Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had cats for maybe 30 years, during which time we've had every type of litter box, including a no-litter box tray with just an adult diaper for a 20+ year old who could no longer climb into a litter box, much less cover anything with her paws.

Of late, I've come to appreciate that a liner is more trouble than it's worth. Also, once my anti-dust experiments finish up, I think I'll be happy with Scoop Away litter. Only one problem remains.

While the large lumps are easily scooped into a Litter Genie, there are small lumps in there as well, and they just pass right through the slots in the scoop. That scoop, as well as all I've seen in Petco and Petsmart, has openings--slots, actually--about 1/4" wide. I'm thinking 1/8" or maybe 3/16" would work better. Anyone know of anything like this? I've gone through Amazon's listings, but none look smaller than those I've seen, and the slot width doesn't seem to be a pertinent specification in the descriptions.

I'm halfway thinking about 1/8" hardware cloth, and making my own. Hardware cloth is a steel mesh product a lot like window screen but harder and with larger holes. 1/4" is pretty common. 1/8" is used, I believe, by beekeepers. Has anyone tried that?

Any ideas will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
I wish I had ideas for you, but I've had the same problem for years. One of my kitties' pee clumps tend to break apart easily, and then I end up with a bunch of small icky litter that passes through the scoop.

The ones with the thinnest slots are the really cheap plastic ones that you can get at PetSmart or Petco. I bought one years ago that works better than others, but when I got additional litterboxes and needed more, the ones I found with the thinnest slots are really shallow, so even if they catch more of the small pieces, it's hard to keep the big clumps in them.

I've never heard of hardware cloth, but it sounds like a great idea. I'd been trying to think of kitchen utensils that could be converted but haven't come up with anything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just found something. Continuing through about page 10 of my Amazon search for "cat litter scoop", I came across a scooping colander by Joseph Joseph (maker of stylish--and practical--kitchen utensils). The very first review of the product was by someone like me looking for a better litter scoop. It was a rave review, followed by a dozen or so comments, mostly from people with the same problem. A couple commented that the holes were too small. I'll see. I've just placed an order. The large scoop is $6.99, and it qualifies for Amazon Prime, if you have it, so free 2-day shipping.

If the holes are a bit small, I can enlarge with a round file or drill. At least small holes can be enlarged. Try making a large hole smaller! I'll report back my results. Amazon says I'll have it on Tuesday. Here's a link to the scoop:

Amazon.com: Joseph Joseph Large Scoop Colander, Grey: Pasta Scoop: Kitchen & Dining

I may still get the hardware cloth for my weekly sifting. Depends on how effective this pasta scoop is with little clumps.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
If you are looking at something with such small holes, how about a kitchen sieve strainer with handle? Instead if diying, but if you can diy one with the hardware mesh to your preference, I don't see why not.

p.s. oh bowserb, I think that one would be great for op.

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
Ooh, that looks promising! It's kind of hilarious that the reviews are about using it as a litter scoop! While I was looking at it, I saw a couple of other possibilities. This one looks like it might be made out of a material similar to the hardware cloth you mentioned:

And this one has small openings, though one review says the end part is flimsy:

I might try both of them and would be happy to compare notes afterwards!

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
I use one similar to Emiline's that I got at either Petco or Petsmart. I like that it's metal and won't snap in 2 pieces when the scoop breaks. I found the amount to teeny clumps left over after scooping acceptable. I tend to thing the mesh ones would get clogged too easily.

·
Super Moderator
18,399 Posts
Litter is not going to sift through that scoop.

Try this:

Amazon.com : Litter-Lifter Kitty Litter Scoop for Cats Assorted Color : Pet Supplies

Yes, it's plastic but I've had 2 of them for like 3 years and no signs of breaking.

The Durascoop that Emiline recommended is a great scoop (that's what I was using before the Litter Lifter above) but the slots are wider.

BTW, having tons of little broken off bits means the litter doesn't clump hard enough.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I am glad someone posted this as I have been looking for a new scoop for a second litter box. I have been using an old metal slotted spatula and I like it. My litter doesn't break up in clumps much though. But if I see a little one, I just use the tip of the spatula to get it and the slots allow for dry pieces to go through. Also I don't mind if some good litter goes into the garbage bag since I don't change the litter often. I just add to the litter.

·
Super Moderator
18,399 Posts
Emiline, can you tell me how wide the slots are in this scoop? The 1/4" slots in my current--and those I've seen in the pet shops--are wide enough for small clumps to pass through.

Thanks.
Bill
As I mentioned above, they're too wide for what you're asking for. Per someone who answered the same question on Amazon about the Durascoop:

The long slots are 3/8" and the side slots are 1/4".

The Litter Lifter slots are 3/16

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, guys. I've just ordered two more scoops from Amazon. Between these two and the Joseph Joseph Scoop Colander, I think I may have one that works. Of course, I'll try the actual litter scoops before committing the Colander to litter scooping. And I'll report back here what I learn.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As I mentioned above, they're too wide for what you're asking for. Per someone who answered the same question on Amazon about the Durascoop:

The long slots are 3/8" and the side slots are 1/4".

The Litter Lifter slots are 3/16
Oops. My bad. Should have caught that. Having a hard time associating specs with specific scoops. I guess I did catch that, because the two I just ordered are the Exo Terra Stainless Steel Scooper and the Zilla Corner Litter Scoop.

Thanks.
Bill

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I've got both the DuraScoop and Litter Lifter. The DS will sure withstand the test of time, that thing is a solid piece of metal that I'm sure will last me YEARS to come. I've only had it 11 months, when I first got my two (then) kittens (ordered it from Chewy.com for around $10; I think it's on sale now).

However, the DS is heavy, especially when you've got LOTS of litter in the box to filter through...sort of like rowing a mini boat, lol. (And I'm a petite gal with small wrists!) That's why I got the LL, it's specially made with triangular tines that make sifting super easy. I always scoop my large box with it and it literally takes only a minute or two to do its job. I also measured the slots and it IS indeed 3/8 inch wide.

The irony of it all is that the LL can still miss teensy tiny bits and you won't be able to "catch" it because of all those slots. This is why I use the DS to scoop those tiny bits out, lol. If you look at the DS (find a picture of it), you'll see not all spots are slotted, like the corners especially, and that's how I like to use my DS at the end of a "scoop job". I guess you could also just use a small designated spoon for to that, though, lol. :crazy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It makes me feel a little less OCD than I did, hearing that others have similar objections to leftover bits in the litter. Both here and in Amazon reviews, I see that we Litter Sifters exist in greater numbers than the bourgeois scoop makers choose to acknowledge. I will find the right scooper and will tell the world when I do. Power to the Scoopers!

Bill
"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases,
while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
-Ayn Rand, 1963

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
Ooh, thanks for the tip doodlebug! That looks promising too, although I wish it had bars (or whatever you'd call them) running across as well. That also helps to trap litter. But those are definitely the thinnest slots.

I swear Margaux's got unclumpable pee. Celia's clumps perfectly, and within seconds, but Margaux's has never clumped like that.

catowner, me too. I'd rather scoop out clean litter than end up with icky bits in the box.

bowserb, yep, it can take me quite a bit of time to scoop out the litterboxes. I always try to get the smallest bits out with the corner of the scoop. I am convinced that having OCD (I have mild OCD - though some would say mild is not the right word) takes years off my life.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
ummm...I have never used the scoop for picking up poop, its usually used for stirring up and sifting the wood sawdust into the lower tray. Eeeek, I know, I pick up the poop with a plastic bag by hand and the bits and pieces too.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I thought I was the only person who dare do that, but no, I found someone else who does it too, on here, lol. Hubby's friend had a shock when he told her how I do it "OMG! IT CAN'T BE TRUE!". hmm? Is it that shocking? I didn't pick it with my bare hand, lol, but it sure feels warm n eeeky when its fresh, lol

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm just adding my two cents - I am using a slotted kitchen spoon from the dollar store which works perfectly for me. It is smaller than a litter scoop but works well to fish the poop and pee clumps out. (I use World's Best Cat Litter brand).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts