Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just switched to clumping litter today from using Yesterday's News. I really don't like non-clumping litters...and no matter how much I cleaned that box it smelled about 3 days after I put fresh stuff in it. I was going through a lot of litter. I scoop it twice a day.

So anyway, I switched to clumping litter...and my cat is going INSANE!!!!!! It is a covered litterbox...and he is in there and just jumping around and digging and pretending he is seeing things and pouncing on them! It's covered, but he's making a MESS! It's really really funny....but does anyone know why he is doing that????? As soon as I put the new litter in he peed in it so I know he likes it. But I don't want the litterbox to become his newest playground!!!!!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Hahaha Psi does that too. He sits in there for about 10 minutes after he is finished peeing and plays around. He shoots litter all over the place and ours is covered too! I would just let your kitty do it and he'll eventually get bored, or when you are positive that he is done in there, just bang on the side of it and tell him to come out. It's probably just a kitten thing. Afterall, they thing EVERYTHING is a toy. I guess this includes his poos hehehehe.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
My cat makes a mess too. She had to dig and throw litter all over the place before she can do her thing, not to mention afterwards. :roll: I still prefer clumping litter though, so much easier to keep it clean and smelling good, just scoop once a day and you are done.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
i remember when vienna was just a little kitten, in the night she use to get put in the bathroom, she was really good we kept her litter tray in there, and she would sit at the door meowing when she wanted to do her business

anyway ill get there eventually, one morning i got up, and of course she heard me up so did her little "let me out of here!!!!!!!" routine, so i opened the door, but she was using her litter tray..... and well guess what....
she was in the process of doing a number 2 (to be polite) she was that excited that the door was open she didnt bother to finish she just ran lol

oh god i still remember it now, she pebble dashed our bathroom wall with cat litter and erm number 2's

i love cats, its funny how they have to find the right spot in the litter tray to do thier business too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, my cats used to do that with their clumping cat litter and now I know why! One day I came home after buying a bag of cat litter. I was being lazy and just put the bag of litter by the door on the linoleum. The cat somehow ripped a hole in the bag and litter spilled all over the floor. He proceeded to play in the litter until I came to see what all the commotion was. That was when I realized why they like to play in clumping cat litter. It is quite staticky so in a plastic litterbox (or on the linoleum) the litter tends to jump due to static. That's why they pounce on it like something is moving. See the cat isn't crazy, something actually is moving. You have to get down to cat level to see the jumping cat litter. Then you will realize why your cat is so interested in it. The fun subsided after my cats got older. Maybe the jumping cat litter gets boring after awhile.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts