Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my cat finally started to eat wet food, (yay!), but he seems to only like California Natural's Venison and brown rice which is made with "fish broth". the first ingredient is venison, but the second ingredient is herring and i think the fourth ingredient is fish broth.

I heard that fish isn't that good for cats and shouldn't be a part of their everyday diet. I would like to continue giving him this food, but what about the fish in it?

Why exactly is fish bad for cats, and why do so many cat foods have it in them?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Fish is mostly used as a flavoring and/or source of protein and fatty acids. Cats like it, so a lot of foods include it. As long as it's not at the top of the list of ingredients, you're probably okay.

Fish is a major allergen in cats, and a lot of cats seem to be sensitive to fish and will develop bladder infections from it.

Occasional fish-flavored cat food is not a problem for most cats, but I generally recommend to stay away from it.

I thought this was an old wives' tale until it happened to me! One Friday night I ran out of cat food and split a can of tuna between my 3 cats. By Sunday, 2 of them had raging urinary tract inflammations, and at 6 a.m. Monday I was doing surgery on the male, who blocked. Never again!!!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Thanks for that :) I've been wondering why everyone keeps talking about how bad fish is, but didn't want to seem ignorant for asking why.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
darn.....its just getting harder and harder to find a good food that does not have any of the icky stuff in it!

my cat has severe skin allergies....loss of hair, infected scabs, itchyness, and after two cortisone shots that brought our cat back to normal, but then went back to being miserable once the shots wore off, we thought maybe he has a food allergy. so far all he has eaten is dry chicken based kibble.

our vet said maybe its the chicken so he put us on duck and peas formula from IVD. ok, maybe that will help, but unfortunately the canned version has meat-by-products as its second or third ingredient. this is what began our search for good quality, no by-product, no chicken, no corn, wheat or soy canned food.

now we have to add fish to the "no" list.....

so far nature's variety has some cat food that seems perfect, but boy is it expensive!

anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
The top allergens in cats are: chicken, beef, fish, wheat, corn, and dairy. This is because these are the most common ingredients in cat food. We develop allergies, usually, to things that we are most often exposed to.

Nature's Variety is a fabulous food, but it is expensive, that's for sure! IVD has in the past been a good food; recently it was bought by Royal Canin. I wouldn't think that the quality would decline under their guidance, but you never know.

Petguard also makes a couple of "hypoallergenic" canned foods (venison is one, they might also have lamb and/or rabit) that might be a bit kinder to your wallet. If you can't find it locally try www.petfooddirect.com.

In this kind of situation, homemade might actually turn out to be better and cheaper, and more likely to promote healing because it is unprocessed.

Oftentimes the allergy is not actually to food, but by reducing the total number of substances the cat is exposed to and putting it on what is essentially a bland diet, great improvement can be seen. You might want to read my article on IBD, which is based on the same principles as skin allergies. http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=011

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
676 Posts
hmm, if IVD has infact been bought out by Royal Canin, I imagen they might change it similar to Waltham (aka Advantage) I believe it's called outside of the USA.

There are also good canned foods in all sorts of meat from Wysong which you can also find on petfooddirect.com amoung other places :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, what about fish oil, is that just as bad as there being fish in the food? i found the petguard food and my cat just gobbled it up, but i noticed it had fish oil as the 6th ingredient. its ok for him to eat this food everyday, right?

am i being too paranoid??? lol

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Fish *oil* is okay because it doesn't contain the protein (allergenic) and ash of whole fish.

I do not recommend feeding the same thing all the time. That's asking for trouble. Find several flavors he likes and rotate them. For more info see "Switching Foods" in our free article library, at:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good,

i can keep feeding my cat that brand. i know to keep changing the food around....so far i was able to get venison, rabbit, duck, and lamb from about 4 different companies. i hope that's enough variety for my cat....and i hope he doesn't get all scabby again!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts