats.

Would be interested if anyone decides to give this a try.

Nettie

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well - good luck. I am kind of curious 'cause I thought the cats train humans and not the other way around :oops:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts