Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
*sigh*
I bought a collar for Special-K today. It is a snap-type-release breakaway, has a jingle-bell and I *loved* being able to hear where she was in the house as she played around.
Please note the past tense.

She managed to get her lower jaw hooked under it.

I adjusted it as small as it will go and added a couple wraps of coflex vetwrap to try to take up some more room and help the fit be more snug.

She got her jaw hooked under it again so I've removed it.

I ordered a beeper/flash-locator that needs to be attached to a collar. I will try to find a smaller collar, or use a harness .... I dislike harnesses worn for long periods of time .... but if that is what it takes to keep her safe and locate-able, I'll do it until she grows enough that this collar safely fits.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I had the darndest time finding a collar that fit Ninja's scrawney neck until he was a good 5 month-6 months old. Pencil neck ninja I called him.

Anyway, if you are crafty, you could try making one. A bit of ribbon or felt fastened with velcro might do until you can get a proper collar on her. The thing about the quick release collars is they are supposed to release with 5 pounds of pressure. I don't think Special K could exert 5 pounds of pressure on a collar with a running start and a week of steroids.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had the darndest time finding a collar that fit Ninja's scrawney neck until he was a good 5 month-6 months old.
I had the same issue with Lexi. Is the collar "kitten-sized", or just a regular cat collar? They sell smaller ones for kittens... then once she grows out of it, you can switch her to the other one.

Petmate Breakaway Collars for Kittens & Small Cats - Collars, Tags & Leashes - Cat - PetSmart
Lexi has this one in pink, she just doesn't wear it anymore.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I FIXED IT MYSELF!

It was about 3am and I grabbed my fabric-tape to measure S-K's neck circumference and the collar to take a look at its' construction. I determined I could cut off 1.25" and re-sew the cut collar-end to the clippy-end, shortening it enough to fit her NOW. It will still adjust as she grows and may still fit her as an adult. If not, I'll simply purchase a new one if/when she outgrows this one.

I have this collar adjusted fairly snug, I can just barely fit a finger under. I'll be checking the fit daily to make sure I keep ahead of adjusting it larger for growth.
It is a break-away collar from AspenPet with a Cat Fancier's Association seal of approval.
The connector is hard to describe (image below) one side has a rounded piece of molded plastic and the other side is molded plastic in the shape of an open frogs' mouth, or like a venus fly-trap, and it 'snaps' over the other rounded end. Pressure separates the two.

You know what I just realized? I haven't had a kitten of MY OWN since we took in Shasta almost 10yrs ago!

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! Currently, only BooBoo and Pretty are regularly objecting to her presence and Shadow gives a quiet hiss if she is surprised by Special-K. Boo grumbles and cries while Pretty hisses, but it is more of an afterthought kind of hissing. I think it will be less than a week before everyone still objecting decides it isn't worth the trouble to keep on hissing and complaining and just accepts her as part of the scenery.

After everyone stops their complaining, then S-K can have the run of the house, 24/7. Especially since I caught her entering, using and exiting the LitterChest flap all on her own. What a GOOD kitteh!
I also loosened her collar a bit. It seemed like she was scratching a good bit at it so she may have felt it was too snug. Now I can easily fit a finger under it but it isn't loose enough for her jaw to get trapped ... but I'll still be closely monitoring her and her collar.

OH BOY!
I was about to share that she is *obsessed* with the lazer pointer when she spotted the moving graphics in Auntie's reply and she leapt onto the desk to 'catch' them! I forsee a LOT of lifting her off the desk and away from blocking my monitor.
Her feet are all over it, right now!
Okay, posting before she09fjns78uyi ....!!!.... Too late! She got on the keyboard!

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
We have breakaway collars that have the same shape as yours does. The only problem we found was that they quickly learned how to get them off, because they snap off with a lot less pressure than the other breakaways we have had. We can't even keep them on them anymore!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I had the same prob when I bought a collar and tried to fit it on Miu when she was a kitten. However, I have since changed my mind. She comes when called and I figure the sound of the bell would be annoying to her ears so it's just sitting in the cupboard right now.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the jingle-ing annoyed the french fries outta me, but I also noticed when I had to take it off after only 45min ... I had *already* begun to count on the jingles to tell me where she was. She's deaf, so she can't hear the jingles and I figure the housecats and I can just get used to the jingles.
*I* like knowing where she is ... and I noticed this morning that some of the Big Cats use the jingle as an early-warning-system and will get out of her way/reach so she doesn't try to play with them if they don't feel like playing.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
A colllar with a beeper locater. I'm so behind the times on technology.
I've heard those. Lots of hunters I know have those. The beep stays consistent and then speeds up and turns to a tone as the dog stops when it goes on point after it scents game. I would NOT recommend that for a home environment though :p.

Heidi, did you say you were looking for something to get her attention when you wanted her? I ran across a lazer pointer a few days ago @ walmart that had different shaped lights. I didn't buy it because the lighted shape was HUGE and I don't think Mow would be interested in a star/mouse/butterfly the size of my SHOE but something like that might work for Special-K. Could she learn that when it lights up she gets treats and will look around to see where you are?

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A colllar with a beeper locater. I'm so behind the times on technology.
The KeyRinger I ordered arrived today! They are a little big, so I'll have to wait until she grows a bit more before I could hang it from her collar. I'll also have to think of a way to keep it from dangling so she can't dip it into the water bowl and ruin it.
Husband saw them and asked if we could get another pair for his key-ring and coffee mug.
I laughed: Hahahah! ....but I think he *might* have been serious. 8-O

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, she knows and LOVES the lazer pointer! She becomes so obsessively fixated on the red-dot that I doubt I'd ever be able to teach her to look for or come to me ... not when there is a red-dot to chase and capture!
I'm still keeping an eye out for a small vibrating/buzzer sort of thing.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
LOL Yup, I was just gonna say that you could have her chase the red dot to your feet.

I tried using that tactic to get Nebbie in a carrier. Worked... once. Now she knows to be more aware of her environment when chasing it.. if it goes anywhere near the carrier (which I have out all the time anyway), she suddenly loses interest.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think I would prefer something that vibrates to let her know I want her attention. My hand signals and the red-dot will only work if she *sees* them. I'd like something to use for when she is looking away, in a different room or asleep, so I can get her attention the way I do with vocally calling to our other cats.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
The KeyRinger I ordered arrived today! They are a little big, so I'll have to wait until she grows a bit more before I could hang it from her collar. I'll also have to think of a way to keep it from dangling so she can't dip it into the water bowl and ruin it.
Husband saw them and asked if we could get another pair for his key-ring and coffee mug.
I laughed: Hahahah! ....but I think he *might* have been serious. 8-O

I never lose my keys but I could use one my cell phone. When it's off or the batteries are dead I can't find it by calling the number.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I never lose my keys but I could use one my cell phone. When it's off or the batteries are dead I can't find it by calling the number.
The owner of this company called me and in speaking w/ him, he told me their #1 use was for keys and cell phones.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts