Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so when I adopted Kieran he was totally black. Also a kitten. So I figured Id see some changes. Here recently his coat is filling in a lot more ( finally catching up with his crazy fluffy tail)....and turning grey. Whaaaaa? His belly and underside all the way up to neck and behind the ears are silver now. Does this normally happen? Ive never had a kitten that I raised from so small like this so I have no idea. Its obviously not a problem ( unless it is a sign of something bad, in which case it is...and Ill be scheduling a vet visit. ) just kinda strange :p

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think this is pretty common. When Felix was a kitten he was all black. The vet said he was a brown tabby, which I thought was a bit strange at the time. It was really cool to watch his stripes come in - they started by his tummy and grew up his sides as his adult coat came in. And, sure enough, he also got some brown in his coat!

Can we see a picture? He sounds stunning!

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
When you separate the coat or blow on it, is there a band of white hairs at the skin? If so, he could be a black smoke, rather than a brown tabby. Black smoke kittens do have "shadow" tabby markings, that disappear when the adult coat comes in.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is no white band. It actually looks like the fever coat thing, just on his belly. Which would make sense since I had to put off adopting him for a good three weeks because he got really sick at the shelter. Apparently he was so bad it caused a large ulcer in his upper palate. Ill have to take lots of pictures before it goes away. Its really pretty, kinda wish it would stay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts