Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have recently started working at a local Animal Rescue as the Cattery manager :cool: WOW what a fabulous job I absolutely love it & get up 3 hour's before I need to leave in the morning lol

I am concerned about 2 of the kitten's, they are both approx 10-12 week's old & not related

there is always runny poop in the litter boxes & it is difficult to know who it is coming from so I check all the kitty's bottom's to try to get an idea, so 2 week's ago I noticed the lil tortie girl had a very swollen anus & vagina & looked to have some sort of discharge in the surrounding fur, so I isolated her cleaned her up & told the owner that I thought the lil girl needed to go to the vet

rather than a vet visit I was told to give her half a tablet of antibiotics for one week which I did & she seemed to improve somewhat & the swelling went down, but she is passing very soft poop throughout the day that sometimes look's undigested & contain's some blood & her bottom is looking sore again, she is eating well but is very thin

then yesterday I picked up the lil black kitten & was so sad to find his anus red raw & the base of his tail looked as if the fur had been "burned" away, I found his poop in the box which was very runny & contained his fur, mucous & a lil blood, poor baby

so I isolated him, cleaned him up & informed my boss.

they have both been wormed since coming into the Rescue & I have not seen any worms in their poop

I am powerless over taking them to the vet although I strongly think that they should be taken ASAP, but is there anything I could do to try to help these babies?? anything I can add to their food?

I gave them both Prokolin yesterday & am hoping this will help

thank you in advance x

·
Registered
978 Posts
I'm not sure where you live but there is a good chance there is a law requiring that the kittens get veterinary care. You may wish to look into it. I know here your license can and will be revoked if you have ill animals and you don't get a licensed veterinarian to care for them. Operators can also be charged with neglect.

You might try adding some pumpkin to firm up their poop but I don't know if that such a good idea. There is an underlying problem that needs to be diagnosed and resolved.

·
Registered
804 Posts
You can give them canned food and add water to it to help rehydrate them. You can also put some probiotics mixed into the food. The redness and hair loss in the anal area is from "scalding." Basically, the diarrhea has irritated and burned all the hair off. It will grow back, though! My kitten Bear ended up "bare" (pun kinda intended) but now has grow back tail fur, butt fur and pantaloons. He also had a swollen, red, and sometime bleeding anus. This is going to sound weird, but I put Carmex medicated lip ointment on his anus and it seemed to help soothe it (it's an analgesic); I can't guarantee that I'm right or that it's safe but it helped Bear and did not seem to harm him. He ended up having coccidia and roundworms, but he also has tritrichomonas foetus (another protozoan parasite); I'm thinking perhaps the kittens you're wondering about may also have; it often does not show up on fecal smears and causes intermittent runny diarrhea (sometimes greasy, mucousy, or bloody) with a really foul odor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts