Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am lazy and barely cook for myself, so preparing my cats' food is out of the question. So I am considering commercial raw. I was thinking about a rotation of Rad Cat and Feline's Pride. What is your experience with these?

Right now, the cats are on 100% canned Friskies because it was all we could afford. But the stink of it all is getting to be more than we can bear. So I am mixing their Friskies with grain-free until they get used to the grain-free (already a marked improvement in the smell of the litter box)...then it is on to mixing raw with their canned until they are used to the raw.

I know my two older cats (11 and 13) are not going to be interested in raw (we've tried it before), so I am sure a battle of the wills is up ahead. The 6-month-old kitten has had and loved raw in the past, so hopefully she will remember and be an easy convert.

·
Super Moderator
18,400 Posts
Kobi loves RadCat. He's eaten other brands but wasn't thrilled, that all changed with RadCat. I think it's the texture...ooey, bloody mush instead if kinda dry formed patties (which I would mush up). No experience with Feline's Pride but I believe it has rather limited distribution...I believe that Resellers buy a territory, so there's only one person in an area and it may not be a retail store...they could be selling it from their house.

Have you priced this out? I don't know if this is realistic for you. A 1 lb tub of RadCat goes for about $10. At 2.5% of body weight for 10 lb cat, one tub would last 4 days. Feline's Pride looks less expensive on the website, but the shipping costs really drive it up. Not sure what you'd pay to a local rep.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cost is a concern. I have priced Feline's Pride but still need to check out RadCat at my local supplier.

Storage is also a concern if we go with Feline's Pride because we would have to order it in bulk. I am not so sure our freezer has room.

We are also considering going 50/50 with raw and grain free canned. Just exploring all the options.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I don't know if you can buy pre-made raw for less than canned. Generally the only way you will be able to swing that is through working with a local butcher that could grind up something for you. Definitely price it out though. It is much cheaper for me to feed home-made vs canned, but most pre-made stuff I have seen costs the same or more as a grain free canned food.

As for freezer space, prepare to not have any. I currently have two 5 lb dogs and a cat on raw, and a one months supply of food takes up more than half of our freezer space. Figure that with 3 cats you will probably be feeding between 12oz to 1 lb per day (if raw only). That is 30 lbs of meat in your freezer that may or may not be separated into daily serving sizes. I only live with my boyfriend, but if we were to ever get a roommate we would need a separate chest freezer. There is literally no room in the freezer at the beginning of the month.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I don't know if you can buy pre-made raw for less than canned. Generally the only way you will be able to swing that is through working with a local butcher that could grind up something for you. Definitely price it out though. It is much cheaper for me to feed home-made vs canned, but most pre-made stuff I have seen costs the same or more as a grain free canned food.

As for freezer space, prepare to not have any. I currently have two 5 lb dogs and a cat on raw, and a one months supply of food takes up more than half of our freezer space. Figure that with 3 cats you will probably be feeding between 12oz to 1 lb per day (if raw only). That is 30 lbs of meat in your freezer that may or may not be separated into daily serving sizes. I only live with my boyfriend, but if we were to ever get a roommate we would need a separate chest freezer. There is literally no room in the freezer at the beginning of the month.

Try finding freezer space when you're feeding a Great Dane, two Labradors, a mini poodle and two cats! That was almost 9lbs of raw a day.
Now I'm just feeding two adult cats and one ravenous kitten raw and going through about a pound and a bit most days. We carry a local raw company at work that does 5lb chubs for $15-18, so it would cost me around $3 a day if I had to pay full price. That's about half of what I'd be paying for two 13oz cans a day.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't specifically have experience with those brands but I do feed mine Natures Variety raw and love it. I definitely think raw is cheaper than canned food. I buy a bag for $35-$40ish and it lasts me a whole month. They eat less on raw food than they do kibble or canned food.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts