Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in what you think about Murphy's latest problems, which are a lot of sneezing and diarrhea. Don't worry, I'm not substituting your thoughts for vet care. We have to go back for a follow-up on his dental work anyway, so I'll ask about this stuff when we go.

Here's the chronology of events:

Friday, June 24: Murphy has bloodwork done in advance of his dental procedure. The results are normal.

Thursday, June 30: Dental procedure done under anesthesia. They ended up having to remove two teeth because of lesions, but left the root in both cases because it had become attached to his jawbone. They said this procedure is easier and less painful than removing the root. They gave him a painkiller that lasts up to 8 hours and we got a 1-week prescription for Clindamycin, an antibiotic, in pill form.

Friday, July 1: He was still sluggish all day, sleeping under my bed for 8 hours. In an effort to get him to eat his canned food with the mashed-up antibiotic in it, I gave him the fish food I know he loves. (He couldn't have dry food at that point.)

Saturday, July 2: Back to himself, continues to eat both fish and chicken-flavored wet food.

Sunday, July 3: Still himself, but Sunday night starts sneezing often, like in fits of 4-5 sneezes at a time. The fits are roughly 20 minutes apart or so. He also starts having loose stool.

Monday, July 4: Diarrhea continues, sneezing continues.

Tuesday, July 5 (this morning): Sneezing is decreasing, and is now more like little snorts instead of full-blown sneezes. Diarrhea continues.

SO! After some Internet research I'm thinking that he may be allergic to the fish food (which I've stopped as of Sunday night), which was causing the sneezing, and the loose stools are a side effect of the antibiotic. I don't think it's a URI because he doesn't have a runny nose or eyes. He's got to continue with the antibiotic, but as I said, I've stopped the fish food. Fortunately, he does eat his chicken canned food with the mashed up pill in it, and he's also now back on his dry food as a snack. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Sounds like a pretty insightful response on your part, to me. As you know, if he hadn't eaten the fish food much before, that change in diet could cause some diarrhea, and mild allergic reaction the sneezing. It also could be a partial reaction to the stress of the procedure, anesthesia and aftermath of residual pain, plus the antibiotics, all of which could get him a bit out of sorts, even in a delayed reaction. You say you don't think it's a URI, and it may not be, but his immune system could be down a bit due to the stress of the procedure. My Little Hersh would periodically sneeze most of his first year with me, and he never came down with a URI, though he would get little eye crusts sometimes. I found supplementing with about 500 mgs of L-Lysine once a day boosts his immune system and both stops the sneezing and makes the crusts go away, so I am a great believer in Lysine--capsules, the kind you can pull apart so the powder dissolves into his canned food. Lysine is the only other thing that occurred to me.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Well, the diarrhea could be caused by the antibiotic. Could the sneezing be coincidence and seasonal allergies?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Thanks, NRD. Where do you get the Lysine? Did your kitties eat their food well with it in it?
Vitamin Shoppe. House brand, comes in 500 mg capsules, often there's a "buy one, 50 percent off second" going on. There's one on Rockville Pike, just north of Rollins Avenue, about a mile from White Flint.

My Fab Four have never shown the slightest hesitation about eating their food with the Lysine in it. I add water to their wet food each meal, to make sure they drink enough. I start with a little pool of water in their food dishes, and I add the Lysine to that--it dissolves instantly, with a little stirring. Then I add the wet food. The flavor of the wet food overpowers whatever taste they might sense from the Lysine. And I don't give them Lysine every day. Once I give it regularly for a week or two, I cut back and only give it every two or three days, or if I see crusts appear on Little Hersh, so more like a maintenance mode. I even stopped giving it to Hersh and Blizzy after a while, as they don't seem to need it, but will resume at any sign of crusties or illness.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahhh, that makes it something like Federal Plaza? :) What's it near?

So you're talking about human Lysine. I wonder what the cat people are saying about Lysine for cats?

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the diarrhea could be caused by the antibiotic. Could the sneezing be coincidence and seasonal allergies?
When I looked up sneezing, they said sneezing is from either an allergy or trying to cough up something that got stuck in their throat or nose. So if it's an allergy, I'm willing to bet it's the fish. I knew it was somewhat of a risk to give him the fish food, but I knew he loved it and wanted to make sure he'd get the antibiotics smashed up in it. :-(

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ahhh, that makes it something like Federal Plaza? :) What's it near?

So you're talking about human Lysine. I wonder what the cat people are saying about Lysine for cats?
On the left-hand side going north on the Pike, you have the light to Federal Plaza, then a Shell gas station on the corner, then the intersection and light for Rollins Ave. Vitamin Shoppe is just beyond that intersection, on the left, just beyond some retail construction on the corner.

I actually got the original idea for Lysine from reading cat articles on the Web. There are also a couple of members here I consider experts who advocate Lysine use.

·
Registered
709 Posts
What a good mom Murphy has!

Ontop of NRD suggestion of LLysine, I would suggest some Slippery Elm (can also be bought at any health food store - it's for people but cats/dogs use it as well). It helps to soothe and coat the digestive lining when you've got the runs. I bet Murhpy would benefit from that, as well.

·
Super Moderator
26,804 Posts
The Lysine people give their cats is people L-Lysine, Holly. You should find it at any health store or pharmacy.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
RE: The sneezing, were the teeth they removed on the upper or lower jaw and what teeth were they? If they were upper teeth, there is a possibility his sinus cavity could have been compromised during the surgery.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rachael, it was one upper, one lower, and on opposite sides of his mouth.

He's still sneezing today, but not nearly as much. I'm inclined to think we should give it another day or two and see if it goes away altogether, because it does seem headed in that direction. I bought him some new toys and treats to try to pamper him after all this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts