Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted a daring baby girl from a shelter (who I have adopted 3 other cats from) on 6/2/12. A sweet bouncy kitty girl named Emmy took over my house. Then last Wednesday ( I was out of town and Gma was watching her, the original kitty lover in my life) she started sleeping more, becoming more lethargic. When I got home Friday evening, I was concerned. She was still eating some/drinking but not energy or interest in play. I got her to my vet Saturday. She had a temp of 104. She did a fecal, it was negative. She then put her on antibotics. Emmy had her 2nd booster shot the day I adopted her so she knew some cats can react even a week later. She is less feverish, continues to eat/drink/poop but not a bouncy zesty kitty girl. I have read too much on line about FIP. She has had the fever, lethargic and I stare at her growing Pot belly. (I have been feeding her about every 3 hours for 4 days..hmmm) I have a followup Friday am for Emmy at the vet. My vet did mention we could do a FIP test but they can be unconclusive, but since it does not seem bacterial (she still has 6 more days of antibotics) I feel something Viral and not good. (side bar: Lost my darling 3+ calico Lillie just last month to a undected heart issue turned into congestive heart failure. It was shocking and awful) And now this concern over Emmy. So seeking information, insight .....Prior to my Calico Lillie, my others cats lived nice long pretty stress free lives till Old Kitty age took them to Heaven. Appreciate ya'll

·
Banned
603 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear Emmy is sick. If I were you I would call the vet now and take her in instead of waiting until Friday. Ask for a cbc bllod test to see if there is anything wrong. It covers a variety of things to look for. I sure hope she is better soon. Keep us updated please!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sadly it was FIP for my sweet Emmy. I had to make the sad responsible pet owner decision today. She declined quickly and was starting to show some neurological symptoms. My vet was very compassionate and cried with me. Emmy was darling and I loved her from day one. She will be remembered fondly. I wish there was testing for FIP, I wish their was medication that stopped it. She had a very short life but the last few weeks she was well loved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts