Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! My name is Erica. I'm 27 and live in St. Louis Missouri.

Growing up, I was CRAZY ALLERGIC to cats. I could tell if a cat lived in a house within minutes of entering it based on how quickly my allergies would act up. As a result, I despised them. They ruined perfectly good play dates with friends if I wasn't properly medicated.

Fast forward to 8 months ago. I really wanted a dog but live in a small apartment. My boyfriend LOVES cats and I thought I would make the ultimate sacrifice, get a cat, and it could be his. If it meant a lifetime of pills, oh well?

So we get a cat from a friend who had to get rid of hers and within days I was in love. So much so that 7 months later, just a few weeks ago, I got a small calico kitten. So now I've got two cats and they are SO AWESOME. I hate myself for not getting a cat sooner in life!

The best part is that within about a month of getting Digman (cat #1), my allergies COMPLETELY subsided. It's the best. My allergies still act up around friends' cats, but not nearly as much as they used to. I don't know if it's growing up, or more exposure to cats or what, but it's a huge relief.

So yes, I love cats now! I look forward to getting to know you!

xo,
Erica

·
Registered
63 Posts
That is very interesting.
Please don't hate an animal because they give you allergies.
Glad you now love cats.
Your post is interesting. I am sure some people might not believe you, but I do. My dad was very allergic to one of my cats but not affected by the other one. So yes, it is very strange.
I also have cats. When one cat died I went to a cat rescue place to chose another one and my hands all swelled up and my eyes were puffy and red so I also have an allergy of sorts. I was incredibly stressed at the time as well and I think that can bring out allergies
No matter what happens though, life without cats is no life at all IMHO

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Welcome! Allergies often change, for the worse or the better, as people get older or as they have more exposure to something. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your two little ones and you no longer suffer reactions when you're around them.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Welcome! Your story is pretty similar to my own actually. I grew up with a fairly cranky rescued stray so I was always nervous around cats. And after she passed away I developed seriously bad allergies, so I assumed I'd never owned one.

But like with your situation, my boyfriend liked the idea of getting one and I wanted to give it a shot. Now I am hooked! And my allergies subsided as well!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Welcome! Kitties have a canny ability to convert non-cat people to the "Dark Side" with just a swipe of the paw and flick of the tail. Glad you're here, and may the "Furce" be with you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts