Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry, I couldn't think of a better title. haha And also I apologize, because this post is going to probably be very long.

My mom lives out in the middle of nowhere and animals are always getting dropped off near her road, she being an animal lover they must sense this and always come to her house. Anyway, this approx 4 month old kitten showed up about a month ago. I had lost my darling baby to old age in March and was lonely, she some how convinced me to take this white kitty. We have named him Scooter.

Now, we have 7 cats (Scooter is #7). Three stay outside, one all the time (she refuses to come inside, we make her when it rains) two stay out there only during the day. Another one stays outside on the covered porch and sleeps on the hot tub all day (and night lol). One is 16yo and sleeps all day in her spot in the bedroom. The other one is pretty active and runs around the house. And then Scooter is just a normal, playful, sweet, rambunctious kitten.

All of my litterboxes (6 boxes) are outside on a covered and screened in porch (where the hot tub is). I clean them once a day.

The day after we brought him home their was a HUGE pile of poop and pee on the futon. Eeek! We said. We thought is was one of the other cats, thinking they were mad. It was surely way too big to be a kitten. Next day it happened again. Okay, now we are getting mad. Our cats have never done this. Next day, we catch him peeing on the futon. It was Scooter the whole time! Big huge cat poops from a teeny cat. ugh.

So, now we knew who it was, and I started blocking him off onto the porch. (The porch has one of those cat doors and I can lock the door) I scoop them after every cat so I can make sure he goes outside. I go outside every so often and feel his bladder. It gets bigger and bigger... Then about 10pm when the pee/poop magically appears, I waited and watched him closely.. He didn't go. I felt his bladder, can now feel big turd (and BIG bladder). He still wouldn't go! I was getting tired, and as a last resort I put a litterbox in the bathroom with some water and a bed. I shut him in there for the night. In the morning, I checked the box, and he did use it. I thought for sure he would go on the pillow. I clean out this box constantly, I can't stand the smell inside the house.

A few days go by and we decide to let him out of the bathroom for all day..he goes back to peeing and pooping on the futon!!! I don't understand why he won't use the boxes outside, and won't use the box in the bathroom unless he is shut in there and can't go anywhere else.

Why does he continue to go on the futon?!

I can't stick him outside because he's solid white (green eyes, not deaf, he's got black guard hairs on his ear), he'll get skin cancer.

I really don't want to get rid of him, he is just too sweet. And I'm also afraid of what will happen to him when someone else realizes he likes to go on furniture.

TL;DR: cat poops and pees on futon, why won't he stop?! Please help, I don't know what to do!

·
Registered
804 Posts
His poo and pee smell is on the futon, so he'll keep going there for sure unless you remove the smell. I recommend Nature's Miracle spray from a pet store; it's worked well from when my kitten was peeing on towels I put down for him. When I didn't remove the smell, he'd keep peeing on them. Hopefully once the smell is gone he'll stop peeing there? Being used to being outside, its not super unusual that he's not in love with the litter box, but usually the kittens will go in a potted plant or something... I've never heard of using a futon before. Perhaps you could put a litter box next to the futon once its clean? Also, you could try a different type of cat litter (some cats will refuse to use certain kinds of litter). I hope something I've said helps... unfortunately potty problems are the number one reason cats end up in shelters.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have used the enzyme spray (I however ran out) on the right side of the futon, but then he started going on the left side. I will get some more, flip the futon over and steam clean the bottom also, and will also thoroughly soak it with the spray.

I cannot move the litter boxes from the porch, or more like, I refuse to. I cannot stand the urine/poo smell. I can rearrange them though. I'll put the hood back on one (cats don't like it) and put another one behind a rocking chair I have out there. Then there will also be the one in the bathroom, where he stays at night and has breaks during the day.

The two litters I use is the scoop-able, and the pine fresh/wood pellets kind. Should I change brands? Is that what you mean by change litters?

I just don't understand that if he wants privacy why it's such a problem to go in the box when he's not shut in the bathroom.

He also isn't neutered yet (he will be). I don't know if it will change any of these problems though.

·
Registered
804 Posts
yes

That's what I meant about changing litters. You can try changing the brand and/or the type (clay vs wood vs corn vs newspaper etc). As far as neutering, if he's spraying it should clear that up, but if he's just going to the bathroom because he has to go, I'm not really sure if it will help? I hope something does, though. I know you must be frustrated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, he's not spraying.

After I get the futon cleaned off very well, I'm going to put one of those waterproof sheets/pads on it. That way next time we test him to see if he's better, it won't be a big mess to clean.

I'll get a new litter too... gee the free cats are always the most expensive! LOL

·
Registered
889 Posts
If you can't stand the urine/poop smell from the litter boxes... then scoop them clean more often...? XD

I clean my litterboxes twice a day and have NEVER smelled overwhelming stenches from them, even from the ones that are stored in a small room.

And wood/pine litters are terribad in my opinion - they do nothing to neutralize odor. All they do is absorb the urine and that's it. So, after a cat urinates, you've got a pee-sodden ball of wood shreds and nothing more. If you've got nothing against a clay litter like Arm & Hammer or Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat, I'd switch to that (some people have nearly zealous issues with clay litter, I've noticed). I really like Precious Cat - it's unscented, absorbs odors like a champ, and clumps beautifully.

Some cats also REALLY don't like the feel of the pine litter against their pawpads. It's nothing like the "natural" soil/dirt they use (or sand if you want to trace the behavior back to their desert-dwelling ancestors). So, it could be that Scooter just hates the feel of pine against his paws and so refuses to use the boxes.

You've got nothing to lose by trying out another kind of litter ;} At least a small batch in one or two boxes to see if Scooter takes to those.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use two different types of litter, the clay and the pine. Like, I have two boxes with the pine (outside; they only like to pee in these); and the other four have the clay litter. Honestly, I buy what is on sale or what I have a coupon for. lol I usually buy Tidy Cats, Arm n Hammer, or Fresh Step (all clumping). I do however have a box of some store brand clumping litter from Tractor Supply in the trunk. Haven't used it yet, dunno If I'll like it. ($10 for 40lbs!)

I change out the one in the house every time some body uses it; maybe my nose is sensitive? I have no idea. I did put a baking soda box back there and it helps a lot.

Anyway, Scooter has taken to using the box. I have been giving him treats every time I see him go. He hasn't had an 'accident' in a while. I also have yet to let him stay outside of the bathroom at night though. Kind of scared to try that one haha. Maybe in another week we will see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts