Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently rescued two 4 week old kittens! i have fallin in love with them and now i am completly crushed that i need to give them away ;[. i took them to the vet yesterday and they are healthy little guys! my vet said she would look on her list of people looking to adopt babies and this morning a gentleman left me a voice mail saying he was intrested.... but allready had 4 so he only wanted one... and asked if he could come by and see them.. im having a hard time ever calling him back! lol. i love these little guys and want them to live happy lives and i know i cant keep the because i already have 2 amazing cats in my 800 sf apartment ;[

advice please ;[
:eek:rcat

·
Registered
24 Posts
Getting attached is so easy, especially if you nurtured them. But I guessed from your post that you already know what's best for them.

·
Super Moderator
26,657 Posts
..i know i cant keep the because i already have 2 amazing cats in my 800 sf apartment
If that's your only reason, keep them. Lots of us here have several cats in smaller spaces than that. I had four cats in a smaller place.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Can you afford to keep them? Or are you contractually obligated to give them up; like fostering for the ASPCA? Either way, they should not be going to a new home until they are ten or twelve weeks old. The practice of placing kittens in new homes as soon as they are weaned is unfair to the cat. They need their mother's guidance in socialization and how to be a cat until they are at least ten weeks old.

·
Super Moderator
26,657 Posts
Many rescues place motherless kittens at about 8 weeks old (or as soon as they're fixed). There are always more tiny kittens waiting for foster homes, so turnover is pretty high. I got my bratz at about 9 weeks old from their foster mom through a rescue.

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
When you foster you give your heart and soul to the kittens and cats. Yes it’s a very happy/sad day when they go to their new home.

I’ve fostered over 100 and managed not to keep any of them. Was I sorely tempted? YES.

I adopted a wonderful Torti bobtail cat from a rescue. Tess was the most social, loving, and affectionate (with people) cat. We had a real connection. I always credit the foster family which had her for a year, while she was waiting for me to show up to bring her home.

What you’ve done is given the new families a gift. A healthy, loved on, socialized kitten that is off to a good start. That is the way I look at it when the angst sets in, when a cat is going to its new home.

Also interview the caller. Do these cats need to be indoor only? Does he plan on declawing the kitten? Ask pertinent questions. He may not be the type of home you approve of. It’s not a done deal yet! Make sure he is a good home. Never be afraid to turn someone down.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I always credit the foster family which had her for a year, while she was waiting for me to show up to bring her home.

*VERY* much this. Book may be a pita but his foster family did an AMAZING job socializing and teaching him how to interact with people. There isn't a shy bone in his entire little body(except with cars). He's always been so careful when he play fights with me. He lets me handle him in anyway that I've asked so far. He never even fought very hard having his nails done.

It's such an important job fosters do, to prepare cats/kittens for their new homes. I can imagine it would be so easy to fall in love and so hard to say goodbye. Are you sure you can't keep them? I'm sorry you are having such a hard time. It must be heartbreaking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts