Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new kitten owner and I had a question about cold air that leaks through windows in the winter. I live in an apartment and it is considerably colder right by the windows in the winter months. Should I be concerned that my kitty will get too cold when he sits by the windows? It's his favorite past-time... just wanted to be sure he will be okay. Should I get window snakes to keep the air from coming in? For me it's not an issue because my rent includes my heat. Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm sure your little baby will be A-OK! He'll move if he gets too cold, but if you would like to install something just to make sure he keeps his favorite spot in the coming months, then do it!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Stopping the draughts a bit will probably reduce your heating bills a bit. My house is old and has more draughts than ideal but the cats tend to know the way to cope.

·
Registered
978 Posts
My cat survives the winter with me. I end up opening my windows a lot because I'm so hot even when it's below freezing. I am a weird person.

I'm sure your kitty will be fine.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Heating bills aren't an issue with me... it is a set fee that comes with my rent. I just wanted my little (now big) guy to be okay! He loves to hunt from the window or two!

·
Registered
351 Posts
If they are sash windows, you could attach rope caulk (window snakes?) along the seams and on top and bottom

Or buy a quality clear plastic and put it right up against the window rather than leaving a gap between the plastic and the window....Your cat might scratch it but if it is clear and tight, he may not even touch it. I use the rope caulk just to keep down the drafts. My cats leave the 3M plastic alone but then they have a piece of furniture up against the window sill and a basket on top so they sit or sleep there till they get cold.

Our late CC used to drag a sock or sometimes a piece of paper to a spot on the floor and then sit on it. that told us it might be a little too cold in the upstairs tho he could easily sit on the bed or furniture....We think he did it cause it was mealtime so he had to be in the hall to let us know he was ready for supper or breakfast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts