Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bf tells me I have cold sores. I've never really had them before this so I guess that's what they are. On the right side of my tongue, it appears to look like a mini whitehead but hurts like heck. I can't talk right now either cause of it.

On my upper lip, it looks like a massive big sore and I'm scared it'll stay like this. I got Carmex that I've been putting on the lips but how long does this last? Does it scar? Will it also just naturally go away or should I get ointment? I by no means want to go out looking like this 8O

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
I don't know about the sore on the outside of the lip.

I get canker sores quite often (especially when I used to have an impacted tooth). I put bee propolis on it and it works quite well.

·
Registered
617 Posts
i hate 'em :evil: your dr. might could give u valtrex. i also use camfophonic[sp?] and i got some steriod cream from my ob/gyn. or use abreeva ?

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
For the external cold sore, I second Kristy's recommendation of Campho-Phenique cold sore treatment ointment. It comes in 2 varieties. There is a Drying Action version for the pre-scab phase and a Scab Relief formula once a scab has already formed. I had a cold sore several years ago. They do not scar. Obviously, you do not want to pick at it. :)

EDITED:

Kim, DO NOT use any external ointment internally. What you have on your tongue sound like canker sores! You want some internal oral anesthetic such as Cank-Aid to numb the pain. Anbesol may work well for you as well.

But as far as those canker sores, they will just have to go away on their own.

·
Registered
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is Campho-Phenique over the counter?

So canker sores are inside your mouth while cold sores are outside? Am I getting it right? Just want to get it straight so I know what I'm dealing with.

Thanks for the suggestions too :wink:

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
kitkat said:
Is Campho-Phenique over the counter?
Yup. You should find it where the first aid ointments such as Neosporin are sold.

So canker sores are inside your mouth while cold sores are outside? Am I getting it right? Just want to get it straight so I know what I'm dealing with.

Thanks for the suggestions too :wink:
That is correct. Canker sores are inside the mouth.

·
Registered
454 Posts
And when you have a cold sore do not kiss anyone and prevent touching it because it is very contagious. But the canker sore is not contagious, I believe. There are a lot of OTC meds for cold sore and I don't even bother putting medication on the canker sore because they go away after a few days. I use Herpacin-L when I get a cold sore. Also go to your dr to verify that it is a cold sore because last time I thought I had a cold sore it just turned out to be nothing but dry lips.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I just posted a reply to your other thread, but I'll repeat it here. For me, Abreva works best for cold sores. I've used almost everything else over the counter, and nothing is as effective. Zylactin is great too, but that one's prescription.

·
Super Moderator
8,186 Posts
I sometimes get canker sore's when I eat too much sweets. :oops: And yes, they are inside the mouth.

How do you get a cold sore and is that the same as a fever blister?

·
Registered
5 Posts
i get those white bumps on my tongue all the time. no one ever really understands what they are. they do look like whiteheads and they do hurt a lot. i asked my doctor one time he said its a fungal infection. could be caused by anything. i brush my teeth and use mouth wash a lot and it usually clears up within a few days.

·
Registered
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
badet said:
Also go to your dr to verify that it is a cold sore because last time I thought I had a cold sore it just turned out to be nothing but dry lips.
I certainly wish it was dry lips but it isn't so.

I looked for that Campho-Phenique, couldn't find it so I got some Orajel. Says its for canker sores and cold sores, etc. It seems to kind of numb my lips a bit.

As for the tongue, I did have some whitehead looking thing there but now it's gone. It feels like it got skinned off and that exposed part is what is painful for for me now. Maybe cause it rubs by my teeth or something but I'll be putting Orajel on it after my soup. 8)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
If it's on the side of your tongue, I would say it could be an infected taste bud. Those hurt! But they do go away.

I've had to deal with canker sores my whole life. They are usually found on the inside of your mouth, located on the inside of your cheeks or lips or your gums. They can be very painful in certain areas. It is a good idea to gargle with salt water as that will help the healing process.

The best thing I've found for pain inside the mouth from canker sores and now the cuts caused by my braces is Kanka. I buy it at Dillon's which is a grocery store chain here. There are two forms: one in a bottle with an applicator and (MY favorite) a little tube with a brush that you can use to apply the medicine.

·
Registered
991 Posts
You'll need to get some ointment for them. I had a freind who had them, and they went after a few weeks. So nothing to much to worry about.

-HEYHWA

·
Registered
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't talk and I can only drink soup. Feels like I got a tongue ring but this is so much worse.... :?

I was quite upset yesterday night when my bf brought home fried chicken :!:

·
Registered
230 Posts
wow i was just about to post this topic..
I had some what of SOME kind of sore (im guessing a cold sore) on the right side of my bottom lip. Im not really sure what it is, it's kind of like a dry area that just never gets better.
I'm using Zilactin now (that i purchased at the pharmacy) and it's a Cold Sore/Fever Blister relief gel. It's been 2 day's that I've been using it and it seems to just dry it out more. With the gel on it looks horrible so I try to aviod going out when applying it :oops: .
I've also had Shingles twice, so I'm thinking it COULD be another kind of outbreak related to that.

·
Registered
991 Posts
kitkat said:
I can't talk and I can only drink soup. Feels like I got a tongue ring but this is so much worse.... :?

I was quite upset yesterday night when my bf brought home fried chicken :!:
Mmm well see a doctor. Or just ask for some medicen.

-HEYHWA

·
Super Moderator
8,186 Posts
Here we go...looked this stuff up on the internet...

Kitkat...I think you'll find this helpful...check out this site http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/canker ... 54/si=2765

Canker Sore - Small and out-of-sight, but painful, persistent and annoying. That's what canker sores, also called aphthous ulcers (aphthae), are like for people who experience them. These shallow ulcers in your mouth can make eating and talking uncomfortable. They may occur on your tongue, on your soft palate, inside your cheeks or lips, and at the base of your gums.

Canker sores differ from cold sores in that they occur in the soft tissues of your mouth and aren't contagious. Conversely, cold sores rarely develop in the soft tissues of your mouth and are extremely contagious because they're caused by the herpes virus.

Canker sores are common, but the cause in many cases is unknown. Canker sores can occur at any age, but often first appear when you are between 10 and 40 years of age.

Often, treatment isn't necessary. Pain often decreases after several days, and canker sores usually heal within one to three weeks. Occasionally, severe canker sores can develop that are larger than 1 centimeter in diameter or last longer than two weeks or both.

Causes
The cause of most canker sores remains a mystery.

Researchers generally believe that stress or tissue injury may cause the eruption of canker sores. A minor injury, such as biting the inside of your mouth, may trigger a canker sore. Other causes may include:

Faulty immune system function
Nutritional problems such as a deficiency of vitamin B-12, zinc, folic acid or iron
A disease of the gastrointestinal tract
Food allergies
Menstrual periods
Though anyone can get cankers sores, they tend to run in families and may be an inheritable condition.

And this site talks about cold sores:
http://mayoclinic.com/health/cold-sore/DS00358

Cold Sore - The scenario is all too familiar: You feel a tingling on your lip and a small, hard spot that you can't yet see. Sure enough, in a day or two, red blisters appear on your lip. It's another cold sore, probably happening at a bad time, and there's no way to hide it or make it go away quickly.

Cold sores — also called fever blisters — are quite different from canker sores, a condition people sometimes associate them with. Cold sores are caused by the herpes simplex virus, and they're contagious. Canker sores, which aren't contagious, are ulcers that occur in the soft tissues inside your mouth, places where cold sores don't occur.

Cold sores are common. But though you can't cure or prevent cold sores, you can take steps to reduce their frequency and to limit the duration of an occurrence.

Causes
Certain strains of the herpes virus cause cold sores. Herpes simplex virus type 1 usually causes cold sores. Herpes simplex virus type 2 is usually responsible for genital herpes. However, either type of the virus can cause sores in the facial area or on the genitals. You get cold sores from another person who has an active lesion. Shared eating utensils, razors and towels may spread this infection.

Once you've had an episode of cold sores, the virus lies dormant in the nerve cells in your skin and may emerge again as an active infection on or near the original site. You may experience an itch or heightened sensitivity at the site preceding each attack. Fever, menstruation, stress and exposure to the sun may trigger a recurrence.

Hope that helps. Those two sites show pics of a canker sore and a cold sore as well.

[/quote]

·
Registered
991 Posts
Hey thanks for posting that infomation I never knew what a Canker Sore was untill you said. Thanks!

-HEYHWA

1 - 20 of 21 Posts