Cat Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cat, Moe (picture attached) has been troubling me with a health issue for about a year now. Almost every time he goes poop, there is mucousy blood on it as well. Along with the blood, his stool is fairly loose. Not diarrhea, but not as firm as it should be. And it is really SMELLY. Luckily, he does not cover his poop when he goes and I can monitor how he's doing. Other than this, he acts totally fine and is a happy cat.

When I first discovered this soon after adopting him, I was terrified and made a vet appointment right away. However the vets have tried many things now, and nothing has worked. First he was tested for parasites... multiple times. That was negative. He was given antibiotics and probiotics. We switched him to Science Diet Sensitive Stomach food. When I found out that Science Diet is not a good food, I switched him to Acana... a grain free food thinking that would help. And yet the blood continues.

He is a cat that LOVES to chew everything in sight, and plastic is his favorite. I was thinking that he may be eating something around the house that makes him bleed when he passes it but we've kept plastic bags away from him now and got rid of all our fake plants, etc. I just don't think this is the problem.

After researching, I found that it could be IBS, a food allergy, or sensitivity to kibble or also cancer. The vets think it could be cancer and their next step is to ultrasound. Here's the thing... Moe is only 2 years old. Could he really have cancer already?

Anyways, sorry for the long post. I'm willing to try anything. I just want to find a way to get him 100% healthy.
Does anybody have any ideas on what I should do?

-A worried cat mom :neutral:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Can you list all of the treatments he's been given already, including specific med names? That will help us narrow down our suggestions. My two top suspects would be coccidia and giardia, but your vet *should* have treated for those already just to rule them out.

Laurie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let's see... Starting from the beginning:
-Fecal exam while he was at the shelter
-Fecal exam after I adopted
-Given FortiFlora and Metronidazole
-Parasite Screen for Giardia Eliza
-Given Metronidazole again

So far that's it! Or at least what my records show. I felt like he had more fecal exams but I guess not.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
OK, so he's been treated for giardia but not for coccidia. It is uncommon for coccidia to cause symptoms in an adult cat, but it can happen. Coccidia can also be missed in fecal exams, so a negative fecal isn't definitively negative for its absence. If I were you, I'd have the vet treat for coccidia, as well.

Laurie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We asked the vet if they could prescribe medicine for coccidia without a fecal exam because those haven't been doing anything. We should have something by Monday or Tuesday. I'm not getting my hopes up that it will be fixed though. Any other thoughts are very welcome!

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Blood on the stool can also be caused by stress, though your description doesn't give any indication of a stress-inducing environment. If there are things in his daily life that cause him stress, though, that may account for the blood on his stool.

Are you feeding him kibble or canned? Cats with digestive issues should be fed an exclusively canned (or homemade) diet, assuming he'll eat canned food. You also need to understand that diet changes aren't quick fixes. A cat needs to be on a specific diet for at least six weeks before you'll know how his body will ultimately react to that diet.

Laurie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.