Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello every one I decided to bring home a persian kitten on my daughter's birthday in jan, I planed this around 6 months back and from that day I have done lot of research on net regarding there care and food and I set my mind for raw food diet with the most common recipe of raw grounded chicken with bones, heart, leavers and all the other supplements but few days back one of my friend told me that she only feed her cats with dry food because raw chicken causes salmonella and it's very dangerous for cats, and my other friend told me that he feed hid cats boiled chicken and no added supplements please help me guys i am very confused hope to get reply soon thanks.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Just feeding boiled chicken is going to starve the cat of vital nutrients, especially calcium and taurine. If he doesn't switch to something nutritionally complete, the cat will go blind and become ill.

And interestingly enough, dry food almost always has some salmonella present. The way it is processed, it is nearly impossible to eliminate. The recent recalls in dry foods were because the salmonella levels were lethally high, not that they were just present.

I have fed my cats raw for about a year. I do a prey model diet, but the recipe on catinfo.org is a great, widely used ground recipe. I highly encourage it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
392 Posts
It's a diet where you model an entire animal by using animal parts. It consists of 80% muscle meat, 10% edible bone, 5% liver, and 5% secreting organ, typically kidney. It's a harder diet to follow, since it's important to get the ratios correct and to provide enough animal variety since you don't use supplements as you would in the ground raw recipe on catinfo.org

·
Premium Member
7,855 Posts
Catinfo.org as several recipes for raw feeding. Pre-ground raw is more apt to have salmonella, but if you grind it yourself at home as needed there is less likelihood of contamination.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a diet where you model an entire animal by using animal parts. It consists of 80% muscle meat, 10% edible bone, 5% liver, and 5% secreting organ, typically kidney. It's a harder diet to follow, since it's important to get the ratios correct and to provide enough animal variety since you don't use supplements as you would in the ground raw recipe on catinfo.org

Which one are the edible bones

·
Registered
146 Posts
Whole chicken is a little high in bone if you aren't adding another source of boneless meat. Start with catinfo.org, as recommended above, as there is a TON of information there. More than enough to get you started. If you follow her recipe, you could safely feed a balanced raw diet for the rest of your cat's life. Though as time goes on and you read and learn more you will probably end up making slight tweaks to better suit you and your cat.

Bones do not have to be edible sized if you are grinding them, but if you are not, you will have to find prey that contains small enough bones for your cat to eat. Edible bones can vary between cats as well. Some will be able to eat bigger bones than others, it just depends on their size and chewing ability. Ground bones will be easier for your cat to eat, as well as give you the ability to give small amounts of bone each day (which makes the risk of constipation or runny stools less likely).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So in ground chicken I can use any bone and I will be buying persian kitten so I can feed the kitten with same recipe and I also want to know that male kitten is better or female kitten is better.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Catinfo.org as several recipes for raw feeding. Pre-ground raw is more apt to have salmonella, but if you grind it yourself at home as needed there is less likelihood of contamination.
hi 1 of the forum member told me that he feeds dry and canned food to his cats i ask him why not raw he said that "domestic cats have evolved with living with humans and so has their physiology, infact many purebreed cats like persians have a fragile digestive system and don't do well at all in raw meat" hope to get reply soon regarding it thanks.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Well, the pet food industry has been around for about 100 years, and persian cats have been officially recognized for about 150 years, but there have been hieroglyphic references of them from as early as 1600 BC. Pretty sure The Egyptians didn't have any Purina on hand.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Let me stress, properly formulated raw is the best you can feed a fat. Please be aware of every single ingredient you will need and do not make raw unless you are using the correct proportions along with the correct vitamins and minerals added.

·
Premium Member
7,855 Posts
So in ground chicken I can use any bone and I will be buying persian kitten so I can feed the kitten with same recipe and I also want to know that male kitten is better or female kitten is better.

So, Sameer, to answer your original question, yes you can grind up any of the bones. You will find some easier to grind than others. The thigh bones are relatively large so may bog down your grinder - use a hammer to smash them to make it easier to put through the grinder if you find you are having problems. When I grind thighs, I take some of the bones out and throw them away (about 25% worth) so that the ratio of meat to bone is higher. Catinfo.org has more information on this. Here is an excerpt: "Therefore, I use poultry thighs, which have a lot of meat relative to the bone. I dilute the bone even further by removing ~25% of the thigh bones. If I am grinding 20 thighs, I remove 5 bones."

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 more thing i want to know, every saturday i go out with my wife and daughter for movie, shopping etc so my kitten will be alone so 1 of the forum member told me to buy a timed wet cat feeder with ice pack which can keep the food fresh i found one on amazon link is below, i want to know that can i put raw food in that and i hope the ice pack will not make the food very cold can you guys please check the product and let me know hope to get reply soon thanks.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts