Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want some way of putting ID tags on my kitten. I tried out a collar on her before, a small pink safety clip collar, but no matter what she always found a way to rip it off or get it stuck uncomfortably around her face in some way.

I plan on getting her microchipped the next time I take her to the vet, but I'd really like to have ID tags on her for if she ever manages to slip outside. I know no one in this area would bother taking her anywhere to get a microchip scanned, they'd probably just swipe her assuming she's a stray or something.

I was thinking of trying a harness instead of a collar, but I'm not sure if that would just be too uncomfortable for her to wear a lot?

What would you recommend?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Indoor only, or indoor/outdoor?

Either way, I would not leave a cat unsupervised with a harness on. I say that because I have had enough experience with break away collars doing their job and breaking away when needed to know that a cats are often going to put themselves in a position where something on them will get caught. A harness will be very difficult to free themselves from if they are in a desperate position.

My cats wear break away collars with ID tags, for the very reasons you mentioned. Specifically my indoor boys. If for any reason they were to get out and leave the yard I want anyone who sees them to know that they are someones pet, well cared for, likely lost, and likely vaccinated. A chip provides some added comfort if they somehow end up in a shelter, but IMO the percentage of that happening is too low to count on.

I cannot keep a collar on Alice, our outdoor only cat. She loses them within days.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Please ONLY breakaway collars. I microchip my cats immediately. If your cat hasn't been spayed vets freq do it at that time. If your worried someone won't check to see if there's a chip you could get an obvious ear tattoo as well, to show better he's not a stray. GL B

·
Registered
245 Posts
Breakaway collars are great, but when I brought in my second cat she got herself into a bad situation with her breakaway collar, and it didn't break. She managed to get her lower jaw under the collar, and couldn't get it back out again. This happened in the middle of the night and luckily she came to get me to help her. I'll tell you this, the worst sound in the world is waking up to is you cat gasping and choking like Moxie was. I thought she was dying :-? Thankfully I was able to cut the collar off with a pair of scissors, but I no longer trust the breakaway collars to actually break when you need them to.

My cats both still wear breakaway collars, but I leave the collars very loose. I don't trust them to breakaway so I want to make sure they just slide right off if either of my cats ever get into trouble. Plus I feel like my cats find the looser collars more comfortable - they could both easily get them off if they wanted to, but since the collars don't bother them they just leave them alone. Just wanted to mention this because it's what worked for me.

·
Banned
603 Posts
Mia wore a collar until she was seven months old. Thats when she learned how to get out of them. She doesnt wear one now but she is an indoor cat. She is also microchipped . She would also have to get through my door, down a flight of stairs and through another door to get out. Thank goodness!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I don't see the need of a collar if the cat is microchipped already. If the cat runs away, the collar will be lost/broken within a day or two. So it won't help getting him home. Microchip is good enough. Collars do more dangers than good.

The only use of a collar, that I can think of, is if the cat is indoor/outdoor, then neighbours will know this cat has a owner.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I don't mean to sound flippant, but it is a good idea to test the collars forgiveness before putting it on the cat.

I contently test the boys collars for how easy they will break away.

Some people see a stray cat as a pest. Some of those people also dislike cats and might act aggressively toward one. For me, a collar is somewhat of a warning sign to those people. Don't hurt my cat, he may need help, call me before taking him to the pound or trying to take care of him/her yourself.

If I see a stray animal with a collar my first impression is different. That's my take.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got my Luna an ID tag when I found her nearly acres off my land. I didn't want anyone to take her in. I actually just put her collar on her and she is flipping out. literally. she keeps shaking her head trying to get it off. I think it's more or less the sound that is bugging her. But I'm hoping she gets use to wearing it..

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Some people see a stray cat as a pest. Some of those people also dislike cats and might act aggressively toward one. For me, a collar is somewhat of a warning sign to those people. Don't hurt my cat, he may need help, call me before taking him to the pound or trying to take care of him/her yourself.

If I see a stray animal with a collar my first impression is different. That's my take.
Well, I see it from a different POV. If you have a outdoor cat, I agree putting collar on is a good idea, because ppl know its not a stray and the "impression" might be different.

But if you have an indoor cat with collar that got lost, when ppl see it on the street, they might think it's just another indoor/outdoor cat. So likely you won't get a call and nobody would bother taking care of it, because ppl don't know it's lost.

I would rather someone call animal control and have my cats send to shelter. At least here in Toronto shelters check microchip on all strays they take in. It's much better chance to get my cats back this way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts