Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately Penelope has been refusing to eat her dry food, and rather than eat it, she will take it out of the bowl and play with it. She will also meow and moew for me to put water into her dry food so that it resembles soup. She will then lick up the water and eat the dry food that has now turned to mush. If I don't give in to her whining, she will grudingly eat some of the dry eventually.

She is only 8 months old and I can't figure out why she has started to do this all of a sudden. I don't want to be a bad mommy :(

Should I not feed her dry food? Should I feed more wet food (currently she shares half a can with Pepe twice a week)? Is making a lake out of the dry food a bad thing?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Some cats can have sensitive teeth and eating hard food can be, well, hard. Teddy couldnt chew dry food for a while, so he had wet food until his teeth grew strong enough. I'd give kitty a dental exam to see if a tooth is rotty or has a cavity.

OR.. Some cats just love having water with their dry food! Really! People normally do that to help introduce dry food to puppies/kittens. Mushy dry food can be as yummy as the original. It's like cookie dough. You like it raw and baked :lol:

·
Registered
454 Posts
A good quality wet food is actually better for your kitty than dry. Scan through the listings of threads in the Health and Nutrition forum, and you'll find a great deal of information.

I was particularly impressed by this message and this message. Both of them are from Dr. Jean.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Currently she is free-fed a mixture of Evolve and Go Natural dry, as well as Wellness canned. To my knowledge, these are all very good foods and I spent considerable time researching them.

When I first came to this forum to help me find an appropriate food, the major concensus was that dry food was the way to go, with the occasional canned food as a treat. Now it seems that everybody is saying I should be feeding canned without any dry involved?

I'm slighty confused. Which is it?!

·
Registered
454 Posts
It wasn't my intent to confuse you. I haven't been here as long as you, so I missed the confusion that would have come from evolving viewpoints. Presently it appears that there's an advantage in feeding predominately wet, rather than dry.

You might check the reasons offered in the threads discussing wet vs. dry threads, and see what you think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts