Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. It has been SOOOOOO long since I have posted here. I got into the habit of posting here when my cat, Andie, got very sick about 4 years ago... and then after everyone here helped me through 4 of the most difficult months of mine and Andie's lives... I was so happy she was doing better that I've been MIA. I really need to reconnect with everyone.

Andie is 11.5 yrs old now. She has IBD but has been doing phenomenally well since she switched to a diet of Natural Balance Venison and Green Pea canned food with a tiny bit of Natural Balance Duck and Green Pea dry food.

But for the past 4-5 days she has been acting strange. Hunching, crouching, not interested in anything, no energy, and hardly eating a thing. In addition, she hasnt pooped and hardly peed. I took her to the vet today and he said she is dehydrated and very constipated. He said she is "full of feces." He wanted me to keep her overnight but then said I could take her home and see how she does tonight. He gave her fluids under the skin and injected her with a stool softener (and an anti-acid - Ranitadine, and Cerenia - which I think is to stop vomiting - which she hasnt done). I have to give her more Lactulose (that's the stool softener) before I attempt to sleep. I'm dreading that b/c it's apparently thick and sweet and I know she will flip when I try shooting it down her throat.

If she doesnt poop by morning, I have to bring her back in and they may need to sedate her and remove the feces manually. Since she's been home from vet, about 4:45 pm, she has eaten a tiny tiny bit and has been asleep on the recliner ever since. She hasnt gone near the litter box. I am in a panic that this stool softener wont work and she will need to go back in the morning.

Has anyone here ever had a constipated cat? Have they needed to have it removed manually? Have you used Lactulose? If so, what should I expect...

ugh, I'm a wreck!! My Andie is miserable :-(

·
Registered
254 Posts
Pumpkin has gotten things moving in my cat as well. If she does not have a bowel movement soon, she may have to go back to the vet. Poor baby.:patbackShe will be in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well my girl pooped last night at around 11. I was thrilled. She didnt even strain. Usually she spends 10 mins burying her poop, but last night, she peed,then pooped then hopped out without burying. I thought she'd go back to herself right away, I dont know why. But she is still hardly eating a thing, and has little energy. Normally she is waking me up at 5 am whining for food... she hasnt for days. This morning, same thing. Stayed on the recliner all night, asleep with the space heater pointed towards her (figured it'd comfort her, she loves the warmth). This morning she didnt want her breakfast. I gave her treats, which she happily took, just cause I want her to have something in her belly. I called vet but he isnt in yet... I gave her another dose of Lactulose at 11:30 last night.. I am wondering if she still has lots of poop left in her. Doc did say she was full. I guess just one bowel movement isnt enough?? I am just still worried. :-(

I can try pumpkin I guess... though she is ridiculously picky... and with her IBD, I am afraid to give her anything outta the ordinary. Thoughts?? Do you think she just needs time to feel better??

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Hope the lactulose continues to work. The dehydration was probably the problem. See what your vet says...I think pumpkin would be good IF she will eat it. My cat Sophie had IBD and was extremely picky about food and wouldn't touch it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the doc says she needs to come back in today. he wants to give her an x ray just in case there is something blocking her bowels. but she pooped. main concern is if she is still dehydrated and the fact that she still shows little to no interest in food... and doesnt have much energy.

He said her bloodwork came back mostly ok, only her glucose level is a little high. Not sky high. Could be from stress. But he also wants her to come back NEXT WEEK when she is hopefully feeling better again to check her glucose levels again just to be sure they're normal.

Does this all sound like it is necessary? Or do you think she just needs more time to poop more?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Tammy, my 10 year old cat who lives with my parents, has chronic constipation, which sounds a lot like Andie's condition. About 4 months ago she had the same symptoms as you've described- she was very lethargic, she wouldn't even lift her head if you entered the room, or if the dog did- which is very unlike her, she's so feisty unsually. She hadn't pooped or urinated for 3 days and hadn't eaten for 2/3 days, and was straining to poop on the bathroom mat (she's an indoor/outdoor cat so doesn't have a litter tray) which, as you can imagine, was unusual behaviour. Mum took her to the vet who said Tammy was constipated, highly dehydrated and had a very high temperature, so much so that the vet said Tammy wouldn't have wanted to move at all. She vet prescribed the same meds as Andie has had, including injecting water under her skin on the scruff of her neck. Mum then took Tammy home. Tammy had a poop, but didn't eat for the next day. Mum took her back to the vet who decided to operate to remove the 'blockage'. Tammy went under, and then came round and (thankfully) was fine. She came home the same day, a little lighter and with a sore bum (poor thing!)- Mum said she'd growl whenever anyone even went to stroke her back/tail. Tammy was told to stay on a wet food only diet, as her dry food would cause the constipation to return. She also has to have Rapeseed oil added to her food to make it extra slippery! Tammy returned back to the vet for two check-ups, and in December for her booster jabs and all is well! Apparently once a cat has had such chronic constipation it frequently reoccurs, so Tammy has to be on wet food/oil forever now, but other than that she's returned to being a healthy, happy cat. She's even lost a little bit of weight, which is good as she was a bit 'round'!

Try not to worry too much if Andie does need an operation for it, if she otherwise healthy, she'll be fine.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I have mixed feelings... the fact that she pooped last night is a good thing. Yes, she probably still has a lot of feces in there, but it CAN come out. I would probably be more inclined to try an enema before sedation and manual excavation of the feces. It doesn't sound as if she is truley impacted at this point.

Does it sound like that is an option with your vet? They may give her more subcutaneous fluids to keep her well hydrated (not at all a bad thing). I wouldn't feel the need to rush into sedation at this point though.

How high was the glucose? Stress can certainly do it, and it sounds like she's been through a good bit and has reason to be stressed. Did they do a urinalysis? Glucose should be present in the urine if she is really diabetic. Rechecking the glucose shouldn't be a big deal, but if she is normally pretty nervous and stressed going to the vet, it may not be all that helpful.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
the doc says she needs to come back in today. he wants to give her an x ray just in case there is something blocking her bowels. but she pooped. main concern is if she is still dehydrated and the fact that she still shows little to no interest in food... and doesnt have much energy.
Dehydration is a common cause of constipation, and both dehydration and constipation can make a cat feel very ill and inappetant. So it's extremely important to make sure that Andie maintains proper hydration. If Andie is badly dehydrated, you should take her back to your vet for IV or subQ fluids in order to rehydrate her properly. Once she is adequately rehydrated, you should be able to maintain proper hydration at home. To that end, you should permanently eliminate ALL kibble from her diet (kibble is dehydrating) and add warm water to her canned food to make it a gruel that she can lap up. You can also place more water bowls around your house and/or buy a pet fountain if she likes running water. Cats also love to drink water out of fish bowls. If you implement all of those tactics and Andie still can't maintain good hydration, you should have your vet teach you how to administer subQ fluids at home so that you can provide the extra hydration that she may need.

It is, of course, possible that she does have some sort of bowel obstruction other than feces that she can't pass on her own, though that is typically more a problem of younger cats who ingest toys and other inedible objects.

Assuming, however, that she is just badly constipated, it's important to note that lactulose will not soften constipated stool. Lactulose WILL soften newly forming stool, but it won't do anything for dry, constipated stool that is already in her system. It is more of a prevention than a cure. For constipated stool, a lubricant laxative (hairball remedy) is generally more effective, though it may not be sufficient to help her resolve a really bad constipation. When one of my cats has become badly constipated, I have found that a vet-administered enema was necessary to clear the system of impacted stool. You should discuss an enema with your vet ASAP, because Andie can possibly get into much more serious trouble (hepatic lipidosis) if the constipation and inappetance continues.

He said her bloodwork came back mostly ok, only her glucose level is a little high. Not sky high. Could be from stress.
Both pain and stress can elevate glucose (both of which Andie is experiencing right now), so I wouldn't worry about that blood value under these circumstances.

do you think she just needs more time to poop more?
If she were my cat, I would get her back to the vet right away for an enema and more fluids. Time may only cause more stool to back up in her system and make matters worse for her. She needs to get cleaned out before the lack of eating causes serious trouble for her liver.

Laurie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts