Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
As a long hair lover, I apply coconut oil on my hair. I purchased some virgin coconut oil for this occasion. All the time when I am applying it, Ginfis is sneaking around and trying to get to lick the coconut oil from my fingers. Coconut oil appeals to her obviously and she would like to eat it very much. Until now, I was a little bit worried to get her to lick it, but I discovered and read some useful articles about the benefits of coconut oil for the cat. I think, next time, I will let Ginfis to lick it from my fingers and we’ll see what will happen.

I read that it is beneficial for kitty’s fur and also works well against hairballs. I am looking forward to undertake this little experiment. Of course, I will not give her a lot. Only every 3 days to lick small amount from my fingers.

Does anybody give the coconut oil to the kitty as well? What are your experiences?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have never used coconut oil for anything, but Nature's Variety includes it in their new Limited Ingredient Turkey kibble and this is what they say about coconut oil:

"Coconut oil is obtained from the kernel of the coconut palm tree (Cocos nucifera). Nature's Variety uses only non-hydrogenated coconut oil. It is a good source of medium chain triglycerides such as lauric, myristic, capric, and caprylic acids. Lauric acid is a precursor to a compound called monolaurin which the body makes when fighting off pathogens. Users of coconut oil claim it has many other health benefits and also supplies fatty acids that nourish the skin from the inside out. Coconut MCT (medium chain triglycerides) are also highly digestible and easily utilized for energy. They are used in many prescription diets developed for gastrointestinal issues."

I would guess that if what you are using has no added fragrances or anything, letting your cat lick your fingers won't hurt her.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts