Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think, is there a connection between the color of the fur and the character of a cat? Or are all these statements too general and just clichés?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think in large part that they're just stereotypes, like the ones that are attached to people's skin color. Red cats have a reputation for being sweet and affectionate, Siamese have a reputation for having "attitudes." Many may follow the trend, but like racial stereotypes, they're probably not as true as people accept them to be.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Sometimes (although not always) there will be a connection between the breed of a cat and its character. But, I don't believe there's any connection between the color of a cat and its character. I suspect that's as much a cliché as "blonds have more fun"!

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
I have an orange cat that often has quite an attitude. My newest orange boy is a complete lover, though. My flame point Siamese both have the most interesting personalities, and the black and tuxedo cats are just great cats all around. Some of the best cats I have ever had were gray tabbies, but Juno breaks the mold - she's just a lady with catitude. So, I imagine the color personality connection are cliches. They are all special in their own way.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
This is always a topic of interest. I do believe there is some truth to color and personality, but also the breed of cat is of influence. Here's any interesting article on this subject:

IS COAT COLOUR LINKED TO TEMPERAMENT?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't. But only based on personal experience:

I lost my cat. I found a cat that looks almost exactly like him and I really thought it was him. I adopted him, and he is totally different from my missing cat. Neither are better/worse than the other, but their personalities are totally different.

·
Banned
470 Posts
Cats don't choose their colors, but adopters do. So perhaps a better question is how cat color reflects on the personality of the caretaker.

I hear that black cats for example tend to be adopted by women that ride broomsticks and give poison apples to unsuspecting girls. :p

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I hear that black cats for example tend to be adopted by women that ride broomsticks and give poison apples to unsuspecting girls. :p
lol

I think there is some merit to the idea, especially since some colors/patterns tend to be sex-linked genetically. It's just hard to give a definitive answer since there is the whole nature vs. nurture concept to consider as well.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Cats don't choose their colors, but adopters do. So perhaps a better question is how cat color reflects on the personality of the caretaker.
That's another interesting topic. Somehow I always end up adopting kind of nutty mischievous diabolical animals. My aesthetic preferences for both cats and dogs seem to coincidentally match breeds that are notorious for this sort of personality (pomeranians, siamese cats).

But I also enjoy that sort of personality in a pet, as I find it amusing and challenging. I wonder if it's just a coincidence that my aesthetic and personality preferences in breeds are linked?

·
Registered
32 Posts
In (purbred) dogs there are some temperment color links. The three color varieties of cocker spaniels have distinct personalities, blacks stubborn and mischivious, tans (ASCOB) being softer and particolored hyperactive and fun loving. This has been my experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts