Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

My cat has been struggling with a problem for about two months, once in awhile he'll lick his lips continuously, sometimes this coincides with what looks like a hairball cough, but it could be ordinary coughing. Our other two cats have mild asthma so we know what that looks like and it's not that. He has been to the vet, twice, and they seem stumped. He presents no problems with his teeth, his blood work was fine other than I think they said his globulin protein - I'm hoping that's correct, I'm not that knowledgable about this sort of stuff - was low. She said we could investigate that further, we could also get x-rays done, try some meds, etc. He initially came in for a limp which has never really gone away and only started when we moved to a house with hard wood floors. She figures arthritis, he's six, but no real word on the lip licking thing. The best way to describe it is like a dog with peanut butter on the roof of his mouth. He's happy, social, eats well, drinks well, goes the bathroom, does everything a cat should do. Since no new symptoms have come up, we're holding off on the vet until this Covid-19 crap settles a little. I believe she said the protein thing isn't unusual in rescues and might just be the way he is. His symptoms don't really match acid reflux, although we considered it. I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced something similar? It happens randomly, only a few times a month and episodes range from a few seconds to a minute in duration. We discussed seizures as well but she didn't think so after evaluating.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
26,433 Posts
I've never heard of this as a continuing problem. One of my girls does this when she's about to return the meal she just ate, but that's it.

I did see this:

Ptyalism is hypersalivation and might make a cat lick his lips. The cause of the excessive salivation could indicate a number of health conditions.
I hope you find some answers, not knowing is so frustrating.

·
Registered
1 Posts
a cat I was checking out at the local shelter was doing this and when I asked about it, they said it meant he was nervous....?

don't know if that's accurate. but that's what they seemed to think

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions! I've read similar things about salivating and oral hygiene problems but we haven't seen him drooling, yet. We also considered a mouth ulcer for similar reasons but his gums look healthy. He has had rodent ulcer in the past, he's sensitive to certain materials like plastic, or stress can trigger it, his poor little lips will swell but it's been a year since he's had that problem. I was thinking maybe it is just nausea? It happens so infrequently. We haven't switched his food or anything, it's strange. It could be a nervous tic, maybe the stress of moving has manifested this way? Either way, we've put anything plastic he might get a hold of up and out of the way and we'll continue monitoring him. Unfortunately it seems like my country will be under lockdown sooner or later and our vet is restricting visits so we'll wait it out a little longer unless anything changes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts