Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Emma seems constipated.

We were travelling for a week and her sitter reported no poop for about four days, then a small hard poop, then a normal one. In the day and a half since we came home, she's had one tiny hard poop, out of her box. No blood.

She seems otherwise fine. She behaves normally, is eating (we only feed her wet food), is producing a fair amount of urine and is not straining in her litter box, so far as we can tell. She threw up a hairball a few days ago, but that's not unusual for her.

Is this a vet issue? Should we try some pumpkin? If so, exactly what form? 1/8 teaspoon miralax? Something else?

All of the other constipation posts I've seen have involved cats which seemed in distress or having other symptoms, which is not the case here.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you have a regular vet I would call for advice. That she is urinating and pooping at all means to me that she got stressed over the away time. I would try a little pumpkin and plenty of attention. For dinner maybe some boiled boneless chicken breast. Cats have a way of processing stress that isn't easy to discern and she still might be stressing.

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Since she's eating, peeing & pooping I would not be running to the vet. Some plain canned pumpkin (no pie spices) would be helpful. Diggin' Pets also makes a powdered pumpkin that you reconstitute yourself. I'd start with 1/2 tsp. You can go up to a tbsp if need be. I would stick with her canned food and also add some water.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We don't really have a regular vet. She pooped another small dry pellet.

I'll try some plain pumpkin pie filling (no spices), about a tsp or tbsp per meal, in her food? Her regular canned food (Weruva paw lickin chicken) is rather moist, but we'll try adding a bit of water (her other fav, Evo 95% chicken and turkey, was unfortunately discontinued, and we haven't found a replacement). We leave her a bowl of water, but we've never seen her drink water.

Does that all sound correct?

BTW, we often rub her with moist hands to remove excess fur and she had a lot this time.

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
Yes, the more water you can get into her, the better. I think just a little bit of pumpkin - maybe not even a tsp. If the pumpkin doesn't do anything, and she's still eating, I'd start Miralax. You don't want to wait until she stops eating or gets very uncomfortable, at which point she might need an enema. If she has been eating a normal amount all this time, and has only produced one normal poop, then it sounds like she definitely needs your help. If she's a kitty who likes tummy rubs, you could try massaging her tummy. When my kitty got constipated (which was frequent), sometimes the vet would try to just "break up" some of the hard stool by massaging her tummy area.

The extra fur might go along with DizzysDad's suspicion that this might be a stress reaction to your absence. The amount of fur my kitties shed at the vet was astonishing sometimes. She may continue to be stressed for another couple of days until she's reassured that you aren't going away again (at least in the immediate future). Lots of snuggles and attention should help on that front.

I hope something works soon! :)

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
My little girl never would drink out of her bowl of water so I tried a fountain and she drinks from it all the time. I was amazed. Might want to give that a try at sometime. It’s worth a try.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The pumpkin worked like magic. I put a tsp on her food. She sniffed it, walked away, came back and tentatively licked it, then went to her box and had a normal pee and poop.

She's been eating somewhat dried pet grasses throughout (she won't eat it when it's fresh). That might have had an effect. Or maybe it was just time.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
So glad to hear it fusion! Now that you know she'll take the pumpkin, you have a plan in case she gets constipated again. Maybe something to keep around in case of future travels!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She did not poop since I posted yesterday (about 36 hours), although she otherwise behaved normally and produced plenty of urine. I put a teaspoon of pumpkin in her food, which was once again magic. She looked at it and immediately went to her litter box. A lot of scratching and a bit of meowing. She produced some poop and a bit of urine.

I'm not sure if I should start to worry. I'll continue to monitor the situation.

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
Ok just so I'm clear, so she went 36 hours without pooping, but then she did poop a bit today too?

As long as she's still eating/peeing/pooping/otherwise behaving normally, there's probably no reason to worry. It might just be that it'll take her body a couple of days to right itself.

But I think you're right to keep an eye out given the scratching and meowing in the box. If the poop seemed hard, then she may still be constipated, and I'd try adding a little Miralax to her food (dissolve in water first before adding). Since she peed plenty yesterday, it's not likely that she has a UTI. However, since UTIs can be brought on by stress, if she starts making multiple visits but producing only small amounts of urine each time, or if she starts to avoid the litterbox and pee elsewhere, then it's probably time for a vet visit.

How old is Emma, by the way?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.