Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

My name is Lilac_rose and my cat is Luna. She a black DSH, about two years old, and I've had her for a little over three months now.

A little background: I'm a "cat person", I grew up with cats and always planned on getting one of my own when I moved out. I waited though, until I was done school and had a job and my own place. I was raised that a pet is for life and wanted to be sure I could honor that commitment! I know the economy sucks but when I got a cat I knew we would become a package deal, and the cat would eat before I did. (Also, kudos to any student cat-parents!! I'm just saying my life was just too chaotic with roommates, jobs, moving, etc.) So finally this spring I decided it was time. Enter Luna :)

All I wanted in a cat were two things: adult and rescue. (adult because I think they're harder to place??) I wasn't picky, though somehow in the back of my mind I'd envisioned a black female. I walked by a row of cages at the shelter, saw Luna almost immediately...it was almost like she'd been waiting for me, it was crazy. And after 3 months, I can't imagine life without her!

So why am I here (besides sharing)? I wouldn't trade Luna for the world, but she exhibits some behaviors that I find rather baffling and I would LOVE some advice from other cat-lovers. I'm a cat-person, I've come to expect a range of personalities from cats, and I think I've seen some unusual cat behavior, but I've never known a cat quite like Luna! I'm not sure why she does some of the things that she does and I'm not sure the best way to respond to them. I'd just like to hear from other people.

I will have to tell you a bit more about Luna too, her background and her behaviors, but I wonder if this message is too long already? Maybe I'll reply to this one to add more, but if someone wants to move it to the cat behavior forum, feel free!

LOL, it sounds so cliche, "I never thought I'd be writing to strangers on the Internet for advice about cats!" but it's so true, and here I am :fust Thanks for reading!

Lilac_rose (and Luna!)

·
Registered
716 Posts
Welcome Lilac_rose and Luna! Look forward to hearing about her quirks :)

And you are right, adult black cats are one of the categories of cats at shelters that are least-likely to be adopted. Sounds like you two were meant to find each other :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, thank you for replying! I didn't know my post was even up here yet, I believe it had to be moderated first?? Also thank you for noting that black cats can have a hard time getting adopted for some reason; I think I've heard that before too, and I happen to like black cats anyway :) And yes, I'm so happy we ended up being a match :)

So, I know very little about Luna's previous life. She and her kittens were apparently abandoned when her owners moved out of their apartment. (I know...some people just suck!!!) Neighbors heard her howling, and called the animal rescue society. The society people came and rescued them, separated Luna from her kittens, spayed, vaccinatted, and tattooed her, and she was put right up for adoption (it was two weeks until I came by). That is a LOT for a little cat to go through in a short time. Plus with owners who'd leave behind their cat/kittens when they move...I have to wonder what her life in general had been like :( Luna was definitely a cat in need of a "forever home".

So I took Luna home and she quickly got used to me and my apartment. She was quite at ease and started exploring almost immediately, and she was happy to get rubs/attention. In many ways Luna is pretty typical cat; she's friendly, curious, and affectionate. She charms everyone she meets by doing the typical sashaying/purring/parading around them. She's dutifully used her scratching post from day one, and she never minded having a collar on at all. She just adapted to her new life really well.

Soon we had one issue that's pretty much OK now, but I'll explain anyway. Luna (understandably) LOVED to go outside, to the point of it being all she wanted to do. I'm on the ground floor and I have a good-sized deck and garden that's fenced, and I hoped she could come outside with me when I was gardening, or spend time there with supervision and on a leash. To make a long story short, she became obsessed with it, meowing constantly to go outside, she was totally untrustworthy even with supervision, it always seemed like she wanted to bolt, and I thought I was going to have make her a solely inside cat. Tried that for about a day, and she cried and howled almost nonstop like she was being tortured, it was awful!! But somehow the outside thing got easier; she's much more relaxed now, I think she realizes she can go out several times a day. I still leash and supervise her but sometimes she even comes in by herself now! Similarly, she used to knock herself out trying to get out of my apartment door so she could explore the hallway; she still likes to do that but she's calmer about it now. I'm really glad these aren't such a "big deals" anymore.

Cont'd...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have a black cat. :) a Bombay. I came here for advice as well. He's either the paragon of perfection or a domestic terrorist. I love him to pieces, my iso. As crazy as this sounds, he came to me in a dream (I know, I know..) but i found him that afternoon. He's my child. Lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts