Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently adopted a new kitten. The shelter gave me a bag of Science Diet dry, which is what they had been feeding him. I slowly switched him to wellness dry kitten formula, and am currently working on switching to wellness canned. I have tried mixing the cans with the dry, he will take a few licks and pick the kibbles out. I think it is a texture issue. I have tried giving it to him warm, cold, room temp, everything. I try giving him no option, but the canned food dries up before he gets hungry enough to eat it. Any suggestions??

Here are some pics, his name is Banjo :)

Banjo - Imgur

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
I had similar trouble with SHepherd Book on canned flavors he doesn't like.

I would pick up any dry food at night before bed (if you leave it out for him) and offer him the canned for breakfast. Leave it down for 15-20 minutes and if he doesn't eat it then pick it up, cover it and put it in the fridge.

Wait a 3 or hours and warm it up and offer it again. 15-20 minutes if he doesn't eat it pick it up again.

If you keep giving in he's going to learn that he can hold out longer than you can and you're going to have this issue everytime he feels fussy (at least imo).

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Banjo is adorable!

I had to try several brands before I found a canned food that Murphy would eat. He ended up finally eating Trader Joe's brand, which worked out great because it's good nutritionally and cheap compared to the other premium brands.

He was skeptical at first, but I found that if I left the plate out and let him investigate it a while, he eventually ate it. That's one tip I would offer, is to let it sit out a while before assuming she won't eat it.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys! I guess I just assume its a texture thing because he always seems interested right away, so he likes the smell, he just samples a bit and then walks away and doesnt go back to it.
Maybe i will try trader joe's brand. I have heard good things about it and I know its a little cheaper than the stuff im buying now. And I will try putting his food away at night. I have been free-feeding him, because he is in the habit of eating little bits at a time frequently which I feel is better than big meals a few times a day

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
For my picky kitty, I used this resource: Transitioning dry to canned for stubborn cats @ Catinfo.org

I feed half a can (2-3 ounces) in the morning, and just leave it out. It hardly ever dries up before it gets eaten all the way.

Then in the evening, the last half of the can (another 2-ish ounces for a total of 5.5 oz can split up in 2 meals).

I'm usually not home enough in the afternoon to do a 3rd meal mid-day. But the kitties seem fine with 2 meals.

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
I had to 3 meals a day. If I tried to give Book 9-12 ounces of food (what he gets daily right now) in just two meals he couldn't eat it all. It seemed to be just too much food for him at one time. FOr MowMOw it wasn't a big deal, he only eats 6 ounces total :p Not to say he complains about eating MORE often.

I give them about half before work then 1/4 when I get home and the last bit just before bed. I figure the largest amount to try and last them while I"m gone all day.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I had trouble swapping my two over.. When I finally found wet food they would actually eat (I went through so many brands), I tried giving them one wet meal and one dry meal a day. Fail. I found that if I put the wet food out and they didn't eat it by their next meal time, I'd replace it with new wet and they started to eat it. Sammy now prefers the wet but Meeka is a dry food junkie. She eats wet when that's all that's there but I give her tiny bit of kibble every few days as a treat now.
The only wet I can get them to eat isn't the quality I'd like them to be on but I'm hoping to eventually be able to change them over to a better quality.

Jett on the other hand came with the dry he was being fed before we adopted him and I tried to feed him that and transition him slowly but he started stealing Sammy and Meeka's wet food and has zero interest in his dry. I went out and bought kitten wet the next day and he'll eat that but he prefers the 'big kid' food.

Good luck getting Banjo onto wet. Don't give up - it can be done. There were many times I thought Meeka would never start eating the wet and it has only been a few weeks but we got there :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oh he is TOO cute!!!

You got a lot of good suggestions... many cats are picky about texture. I have three cats and each prefers a different texture: firm pate (nature's instinct), mushy pate (before grain), and chunky (weruva). So just experiment with different brands, textures, and proteins to see what he'll go for. You will waste a lot of money and food in the beginning, be prepared! But he's bound to like something.

Most articles also recommend stopping free-feeding, that way the normal hunger response kicks in and they are more likely to eat something new (I'm not sure though how this work for kittens). You just have to monitor calorie-intake to make sure he's not starving himself.

Oh, and microwaving it just enough to slightly warm it up and enhance the smell has helped me tremendously. And, for one of my cats, I had to mix in a bit of warm water to make it more like thick batter, so he could lap it up. I have since been able to remove the extra water.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Also, my cats won't touch (sniff, but then walk away) chunks or shreds. Even if I put it in a blender and make it soupy, they somehow still know it wasn't originally pate! LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts