Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I have a two year old male domestic short hair named Shadow. We recently moved from an apartment where there was someone home almost all of the time to a two bedroom condominium by ourselves. Shadow has always been an indoor cat due to the proximity of car traffic and this is still the case at our new home. I'm away at work for 9 to 10 hours a day during the week and I'm worried about leaving him home alone.

My question is should I get a second cat as a companion?

Some people have said that cats are solitary by nature and he would prefer to have the place to himself. Other people have told me he won't like being alone and I should definitely get a second cat.

I've asked Shadow but he has yet to give me a legible answer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS The only behavior change I have seen is that he seems to be a lot more affectionate when I come home at night.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
In my opinion, I think it really just depends on your cat. Many cats are sociable with others and enjoy spending time playing and sleeping with them.

My cat, on the other hand, is a 5 y/o female who prefers to be alone. She does not like other cats. She enjoys being left alone and having her own space.

We are gone long days, also. She's always there to greet us when we come home, and late at night is when she wants to cuddle.

I think it is really your decision. Your kitty will be just fine if you do not decide to get a companion. He will probably sleep most of the day while you are gone. It will just take some adjustment time, for the both of you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks for the quick response mismodliz. My girfriend brought her 5yr old female, Mocha, up to my old apartment a few times and although they were frightened at first it didn't take long before they were touching noses and following each other around. On the other hand the only time I brought Shadow to her house, her room mates two male cats both started hissing and getting very territorial. There was actually blood splattered on the wall when we woke the next morning (we couldn't find any wounds but that was the last time I brought him there!).

When I go to the local shelter I want to take all the cats home with me but I believe owning a pet is a big responsability and I just took on my first mortgage so I'm not reallly looking for more responsability.

My primary concern is Shadows welfare and it sounds like you believe he will be OK being alone during the day.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I also think he would be ok, but if he's good with other cats (and it sounds like he is) I see no harm in getting him a playmate. You could check on petfinder and find cats that are good with other cats. If Sabby tolerated other animals, I would've gotten another cat a long time ago. It's so nice to see them playing and sleeping next to each other.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thank you Annissa.

I would have gotten another cat right away if the consensus was that Shadow shouldn't be left alone. For now I think Shadow will be the sole king of the castle. I may still get another cat once we are settled in to our new place.

Thanks again.

Robert

·
Registered
656 Posts
I vote for yes, get him a freind. In my experience it will make him happy to have someone to play with and keep him company while you are working.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts