Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I put thought into it and decided feeding whole prey is the easiest and one of the cheaper methods to give my kitties the best nutrition possible. I figured it would be a breeze to switch them over. WRONG.

Kyra is free fed kibble 24/7 and gets wet food at night. I know kibble is not great, but I bought a huge bag right before signing up on this forum. As far as I know, she has always eaten kibble with wet supplemented. I got her roughly a year ago and she was around 6 months when I adopted her. Her previous owner said she ate Blue with fancy feast wet. I have since upgraded her to Merricks wet.

Anyway, I tried to feed her a pink a few weeks ago. I thawed it out(Have a baby cornsnake) and gave it to her in a dish. ten minutes later it was still there. I cut it into three pieces. Nothing. Added cat milk, nothing. Added a crushed stinky treat(dehydrated salmon), nothing. Tossed out the mouse as it had been sitting out for some time. The next day I gave her two tablespoons of kibble in the morning then waited. At night I repeated the pink trials with the same results. I gave in and gave her canned food.

Fast forward to now and I am STILL not making any progress! :? What am I doing wrong?? Is it possible she doesn't like mice and I should try another prey item?

My other question is how to wean a kitten onto whole prey? I'm figuring it will be easier to get Tucker onto them as he doesn't know anything else. I was thinking blending a few pinks into KMR in a shallow dish instead of mixing wet food and milk as per the usual weaning process. Thoughts?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Try mixing the pinks INTO the canned food. Cut up at first, then once she eats them you can leave larger chunks.

See if Tucker will just eat a pinkie or two (smushed, cut up, whatever) once he's about 4 weeks old... I think that's when they generally start eating some solids?

Are you able to get a wide variety of whole prey? Mice, rats, ASF, frogs, chicks, quail, baby rabbits, etc? Doing ONLY whole prey still means you have to do a large variety.. and I would add in some chunky stuff on occasion for fun. :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have access to mice, rats, gerbils, hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, baby chickens through my frozen supplier. Is that enough or should I raise something too?

Also, I tried the pink cut in three pieces in her wet food. Was a no go. Should I try smaller pieces to trick her?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Absolutely smaller pieces! Anything to get her eating it (and not noticing). Ground works well too if you could handle it.

As for variety, I don't see much issue with what you can get. I would still suggest using chunks of other meats for variety (there are no reptiles or bugs in that, for example). Venison, elk, buffalo, emu, duck. Other whole prey items I would see if I could get would include: quail, frogs, crickets, beetles, etc etc.

Goodluck with kitty! :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the luck. :) The best I could do with lizards would be American Chameleons or Anoles(Same lizard, different name). I have two bearded dragons, and wouldn't have the heart to feed anything else. :?

I forgot to mention, I have a colony of Blaptica Dubia Roaches for the dragons. ;)

I can get Bison from the local supermarket, but emu and venison I will have to look for.

Actually, now that I think of it, there is a large Asian supermarket near here, maybe they will have it.

I have a blender and a boyfriend. How finely ground? :p

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for double post, Elk I will need to look for too, duck will prolly be at the Asian supermarket. :)

·
Registered
709 Posts
Finely ground enough that she won't need to chew it at first (they can be so finicky!) like canned food consistency. I know it sounds weird, but my one picky eater would eat pinks coated in tuna juice/parm cheese. STINKY! LOL

I bet my kids would LOOOVE anoles! We feed frog here and they LOVE it (ofcourse, the first 2-3 times I offered it they were hesitant - darn cats!). You have a pretty cool variety there, lucky kitties! The only thing I might add is a small Omega dense fish every so often. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts